Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When did RD say "he wasn't bothered whether Charlton won or not"

Comments

• Options
    It's surely very unlikely that RD or KM would have come up with that statement officially or in public. But actions speak louder than words........
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

I'm sure he said it in his first filmed interview after taking over. I don't know how to find it though.

It was not in anything the club released publicly.
    Must be a false memory then. I've always thought I heard him say it -- and been surprised that I wasn't particularly alarmed by it at the time.
  • Options

seth plum said:

So you have the Jimmy Stone thing, the Karel Fraeye thing, and the Katrien thing where she implied that what we're about is growing players for the Premier League.

Oh, and we also have actual results.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but I believe that the combination of those things adds up to Roland not caring about results.

He said he wants to make us 'nice', not successful.

This - If it looks like a turd and it smells like a turd, guess what it generally is?

Dinner, if I've been cooking it; or maybe a traditional Greek sweet offered to officials from the ECB?

No, I give up...
  • Options
    Ties in with what he said in his recent interview about wanting us to be one of the nicest clubs in London, where friends could go and meet and have a good time and watch young players. Nothing about ambitions.
  • Options

I'm sure he said it in his first filmed interview after taking over. I don't know how to find it though.

My recollection is the same. Sure I remember him saying it on film. I thought he was making the point that he would be patient but thought he said he wasn't like other owners because he didn't care whether we won, lost or drew. It looks a lot worse with hindsight because it's apparent he literally doesn't care and he is actually a c***.
  • Options
    Didn't KM say in her Dublin interview something along the lines of "it doesn't matter what league we are in, it doesn't even matter if we win, or not"?
  • Options

Didn't KM say in her Dublin interview something along the lines of "it doesn't matter what league we are in, it doesn't even matter if we win, or not"?

I don't recall her saying that in the interview and assume if she did say something that directly stupid then the press would be all over it quoting it specifically X1000
  • Options
    Look you disbelievers a number of us can remember RD saying it very early on but there is no way we can prove it, so why not take our words for it - OK?
  • Options

Look you disbelievers a number of us can remember RD saying it very early on but there is no way we can prove it, so why not take our words for it - OK?

I think people believe it they just want the direct source of evidence so it can be used against the regime in this almost giant case file build up to get rid of RD.
  • Options
    @Covered End

I may be wrong, but I think that the comments were in the '1905' Fulham Preview Show from 23 October 2014 https://youtube.com/watch?v=jGe1OTJZe28; it's a c43 minutes.... (in the second part of a three part interview).

"I'm not so demanding... I'm happy that we play good football.... If the results are not there OK, that's a pity.... We don't demand success.... [Bob Peeters] is aware he has a bunch of very good young players, and that's also important... He will try to do his best with whatever players he gets, huh, huh, eh... And I think, also, young players are quite good..."

Also, for those of you wishing to experience a feeling of deja vu, you can hear him discuss the problem of having too many players in the third part, on the hour. It's a thrill, it really is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@Covered End

I may be wrong, but I think that the comments were in the '1905' Fulham Preview Show from 23 October 2014 https://youtube.com/watch?v=jGe1OTJZe28; it's a c43 minutes.... (in the second part of a three part interview).

"I'm not so demanding... I'm happy that we play good football.... If the results are not there OK, that's a pity.... We don't demand success.... [Bob Peeters] is aware he has a bunch of very good young players, and that's also important... He will try to do his best with whatever players he gets, huh, huh, eh... And I think, also, young players are quite good..."

Also, for those of you wishing to experience a feeling of deja vu, you can hear him discuss the problem of having too many players in the third part, on the hour. It's a thrill, it really is.

That link's not working. Do you have another please ?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Don't worry mate, I've found it and listened. Thanks very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGe1OTJZe28
  • Options
    Why does it matter?
  • Options

Why does it matter?

See your inbox.
  • Options

That's what people who say they've seen aliens/ghosts/believe in God say.

If you want to convince the skeptics, you need to present the evidence.

• Options

I'm also sure that very soon after he took over he mentioned not being like other owners, in that winning wasn't what he cared about.

I'm aware of Stone mentioning it on Twitter, but I'm also fairly confident there is a Roland original soundbite too.
  • Options
    I can't recall any filmed evidence - only what Jimmy Stone said.
  • Options
    Evidence or not seems to be true, why else appoint Peeters,Fraye and Riga none have a Scooby do.Luzon did have a little bit about him but was found out in the end
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Why does it matter?

This.

Evidence or not, it doesn't change the fact that these people are in the wrong business. (And owning five or six clubs across the European continent doesn't necessarily mean they know anything about how to properly run a football club.)

Unless you're writing a piece for a newspaper, putting it into print or something similar (which probably is what the OP is doing I suppose?), I don't see the point of 'studying' what they have said or haven't said, whether Jimmy Stone exaggerated their remarks, etc. It's not worth your time.
  • Options

seth plum said:

So you have the Jimmy Stone thing, the Karel Fraeye thing, and the Katrien thing where she implied that what we're about is growing players for the Premier League.

Oh, and we also have actual results.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but I believe that the combination of those things adds up to Roland not caring about results.

He said he wants to make us 'nice', not successful.

This - If it looks like a turd and it smells like a turd, guess what it generally is?

A duck?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have never met Jimmy Stone and wouldn't know him if I fell over him in the street. But if it came to being his word against anyone's from the regime, I know who I'd believe.

That said, if I was to tell anyone that that's what Two Shats said, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew I could back it up.
  • Options

Fraeye said it for him in a post match, can't remember the exact game, but the comment was along the lines of "lets not make Charlton into a team who has to go clubs and win"

Yes, I recall that as well.

Here it is.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=115123&headline=Feeble excuses from Karel Fraeye after Charlton Athletic woes deepen at Burnley&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015
    "Let’s not make Charlton now into a team who are going everywhere and must win and must be better than the home side,” he said. Expectancy should be kept in check.
    That is the actual quote that Louis reported and you can interpret and examine these words I suppose in any way one thinks to suit one's own prejudices/opinions.
    No doubt I will be accused as biased towards KF but I took this quote at the time to be an honest one saying that Charlton should not be expected to win every match and one should not expect them to, which is obvious really and said to a reporter after a defeat in his second language. What RD said in the initial filmed interviews does give further proof however that winning is not as important as other 'stuff'........
  • Options

Fraeye said it for him in a post match, can't remember the exact game, but the comment was along the lines of "lets not make Charlton into a team who has to go clubs and win"

Here it is.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=115123&headline=Feeble excuses from Karel Fraeye after Charlton Athletic woes deepen at Burnley&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015
    "Let’s not make Charlton now into a team who are going everywhere and must win and must be better than the home side,” he said. Expectancy should be kept in check.
    That is the actual quote that Louis reported and you can interpret and examine these words I suppose in any way one thinks to suit one's own prejudices/opinions.
    No doubt I will be accused as biased towards KF but I took this quote at the time to be an honest one saying that Charlton should not be expected to win every match and one should not expect them to, which is obvious really and said to a reporter after a defeat in his second language. What RD said in the initial filmed interviews does give further proof however that winning is not as important as other 'stuff'........
    Nobody could accuse you of bias to Carol, I'm sure of that :grey_question:
  • Options

Here it is.

Congratulations on the new job Karel... :-)
  • Options

Why does it matter?

This.

Evidence or not, it doesn't change the fact that these people are in the wrong business. (And owning five or six clubs across the European continent doesn't necessarily mean they know anything about how to properly run a football club.)

Unless you're writing a piece for a newspaper, putting it into print or something similar (which probably is what the OP is doing I suppose?), I don't see the point of 'studying' what they have said or haven't said, whether Jimmy Stone exaggerated their remarks, etc. It's not worth your time.
    I have my reasons :smile:
  • Options

Why does it matter?

This.

I have my reasons :smile:
    Just a thought, @skywalker might be able to tell you if he'd made such comments in the Belgian media.
  • Options
    I have a faint recollection of him saying something similar at least in a very early BBC interview if that is any help.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Here it is.

Even if you accept the Fraeye sentiment I would say that each season, if you don't intend to go for promotion, then you'll almost inevitably battle relegation, as this season is proving.
    Complacency is tantamount to surrender in football.
    I agree with you entirely Seth but I honestly do not think that this was what KF was saying or he was being complacent. Off the cuff remarks from a post match coach/manager is not to be taken too literally in my opinion.
    Elsewhere, typical 'funny' replies that I am Karel from the usual suspects....... that I cannot be arsed to respond too.