Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keyboard warriors slag off protests

13»

Comments

• Options
    What I couldn't understand at Saturday's protest was the stream of people coming the other way out of the west stand and not willing to stand and protest. Some were wearing black and white scarves and one bloke in charlton shirt and hat told me when he was asked "why are you leaving" that he was happy with things and then said Very happy .......
    Funny old world

• Options

What I couldn't understand at Saturday's protest was the stream of people coming the other way out of the west stand and not willing to stand and protest. Some were wearing black and white scarves and one bloke in charlton shirt and hat told me when he was asked "why are you leaving" that he was happy with things and then said Very happy .......
    Funny old world

Was it RM???
  • Options

Got to meet Davo55 and 3blokes and bumped into Arsenetatters who promptly got involved.

Should this not be in the Charlton Life "Dogging" thread. ;-)
    RCT....i think you ve started something

• Options
    i clapped and booed at the same time.

i think i support Reading now.
  • Options

Whatever you do, make sure you don't find yourself flouncing off to any other Charlton forums - one in particular (which shall remain nameless) is like some kind of strange twilight zone......Charlton's own care in the community scheme for sociopaths who are constantly advocating violence ....not against the regime, so much, but more against the folk on here and elsewhere who had the temerity to actually organise something and get it up and running without asking for their spittle flecked opinions, the poor snowflakes.

You can go over there any time and find them criticising CAST and telling all and sundry (well, the five people on the forum, anyway) how things should be done via kicking off and taking direct action. Funnily enough, they never appear to actually lead by example - but they are very good at suggesting how others should be arrested on their behalf. Funnily enough, quite a few of them were the primary cheerleaders for Meire et al in the past, but don't mention that or one of them may well spontaneously combust.....

I don't go on any other forums, but a mate of mine tells me that there is another forum where they are always slagging this site off....and it's not a Palace or Millwall forum either.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

i clapped and booed at the same time.

i think i support Reading now.

When Yann's first went in, fella in the North Lower got up to applaud. Then he seemed to remember he was supposed to be angry, so he started flicking V-signs in the direction of the Director's Box. Clearly confused, he then turned to look up at North Upper to see what fans were doing there. Got so conflicted, by the end he was tapping his thigh with one hand in applause whilst simultaneously giving the DB the finger with the other, like a seal with an ASBO.

Not that anyone cares I'm sure, but FWIW I clapped the first as it was Yann and I clapped the 2nd because it was Yann and a quality finish. Though I have form in that regard. If they're good goals, I tend to clap. Berger and RVP spring to mind. Never stand up to do it, though.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54679/applauding-opposition-goals-play/p1

• Options
    lolwray said:

Got to meet Davo55 and 3blokes and bumped into Arsenetatters who promptly got involved.

Should this not be in the Charlton Life "Dogging" thread. ;-)
    RCT....i think you ve started something

Rodders invented dogging? Can't say I'm surprised!
  • Options

Funny old world

I think you'll find there are just as many people leaving the North and East stands who didn't make it to the car park as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe some people just want to watch a game of football every other week.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Funny old world

I think you'll find there are just as many people leaving the North and East stands who didn't make it to the car park as well.
    I went to the Bull in Woolwich after giving out the free programmes to watch the rugby. It was weird hearing a muffled Red red robin as I went up Ransom Walk.
    But that's boycotting for you.
  • Options
    Had I been there, I would have clapped both Yann's goals - he cares about Charlton, unlike the spineless bottle jobs in the shirts at the moment.
  • Options
    Unable to protest as on the Valley Express from Herne Bay/Whitstable.
    Told Airman Brown fully behind the protest and wished them good luck.
    Coach only waits 20 mins after full-time.
    This may explain why the numbers are not so great.
  • Options

This thing about berating other people for not protesting is only ever going to lead them never to protest. I have attended all but one protest and the reason people like me won't protest is because of flares and bad language (both of which were present on Saturday). They will not want to be associated with the c--t word especially if they have their kids there. It debases the whole exercise and unfortunately this is one of the reasons why the protest is not as well attended as it could be. I helped hold up a banner a female fan had made and because she wasn't the tallest I think it was addictedoldgit that helped hold the banner up with me for the 20 minutes or so that she was there. It then seemed her partner/friend was not feeling too good and she had to go. I felt the action of this lady; making the banner etc said more to me about the strength of feeling than any bad language filled chant. If there were more banners perhaps and less xenophobic/misogynistic/ obscenities then there would be little excuse for people not to join. I think its all ok if you occupy the North stand/lads together and have a bit of a laugh with it all and in a way that is what has kept a lot of people there but it can really really put people/fans/black scarf wearers right off from joining the protest. I will still go regardless of numbers and shout and sing but without sounding as if I am looking down at anyone I wont get into the obscenities.

I think the 5pm protests are losing their impact partly for the reasons cited above. I left the Reading one purely because it was dominated by obscenities which is playing into the club's PR hands as such 'protests' can be dismissed and will not be reported on favourably. The first protest v Forest was perhaps the most successful in media terms and the thread asking 'what is your favourite protest to date' has bought the response I believe that it was the Belgian trip and banner at St Trinians. This must be the way to go with further protests taking place in Belgium and even at the HQ of Airfix or whatever Roland calls his Company. He won't like it if the scale of his 'problem' is brought to his place of work. I would be willing to join a trip to the Company HQ but it would have to be a work-day to be effective (I can do it as retired but realise it might be difficult for others).
  • Options
    Stig said:

I fully understand the benefits of campaigning in Beligium and think that Saturday's trip to St Truiden was fantastic, but I don't think that sort of activity should be pursued to the exclusion of protests at The Valley. As good as the Belgium protest was, in isolation it could be dismissed as a small minority (shall we say 2%?) of supporters being unhappy. With the advance guard taking the battle to them, whilst a good number still protested at Charlton, there is no hiding behind the fact the vast majority of Charlton fans are united in wanting this crazy experiment to finish.

I agree with you that there is a danger of the post match demos fizzling out. Ultimately though, that is in the hands of the fans. It was never going to be a short term solution. We have to recognise that it will be a slog, but keep on going regardless. It's interesting what you say about obsceneties, because I feel that that is really at the crunch point for a lot of supporters. On the one hand there are those that want to keep it clean, are concerned about holding 'the moral high ground' and feel that using bad language and the like will minimise our chances of getting decent press coverage. On the other hand there are those who want to up the ante, to make the protests more agressive and threatening so that Meire and co really do feel the anger. Personally I have a lot of sympathy with both positions. I think the trick is for us to find a way of 1. keeping the demonstrations fresh, 2. upping the level of passion whilst 3. not alienating those who want to keep things to a strict moral code. I don't personally have any suggestions at this point, but I have faith that if we keep talking it through and bearing those three aims in mind we can collectively come up with some ways to do this.

Stig, I agree with you (i.e. that the post-match protests should continue - in tandem with other forms of protest) its just that like Bromley John I couldn't get enthusiastic about chanting the RD is a C*** chants - will happily join the other ones directed at Liar (Nightmeire) etc. Like you I don't have the answer other than to keep on fighting in which ever way feels comfortable until we (together) achieve the aim of ridding the club of these poisonous and odious owners and directors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

I fully understand the benefits of campaigning in Beligium and think that Saturday's trip to St Truiden was fantastic, but I don't think that sort of activity should be pursued to the exclusion of protests at The Valley. As good as the Belgium protest was, in isolation it could be dismissed as a small minority (shall we say 2%?) of supporters being unhappy. With the advance guard taking the battle to them, whilst a good number still protested at Charlton, there is no hiding behind the fact the vast majority of Charlton fans are united in wanting this crazy experiment to finish.

I agree with you that there is a danger of the post match demos fizzling out. Ultimately though, that is in the hands of the fans. It was never going to be a short term solution. We have to recognise that it will be a slog, but keep on going regardless. It's interesting what you say about obsceneties, because I feel that that is really at the crunch point for a lot of supporters. On the one hand there are those that want to keep it clean, are concerned about holding 'the moral high ground' and feel that using bad language and the like will minimise our chances of getting decent press coverage. On the other hand there are those who want to up the ante, to make the protests more agressive and threatening so that Meire and co really do feel the anger. Personally I have a lot of sympathy with both positions. I think the trick is for us to find a way of 1. keeping the demonstrations fresh, 2. upping the level of passion whilst 3. not alienating those who want to keep things to a strict moral code. I don't personally have any suggestions at this point, but I have faith that if we keep talking it through and bearing those three aims in mind we can collectively come up with some ways to do this.

Stig, I agree with you (i.e. that the post-match protests should continue - in tandem with other forms of protest) its just that like Bromley John I couldn't get enthusiastic about chanting the RD is a C*** chants - will happily join the other ones directed at Liar (Nightmeire) etc. Like you I don't have the answer other than to keep on fighting in which ever way feels comfortable until we (together) achieve the aim of ridding the club of these poisonous and odious owners and directors.
    same here about to much use of the c word at the last demo.
    Also, the bloke who stood in front of the 4x4 and started shouting 'Safety Steward ' just looked a twat.
  • Options
    I was in Nice on a shag weekend following the match thread and even I clapped Yann's goal mid stroke for the below reason.

IRONY

[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]

the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning:
    the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    Literature.

a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Socratic irony.
    dramatic irony.
    an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
    the incongruity of this.
    an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.

Anyway. To all of you that protest. Respect and thanks.

• Options
    Hey Baldybonce. Are you a time traveller?
  • Options
    scidbox said:

Hey Baldybonce. Are you a time traveller?

i wish.
  • Options
    The first 5pm protest I was able to go to was Blackburn. Before the game there was a thread created after the forest protest that developed new chants, many of which were used and we sang. Very little swearing and a broad range of chants that everyone got behind.

I don't mind swearing, I swear (not in front of the boy) and can use alternate words in the chants to get my lad singing almost the same S most chants but understanding the difference between words you use sometimes and word you use every day. I'm ok with that

A lot of people aren't.

I would prefer us to come up again with a wider range of chants, with less swearing in them, and that more people knew.

Or were given the words.

I agree that if more people knew more songs, the game and the protests would feel better.

I'm not a member of 20k.