Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So whats the best Competition you've won?

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Erith school circa 1979. They had the school festival during one of the last weeks of the school year in a vain attempt to make some money the school.

Various events were on, one was sponsored by Timex. The head master wound up a watch and put it in a metal box, the box was to be opened on the last day, whoever guessed the time correctly when the watch had stopped (in the secretary's office, there was a book where you filled in you name next to a time) The prize for whoever won was 2 really decent watches. This was when watches were expensive.

Anyway me and a couple of friends may or may not have broken into the school to nick dinner tickets and flog them half price to the kids, but we found the watch book and just scribbled our names randomly in loads of different time slots. Yep you guessed it, I won...........

All these years later I have no remorse for my actions and will probably burn in hell for all eternity.................*

*Junior, all the above is a pack of lies that I have just made up......ahem!

Erith circa 1979, I was in the sixth form failing at CSE retakes and buying dodgy dinner tickets.
  • Options
    When our boys were young we had a week at a small holiday camp in Devon. I entered the darts competition and got the runner-up prize. There was a prize giving event on the Friday night for all the various competitions and I proudly went up on stage to collect my trophy.

My sons were very proud of their dad and gave the loudest cheers. Their pride subsided somewhat when they asked how many entered and I replied two!

I've still got the trophy!!
  • Options
    Other than a couple of £10 wins on the lottery I've won nothing! Professionally, I am 2 x Sales Rep of the year for my company, currently the reigning, defending holder of this title.
  • Options

Other than a couple of £10 wins on the lottery I've won nothing! Professionally, I am 2 x Sales Rep of the year for my company, currently the reigning, defending holder of this title.

I'm not buying that story

• Options
    A company I worked for randomly decided to give out awards one year. Anyway, in the previous year I had traveled the length and breath of the country doing some work well outside of my job spec. Other colleagues worked long hours and had been sent abroad at very little notice to sort out problems. I didn't expect to get it myself, but then they gave it to some guy in the New York office who'd been with the company 5 minutes and had done nothing of note, although I did hear his boss giving him a severe bollocking! What a smack in the chops for everyone who'd worked so hard for at least the previous 12 months. Whoever thought up the awards idea clearly had not thought it through - it destroyed what little morale there was in the team I was in. Rather than thinking "If I work harder I could win it next year", we all thought "that was a load of shit! Now, where's that jobs website?!".
  • Options
    My Dad won me and him tickets to the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley. I'd be hard pressed to win anything better than that.
  • Options
    The Princes Trust Young Achiever of the Year Award ( Football exchanges between young people in Marseilles and East London )
  • Options
    holyjo said:

The Princes Trust Young Achiever of the Year Award ( Football exchanges between young people in Marseilles and East London )

No, you've got me...

Why would you exchange footballs?
  • Options

holyjo said:

No, you've got me...

Mine's got a puncture, so I'd swap...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Orpington Amatuer Boxing Club personality of the year 1968 presented to me at The Daylight Inn by Terry Spinks. The award was specially created for me by our sponsor Norma Travel of Petts Wood because I had 10 straight defeats and there was no chance of me winning anything for boxing. I retired with that record intact.

Where was that club and when did it shut? Know they've got Brunos place at the priory and keddles do some boxing but surprised their isn't a proper ABA there now given the size of sunny Orpington.
  • Options
    I won a men's Gray Nicolls cricket bat at a Silver Jubilee street party raffle in Eltham.
    I was 7 and it was (and still is) the only thing I ever won.
    When I got home my older brother nicked it off me.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

holyjo said:

No, you've got me...

Because enquiring minds would like to know....

Do you find it makes you walk funny?
  • Options
    I once won Midnight Run on video. It was a right touch.
  • Options
    I won a seat on a sofa the other week
  • Options
    I've never won fuck all, a nearly man, my finest moment was coming 2nd in a bench pressing comp at my gym.
  • Options

masicat said:

Orpington Amatuer Boxing Club personality of the year 1968 presented to me at The Daylight Inn by Terry Spinks. The award was specially created for me by our sponsor Norma Travel of Petts Wood because I had 10 straight defeats and there was no chance of me winning anything for boxing. I retired with that record intact.

Where was that club and when did it shut? Know they've got Brunos place at the priory and keddles do some boxing but surprised their isn't a proper ABA there now given the size of sunny Orpington.

Club was at The Rosecroft in St Mary Cray. Was quite a big club at one time. I think it closed around 1990 but I'm not totally sure. Used to be regular boxing at The Civic Hall in Orpington.
  • Options

masicat said:

Yeah, but you done Ade Edmondson.
    With a right hander.....no other way. Amazing how you mention this so often, I can't remember anything about you.
  • Options
    Bexleyheath tennis club singles champion 2015.
  • Options
    I won a signed framed Shirt from the soccer sixes of which Charlton won about 15 years ago. It has Curbishley , Gritt etc.. signed on the front. I think I won it from The News of The world competition.
    It's wrapped up in bubble rap in my loft so if the museum wants it or it can be auctioned for the Upbeats then I can part with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My Dad won me and him tickets to the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley. I'd be hard pressed to win anything better than that.

How about Tickets to the FA Cup final at the new Wembley with Charlton playing? After Roland's sold, of course.
  • Options

I won a signed framed Shirt from the soccer sixes of which Charlton won about 15 years ago. It has Curbishley , Gritt etc.. signed on the front. I think I won it from The News of The world competition.
    It's wrapped up in bubble rap in my loft so if the museum wants it or it can be auctioned for the Upbeats then I can part with it.

I remember watching that on the box. Funny how after Charlton won the first time they held it, they decided not to hold it again.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

holyjo said:

No, you've got me...

Because enquiring minds would like to know....

Do you find it makes you walk funny?
    Football, football! Silly boy.

I have got a funny walk as it happens...
  • Options

I've never won fuck all, a nearly man, my finest moment was coming 2nd in a bench pressing comp at my gym.

Chaz must be stronger than he looks H ?!?
  • Options
    I won at getting my Homework completed before my brother.

He was really into footy, I was/am a bit more intelligent than him.

I got to go to Charlton with the stepdad and fell in love with the bloody club... He had to go to Rugby with our uncle, is now a tank and loves ruggers and doesn't worry about Charlton anymore.

I think I lost really.
  • Options
    IA said:

I won 2nd prize in a beauty contest and got £10.

Whenever we play Monopoly and my wife gets this, my stock answer is always "whoever came 3rd must have been a minger"

She didn't laugh the first time but I've persisted for years. The closest I get is a roll of the eyes.
  • Options
    Lower North School for Boys (Ashford, Kent) 'Cake Cup Final' 80/81 (I think?). Inter-Class football tournament. Was up against a team a year lower than us so they had a two goal handicap to start. They also had a slim, quick, centre forward in their team called Neil Ruddock!! - the very same. What did we win? Yep, a dirty great cream cake - bizarre!!
  • Options

IA said:

I won 2nd prize in a beauty contest and got £10.

Whenever we play Monopoly and my wife gets this, my stock answer is always "whoever came 3rd must have been a minger"

She didn't laugh the first time but I've persisted for years. The closest I get is a roll of the eyes.
    I have that problem with girls too....
  • Options

Chaz must be stronger than he looks H ?!?
    He's lazier than he looks!
  • Options
    masicat said:

masicat said:

Club was at The Rosecroft in St Mary Cray. Was quite a big club at one time. I think it closed around 1990 but I'm not totally sure. Used to be regular boxing at The Civic Hall in Orpington.
    Nice one Masicat