Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LONDONIST article by Michael Holland - England's First Black Footballer: Why's He Been Forgotten?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks everybody Ben was born in Nigeria, and I was born in Deptford. Ben moved to Deptford where he went to Lucas Vale Primary School, and I went to Tidemill Primary School, and we both played for Charlton's youth team in 1971/72..... to be contd
  • Options
    I've been to Deptford. We could be brothers.
  • Options
    African nations betrayed? They've been quite happy supporting Blatter and accepting his back handers all these years. Or is that how they've been betrayed, they've not had the chance to accept the same level of bribes this time?
  • Options
    Roy said:

Thanks everybody Ben was born in Nigeria, and I was born in Deptford. Ben moved to Deptford where he went to Lucas Vale Primary School, and I went to Tidemill Primary School, and we both played for Charlton's youth team in 1971/72..... to be contd

real Charlton went to Sherrington.
  • Options

Roy said:

real Charlton went to Sherrington.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Roy said:

Redrobo said:

He should be invited to our next kick racism out of sport day and introduced.

Redrobo at Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY in the 2014/15 season, Ben Odeje was introduced to the crowd at the Valley, and this film was shown at half-time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62oNRwTcdM&safe=active&app=desktop I'll always remember that historic day, as I had my picture taken with Ben on the pitch after the film was shown, and his role as an Ambassador for Charlton Athletic Community Trust was confirmed. Clive Efford the Shadow Sports Minister at the time, and Councillors from the Royal Borough of Greenwich all gave their support for this event.

Following Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY, Ben Odeje led early criticisms against Sepp Blatter in the build up to the Women's World Cup, which have since contributed to his downfall https://www.facebook.com/100008501430158/videos/1431842620442439/

Last night I sent the following text to Dr Michael Seeraj of Charlton Athletic Community Trust.... Hi Michael, are you still involved with CACT? If so you should be aware that Michael Holland has written a 'State of the Art' piece for the Londonist about Ben Odeje, who became England's 1st black footballer at any level in 1971, and a CACT Ambassador to the world in 2014. Today Fifa appointed a new President from Europe Gianni Infantino, and I posted about Ben Odeje on my facebook page, and on the Charlton Life Forum too. England gave the game of football to the world, and Fifa is currently a toxic organisation, in a state of financial and moral crisis. A high profile role for Ben Odeje at Fifa wouldn't be a bad idea, and it would help the African Nations who feel totally betrayed by the Old Boys of Europe. Best regards Roy
    Ha, remember that now. A good story is always worth repeating though. And this one is something we should be really proud of.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I think you are a bit too obsessed about race Roy...

I loved Roy race but blackie gray was well underatted
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Roy said:

This all has the feel of a creepy crush that eventually ends in the kidnapping of Ben Odeje.
  • Options
    Really weird.
  • Options
    Roy said:

Home birth? Grew up in Deptford and don't remember many hospitals round there... Unless you mean New Cross
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just sent an email to Graham Tutt the former Charlton goalkeeper, who has been in touch via facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1092188002491&set=a.1092187642482.11385.1760251234&type=3&theater

After the terrible injury Graham sustained playing for Charlton against Sunderland he still managed to play professionally in South Africa, and the USA from where he now operates.
  • Options
    I just sent my mate an email. Wasn't going to tell everyone, but ..........