Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    I had read about it, imho the best English striker to have lived
  • Options
    One of the great goal poachers I've ever seen
  • Options
    The greatest English striker ever IMO
    I remember his old Spurs manager, the legendary Bill Nicholson, eulogising Jimmy's goalscoring and saying that he never went for the spectacular, never looked to curl into the top corner, though he surely could, or score the goal - he just simply passed it to the back stanchion. Goal. Job Done
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Although I don't remember it, my dad tells me I saw Greaves play when I was a nipper. This makes me happy.
    (He was playing for Barnet in the seventies. Apparently, he was almost certainly pissed off his face, yet was still the best player on the pitch by some distance.)
  • Options
    Jimmy Greaves was an astounding goal scorer, and one of my heroes when I was a kid, irrespective of who he played for. I believe he scored on every debut for every club ? As someone said above, he always knew where the net was, and that's where he put the ball more often than not.
    Sad to hear his plight now.
  • Options
    Sad to hear this. A great player.
  • Options
    So sad. Wish him well. My dad used to take me to Tottenham when I was a kid. Will always remember this goal.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7QIPJD5ac
  • Options
    Just watched a video of some of his goals. What a player he was. Felt pretty sad watching him there at his physical peak, being outstanding at his sport, and thinking now how the ravage of time ( and probably the demon drink) have taken their toll on him. It gets us all in the end, I guess.
    But what a great footballer, not mentioned these days as much as he should be IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My dad was from Whetstone, North London & a massive Spurs fan.

He took me to some of their games when I was probably aged 5-7 at a guess.

I remember Greaves, Gilzean, in fact I could still name the team.

He married my mum from Blackheath and moved to South London, so as a young kid I supported both Spurs & Charlton & went to both. The travel was too much, so he started taking me to Charlton every game, from 1973. I was addicted and have had a S/T ever since and always will.

Every start of the season just like Golfie saying Charlton will be relegated, Dad said Spurs would win the league. He was spoilt with their double winning team.

Anyway, he died nearly 8 years ago and they never did. If Leicester don't win it this season, I'd like Spurs to do it for my old dad.

Shhhh, dont mention the T word ;) fingers crossed eh!
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Just watched a video of some of his goals. What a player he was. Felt pretty sad watching him there at his physical peak, being outstanding at his sport, and thinking now how the ravage of time ( and probably the demon drink) have taken their toll on him. It gets us all in the end, I guess.
    But what a great footballer, not mentioned these days as much as he should be IMO.

Greaves has been teetotal for 37 years, so more than likely just pure old age has caught up with him rather than the booze.
  • Options
    A great player had the pleasure of seeing play.
  • Options
    Was also fortunate enough to see Jimmy play.
    I remember reading his first autobiography, This One's on Me, which he wrote as part of his AA rehab.
    Was amazed at the drinking culture prevalent in the English game at the time. It's no wonder that in those days your career was pretty much considered over by 30-32 years old.
    My uncle once chanced upon some of the legendary Charlton side of 68/69 in a local boozer one Friday night before a game. A couple of them were paralytic. He gave them a real mouthful about how he spent good money to watch them on a Saturday!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

My dad was from Whetstone, North London & a massive Spurs fan.

He took me to some of their games when I was probably aged 5-7 at a guess.

I remember Greaves, Gilzean, in fact I could still name the team.

He married my mum from Blackheath and moved to South London, so as a young kid I supported both Spurs & Charlton & went to both. The travel was too much, so he started taking me to Charlton every game, from 1973. I was addicted and have had a S/T ever since and always will.

Every start of the season just like Golfie saying Charlton will be relegated, Dad said Spurs would win the league. He was spoilt with their double winning team.

Anyway, he died nearly 8 years ago and they never did. If Leicester don't win it this season, I'd like Spurs to do it for my old dad.

Shhhh, dont mention the T word ;) fingers crossed eh!
    Would rather Spurs win the Premiership then Arsenal or City.....but not more then Leicester....that really would be something is they were to do it.
  • Options
    Remember the Old Man taking me over to West Ham on a night game as a young boy just to see Jimmy Geaves play.
  • Options
    Terrible news. Greaves was a recovering alcoholic and probably led a very stressful life which led to his serious stroke.
    I hope that he has enough money saved, especially from his media career, to contribute to the care and medical treatment he will surely need
  • Options
    Very sad news. Jimmy remains for me the very best striker this country produced. Hope he can make the best of his situation and still get some fulfillment from his life.
  • Options
    It was a travesty that he didn't play in the 66 final. Although I suppose it worked out ok for England but not for him.
    True great of the game, I am glad I saw him play.
  • Options
    Worth watching for the first five minutes alone, features us v Arsenal and a corker of a joke from Greavsie on the boat race...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7Uap8ZQrQ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You never mentioned who was third in the league, boo