Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Many Penalties Have We Scored This Season?

Im certainly not advocating that the players start cheating and diving but I'm just trying to remember the last time we actually scored a penalty, and how many we've had this season?
I can't remember any, I don't know if there's a graph, or if some clever bod (cue Stig) has a graph with how many we've had in the last 10 years, we seem to be well below our quota?

I'd be interested to know what the average was this season in this Championship and where we were in that table, it can't just be refs being biased against us can it, or is it more to do with our style of attacking play ( we barely get out of our half).

Comments

• Options
    We haven't had a penalty this season, as you say mainly due to our style of play and not getting the ball anywhere near the opponents box.

I would say that Buyens scored our last penalty, not sure who against, maybe Leeds at home last season?.
  • Options
    Think we have had 1 penalty this season at Peterborough away in the cup. Can't recall any others.
  • Options
    Nope didnt even get a penalty at either Dagenham or Peterborough.

@iaitch is correct in saying that our last penalty was the one Yoni Buyens tucked away against Leeds
  • Options
    On the subject of penalties I noticed that Bristol City got yet another one against Brighton on Tuesday night, their player duly stepped up and hit the bar... They must have a shocking ratio (i.e. even Tomlin's was so poor against us it should have been saved)
  • Options
    Yoni Buyens, crickey i'd forgotten all about him , even had my picture taken with him!
  • Options
    I'm certain Ahearne-Grant got one in the cup early on, I think it was Peterborough.
  • Options

Yoni Buyens, crickey i'd forgotten all about him , even had my picture taken with him!

I hadn't, we'd be a better team with him in it
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I think you're right large, we certainly would, Yoni got quite a lot of stick from Charlton fans, who thought all he did was take a good penalty! ( I wouldn't mind him scoring the amount of penalties he did, it was last season? must have been 8-10?

Edit - according to our good friends at Wikipedia, he scored 8 last season, he has 3 goals for Genk in only 10 games this season , not sure if he's injured, or out of favour, not sure i'd have him back though as he's only 5 foot 11 & a half tall.
  • Options

Although many felt he was rubbish and that he should have been no where near the squad last season.

You only notice how important a player is once he's gone

If our transfers in the Summer had been: Makienok / Bulot / Buyens / Bauer plus a few fringe players we'd be no where near this mess
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Buyens always seem to keep the ball moving rather than trying to make a killer pass.
  • Options
    foxjam said:

I'm certain Ahearne-Grant got one in the cup early on, I think it was Peterborough.

Yup Posh away was our second goal
  • Options

So we've not missed one all season.

chalk that up as another positive change from the regime!

Hall of fame here they come!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Had a quick look at this website (for the spanners reading, its much more fun than train timetables) Leicester are top in the Prem with 10 , and have also saved the most (2) can't believe Liverpool are bottom, haven't yet found stats on the Championship.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

Edit - Yep here we go for the Championship penalties this season.

https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/ForPenalty?comp_id=524

If you change the filter on the right to last season we were 4th.
  • Options
    Can we change the Question to... How many times have we got into the Opposition Penalty Area this season?
  • Options
    Thats a good site for all the stats. :smiley:

How depressing all the stats are though :-1:

And also shows why every club we play puts a couple of people on JBG to get him out of the game. Because even by doing this he is involved with 30% of our goals. Not sure where we we would be without him. Oh wait a minute, still bottom :-(
  • Options

Although many felt he was rubbish and that he should have been no where near the squad last season.

If our transfers in the Summer had been: Makienok / Bulot / Buyens / Bauer plus a few fringe players we'd be no where near this mess
    Not to remove the rose tinted spectacles but...didn't he play at the heart of the team that went 14 games without a win and got Peeters the sack?

He is definitely better than what we've got now, when he tried at least, but Buyens wouldn't save this team either.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Not to remove the rose tinted spectacles but...didn't he play at the heart of the team that went 14 games without a win and got Peeters the sack?

He is definitely better than what we've got now, when he tried at least, but Buyens wouldn't save this team either.
    Think he missed quite a lot of our bad run. We had a MUCH higher win rate with him in than when he was injured or suspended
  • Options
    Leuth said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Think he missed quite a lot of our bad run. We had a MUCH higher win rate with him in than when he was injured or suspended
    That was Yoni's biggest problem... He did collect Cards for Charlton
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Liked him as a player, we miss him! Remember some fans moaning about him last season but they wish we had him now!!! Also the defence Ben Haim and Andre Bikey much better than this seasons defenders apart a combo of Tex and Bauer that would be a good pairing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Leuth said:

JiMMy 85 said:

He made 40 appearances that season. The club played a total of 49 senior games. I can't remember which ones he missed, but I don't believe it happened to be 9 consecutive games in the middle of our worst run. EDIT: Just checked, between Millwall (22/11/14) and Norwich (10/02/15) we played 15 games without winning. Buyens played in 11 of them.

Boy do we miss him!

• Options

Leuth said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That was Yoni's biggest problem... He did collect Cards for Charlton
    Not a bad trait if it's not needless, I wouldn't mind a player who knows when it's time to get stuck in and take the resulting card. I'm not sure if that's really something we have to our game at the moment; apart from the new arrival, Tex. He seems to know how to throw his way about.

Although I've seen Bergdich make some decent tackles, I don't think we really have anyone that's prepared to go for a 50/50 just to break up play. In a midfield of Bergdich/Harriott, Jacko, Cousins, Gudmundsson we've got no one to really break up play - perhaps with the exception of Jacko who gives it a good go but relies more on positioning than speed now.

I think Kashi was most likely Buyen's replacement, and of course he's been out since about 4 games in to the season - if that. Similarly, I thought Poyet had a good tackle on him and could break up play - making him ideal for the Buyens role as a CDM in front of the back four - but since he's been back I can't say I've noticed him on the pitch.