Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford

Player gets injured in warm up. 18 year old plays his first minutes in pro football and scores twice so retains his place. Then scores twice in the first half an hour against Arsenal.

I think they call it "fate". LVG would probably call it a masterstroke.

Comments

• Options
    Incredible for him, must be on cloud 9.
  • Options
    him, harry kane, these guys who under normal circumstances would never have got a chance.
  • Options
    I think sometimes there's so much analysis of opposition etc that when a youth product comes along no one can handle the unexpected.

Just for United there's been Macheda, Januzaj and James Wilson who did similar (albeit not 4 in their first two games!).
  • Options
    And now an assist too.

Whisper it quietly but he's only £4.5m on Fantasy Football. Chamakh is £4.7m by comparison!
  • Options
    What a day this is turning out to be for Leicester!!
  • Options
    All that dough on Martial & Depay, and they had one in their youth team. Some football clubs can't see the wood from the trees.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

All that dough on Martial & Depay, and they had one in their youth team. Some football clubs can't see the wood from the trees.

Others can see it but choose to cash in to "balance the books".....

...and consign said youngsters to the Reserves or loan them out season after season.

Sounds familiar.

• Options
    Irashford

Apparently on 500 quid a week. Now that's value.
  • Options

Irashford

Apparently on 500 quid a week. Now that's value.

Not for much longer I imagine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And sadly is hit by the United lurgy - is injured and substituted.

• Options
    No premiership scores please :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Rejected by Man City for being too small.
  • Options

And now an assist too.

Whisper it quietly but he's only £4.5m on Fantasy Football. Chamakh is £4.7m by comparison!

But Chamakh plays for Palace, you wouldn't pick a Palace player for your fantasy team... would you?
  • Options
    Time of course will tell about Rashford .. every professional manager and 'tactical guru' in the country will be poring over the videos and working out how to stop him .. for most premier strikers, especially young newcomers, it's all a game of patience and fighting off frustration .. four goals, however well taken have not made Rashford a superstar overnight, as good, as promising as he looks ..
    Also, I am more and more impressed with Jesse Lingard every time I see him, even disregarding the goal he scored against us last season whilst on loan at Derby
  • Options
    It might be circumstances that has forced the issue but, to be fair to LVG, he has never been afraid to sign or throw kids in. In fact, these 18 players under 23 have all played for United during his time as manager:

Shaw (20)
    Rashford (18)
    Varela (22)
    McNair (20)
    Borthwick-Jackson (19)
    Janusaj (21)
    Lingard (23)
    Pereira (20)
    Weir (20)
    Depay (22)
    Martial (20)
    Fosu-Mensah (18)
    Wilson (20)
    Blackett (21)
    Powell (21)
    Love (21)
    Poole (17)
    Riley (19)

Of these, 11 are academy players who have been given their debut by LVG.

Probably half of these academy players won't "make it" at United. But they are, at least, being given a chance to do so. And the other half who do become regular squad players will save United a shed load of money.