Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    This quote sums it up for me-:

“I tried to find a way to be effective with the squad I have,” Riga explained.

Correct squad is not good enough he should have told RD that ages ago.

• Options
    I wonder if he knew/understood what he was walking into? By that I mean had he been closely following us this season. I know he was in charge at Metz and that was his primary focus, but I get the feeling this is all a bit buyer beware. For example if he had done his homework, although the pull of coming back here (his words) was strong, the tools at his disposal aren't.

I am sure he had every faith in his ability to turn it round based on his experience and skill and what happened last time round, but, I think he's maybe gone in a bit on emotion here
  • Options
    Cousins injury, Riga? How did it happen? How can you demonstrate that Cousins was fit and that this injury was not connected to the previous one?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I wonder if he knew/understood what he was walking into? By that I mean had he been closely following us this season. I know he was in charge at Metz and that was his primary focus, but I get the feeling this is all a bit buyer beware. For example if he had done his homework, although the pull of coming back here (his words) was strong, the tools at his disposal aren't.

I am sure he had every faith in his ability to turn it round based on his experience and skill and what happened last time round, but, I think he's maybe gone in a bit on emotion here

The balance of power shift with him being able to negotiate an 18 month contract and some unfinished business might have had something to do with it.
  • Options

Cousins injury, Riga? How did it happen? How can you demonstrate that Cousins was fit and that this injury was not connected to the previous one?

I've got some quotes from Riga about injuries and also Jason Euell which we will upload this morning.
  • Options
    How about putting a man on the post? We have defenders who cant win headers, and a keeper that stays on his line.
    Worked on it for half an hour in Monday before they left for Preston or watched a couple of videos on how to defend for dummies. I very much doubt they were dragged into training on Sunday
  • Options
    Nothing much Jose can do. The only thing he could do to improve things is to play Kashi Igor and Alou....
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This is a man with sufficient judgement that after he left us last time he accepted a job offer from Olsen. Says it all, as does this quote:

"offensively and defensively. They were the parts of the pitch that we were not able to master today.”
  • Options

How about putting a man on the post? We have defenders who cant win headers, and a keeper that stays on his line.
    Worked on it for half an hour in Monday before they left for Preston or watched a couple of videos on how to defend for dummies. I very much doubt they were dragged into training on Sunday

A man on the post would not of helped with the goal last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Shrew said:

Sorry mate you're wrong, check the highlights out here;
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10179055/preston-2-1-charlton
    And that's where Solly should have been not marking up given his lack of height.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RedChaser said:

Shrew said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10179055/preston-2-1-charlton
    Behind the goal was a better view, looking again, yep back post would of made a difference !

• Options
    Shrew said:

RedChaser said:

Shrew said:

Behind the goal was a better view, looking again, yep back post would of made a difference !

I know that's where I was, check the highlights out, the ball goes in at waist height for goodness sake just inside the post!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RedChaser said:

Shrew said:

And that's where Solly should have been not marking up given his lack of height.
    Fox gets skinned for that second goal but WHY do Motta and Solly dive in like that... Fox gets left with a 2 v 1 situation because of them.

You've also got to remember that Fox has been forced to come over to the Right-Back slot so least we know never to play him there
  • Options
    How about not playing 6 defenders in a game we really need to win? How about playing an actual midfielder - Ba, Poyet, both of whom did ok on Saturday until they were taken off - in midfield rather than Solly? If you need an attacking full back why not choose THD, who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, who is more of an attacking full back than Fox? I'm sorry but Riga is starting to give the impression that he is as tactically naive as his predecessors and his post match comments are getting every bit as puzzling.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

How about not playing 6 defenders in a game we really need to win? How about playing an actual midfielder - Ba, Poyet, both of whom did ok on Saturday until they were taken off - in midfield rather than Solly? If you need an attacking full back why not choose THD, who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, who is more of an attacking full back than Fox? I'm sorry but Riga is starting to give the impression that he is as tactically naive as his predecessors and his post match comments are getting every bit as puzzling.

Maybe because in an attacking sense we werent too bad last night... Its defensively we need to sort ourselves out...

We cant keep chasing matches
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @ForeverAddickted Yep, I couldn't see in detail Fox's actual challenge because it was at the far end but the highlights make him out to be the villain with a poorish challenge when he was left very exposed.
  • Options
    Surely Chris Solly should be the man on the post (Maybe Henderson doesnt want a player there)...

Remember that was always the job of either Luke Young or Chris Perry, neither had the height to win a header against taller players but had the jump to ensure they could clear the ball off the line
  • Options
    The defenders need to look at themselves, as do the midfield and strikers.

They're all playing shite.

You don't suddenly lose the ability to tackle, run, pass, cross and shoot.

Without the red card, we may have been able to battle for a point.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Surely Chris Solly should be the man on the post (Maybe Henderson doesnt want a player there)...

Remember that was always the job of either Luke Young or Chris Perry, neither had the height to win a header against taller players but had the jump to ensure they could clear the ball off the line

don't forget Rhoys 'off the line' Wiggins and even Lawrie 'clutch save' Wilson
  • Options

1 Riga played a formation to match up Preston. It was our lightest away defeat for some time.

2 Poyet was totally anonymous on Saturday, as was he in the other games that he's "played". I was all for bringing him back, but he obviously is not interested, so yes play Solly in the middle, as you know he will put in a shift.

3 THD has not fully recovered from tendonitis in his knee. He suffers with it in both knees.

So, I'm not at all puzzled and in fact I think Riga is doing a reasonable job, with a squad that is not fit for purpose.