Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Can't We Defend Corners Anymore?

Not the most pressing question in the scheme of things, but we seem to be conceding a huge number of goals from corners recently, just wondered why?

Is it a lack of drilling or coaching on the training ground,or the management team aren't too bothered about it and don't think it's a problem, or the players just aren't really too bothered, I know some bright spark is going to say there #### but a bit more insight would help please,,thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    This is nothing new this season, IIRC we weren't that special with TBH and the Beast in the heart of defence and favouring a zonal marking system. However I think @Tutt-Tutt has already touched upon this with regard to the short corner routines by Fulham which was not the issue last night.

Like all teams, apart from us it would seem, are doing their scouting homework and identifying our weaknesses, near post deliveries being attacked for two of the last four conceded from corners. Now the only way you can defend that is to have someone on the edge of the 6 yard box and goal line which JJ used to do. Should the keeper dominate his box more? Probably. Should we stick a man on the far post as a minimum? Probably. Will the coaching staff sort it out? Possibly..............but the horse has bolted :disappointed:
  • Options
    Effective defending is largely a matter of team organisation and that is all down to coaching. When you consider the knownothing monkeys we've had for headcoach in the last 18 months its really no surprise the team can't defend setpieces.
  • Options
    I don't think it's just the defending of our corners that are dreadful but also our general set plays are woeful. I've never known a Charlton team to be so poor with the delivery that we've seen this year. Before Mak scored at Rotherham when was the last time we had scored from a corner or freekick? It's got to come from the coaching and how we setup surely?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

This is nothing new this season, IIRC we weren't that special with TBH and the Beast in the heart of defence and favouring a zonal marking system. However I think @Tutt-Tutt has already touched upon this with regard to the short corner routines by Fulham which was not the issue last night.

Like all teams, apart from us it would seem, are doing their scouting homework and identifying our weaknesses, near post deliveries being attacked for two of the last four conceded from corners. Now the only way you can defend that is to have someone on the edge of the 6 yard box and goal line which JJ used to do. Should the keeper dominate his box more? Probably. Should we stick a man on the far post as a minimum? Probably. Will the coaching staff sort it out? Possibly..............but the horse has bolted :disappointed:

We don't have a scouting network it seems, that could be the reason?
  • Options
    We have used Bauer, Diarra, Lennon, Sarr, Johnson, Teixeira and Williams at centre back this season, with Lennon probably clocking the most game time other than Bauer, and he has only played about 30 first team games in his career so far.

Centre backs pairings are difficult to get just right as it is, the chemistry and understanding between them, who drops and who attacks the ball, who marks who etc. That relationship needs time to develop, and unfortunately time is something that we don't have.

If Bauer and Diarra had both played 30 games this season in the centre of defence I doubt we'd be conceding this many corners
  • Options
    Simple reason, are defenders are not goodenough, simple.
  • Options
    Jackson, despite his ageing legs, was very good at defending corners. Without him, nobody has stepped up....
  • Options
    Frankly, we've had a serial problem defending corners for some time now. I first noticed the shortcomings in a PSF against Crawley when Chris Powell was still in charge. It's got worse since. It can only be a combination of inadequate players and inadequate managers.
    I remember reading years ago that teams score from one in ten corners on average. I suspect it's less now as defending has become a combination of more robust and more sophisticated. We've shipped what four goals from corners in two games? Quite shocking.
  • Options
    we dont seem able to do much anymore to be fair
  • Options
    Bauer, Diarra, Big Mak and JJ are all good at defending corners... only 1 of those is playing at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After Burnley (Reza's corner) we've also conceded twice now from our own which is inexcusable
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Bauer, Diarra, Big Mak and JJ are all good at defending corners... only 1 of those is playing at the moment.

But we had Johnson, Fox, Texeira, Motta, Lennon all six foot plus players last night who can head a ball plus Cousins who is no slouch.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

But we had Johnson, Fox, Texeira, Motta, Lennon al six foot plus players last night who can head a ball plus Cousins who is no slouch.
    This.
    Add makinoks presence at defending corners to the mix and it makes it laughable that solly is the one challenging their forward.
  • Options
    Joe Garner is 1.78m tall... Chris Solly is 1.73m tall... I guess the only reason could be that Garner is one of the smallest players in the Preston side, hence why Solly was given him to mark.

Its a difficult one because who do you get your Defenders to mark at corners... the Strikers because they're the most lethal at finishing and know where the goal is, or their opposite Defenders because they're just as lethal at heading the ball?
  • Options
    Not enough defenders on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Naby Sarr - no where near good enough

Harry Lennon - Not good enough
    Morgan Fox - Not good enough

Alou Diarra - Not fit enough
    Paddy Bauer - not fit enough
    Chris Solly - arguably struggling (could be his knees.

THD - Still not decided
    Teixera - still not decided
  • Options
    Our coaches are shit.
    Our scouting is shit.
    Our manager is shit.
    Our defenders are shit.

I could go on but like the club I've lost interest.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

THD - Still not decided

I take it RoJo is off the scale shit.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

THD - Still not decided

I take it RoJo is off the scale shit.
    Lol, I thought he did ok last night for Rojo :wink: .
  • Options
    Just lazy last night. Makienok is left as the free defender and should be attacking the ball. He's caught on his heels and doesn't react.

We had every player back for the corner, but still didn't find it necessary to have anyone on the posts. Players like Solly shouldn't be man marking on corners, they should be safely tucked up next to a post to clear the ball off the line.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its a little basic this problem and shouldn't need much if any coaching to iron out. You learn to defend corners in primary school and get better at it over the years. By the time you have made it to high professional standard (which the Championship is) it is second nature, where to stand who to track and who to block. But mistakes get made, obviously mistakes are where the majority of goals come from in football. Most teams at this level don't repeat the same mistake over and over.

The solution is preparation, everybody on the field should know what to, when to do it, what happens when either team has the ball or at each others set plays etc., plus a whole list of opposition specific detail. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set a defence up, just a coach with some back up.

To me there seems to be a clear lack of knowledge of our opponents week in week out.
    Perhaps we need a new scouting network. ;-)
  • Options
    Heard a statistician on Talksport the other day saying that only 4% of corners lead to a goal. I'd like to know what percentage of our opponents corners have led to goals, it would put the size of our problem into stark reality.

• Options
    We probably don't practice defending set plays in training anyway.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Jackson, despite his ageing legs, was very good at defending corners. Without him, nobody has stepped up....

This is true. Also Chris Solly hasn't jumped for either of the last two headers conceded (neither scorer was a giant).
  • Options
    More full backs need to be signed
  • Options
    edited February 2016

More full backs need to be signed

Don't start Mr Fox off again ffs :wink: .
  • Options
    The problem is that none of our defenders take responsibility for attacking the ball. I also agree with @Simonsen about Solly. He's decent with someone coming at him with the ball on the floor but he is forever losing his position and player when marking in any other scenario.
  • Options

The problem is that none of our defenders take responsibility for attacking the ball. I also agree with @Simonsen about Solly. He's decent with someone coming at him with the ball on the floor but he is forever losing his position and player when marking in any other scenario.

I'd say Makienok has cleared his fair share of corners this season, as has Jackson (at the near post). But on Saturday, Makienok appeared to be muscled/pushed out of the way by the first man and the 2nd man beat a static Solly to the ball.

Last night (and I've only watched it once so apologies if I'm wrong) it appeared as though Solly didn't attack the ball and Garner just came off him a yard to get the flicked header to an outswinging corner.
  • Options

Heard a statistician on Talksport the other day saying that only 4% of corners lead to a goal. I'd like to know what percentage of our opponents corners have led to goals, it would put the size of our problem into stark reality.

A quick (!) analysis of corners in League plus both cups this season is....For: 139.....Against 252.

Now somebody else can work out how many goals we've conceded from corners.....

PS: How many of Fulham's goals count? The header obviously but do the others really count as they weren't direct tom the corner?
  • Options
    I thought 30%-35% of goals are from Set Pieces.

I manage a Saturday District team and I got all my lads in to go though corners in theory and have a discussion on a system so we all knew everyone's role.

1. Player on the near post and team mate on corner of 6 yard box to deal with a pacy in-swinging corner.

2. Player on back post and 4 players marking man to man.

3. 2 players either side of pen spot ready for 2nd phase of play or to deal with a floated out-swinging corner.

4. A player out wide to cover short corner if the need arises.

We tried to line up preparing for any eventuality but all well and good being organised and disciplined when it came to the practice it comes down to belief and desire.

I think the lack of consistency with management/coaching and players will have a effect on the basics like defending a corner body position of a lot of the players is schoolboy