Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The US Primary Elections (and how they work)

I thought I would start a thread doing my best to explain the US primary system, which has been all over the news, and will continue to be in the news with today being super Tuesday. This thread is intended to be informational, and explain a bizarre and archaic system for how candidates are chosen for the Republican and Democratic nominations for president.

Disclaimers: I am not a political scientist by trade, however, my first love was journalism, particularly surrounding politics and public policy, and I had graduated from University at a different time that would almost certainly have been my vocation. It is almost certain I will get particulars wrong, and I will do my best to cite sources and correct myself (or feel free to correct me) as I go.

As stated elsewhere, I am neither a Republican nor Democrat. I am far left of both, and a critic of our current political system. I will do my best to remain unbiased in this thread, and instead focus on the mechanics of the system. That said, I reserve the right to poke fun at the reductio ad absurdum or the system.

Okay, so for all six of you anoraks still interested, let's give this a go.

The U.S. Primary elections are held every four years as a way of both parties choosing their nominee to run for President. In years where there is a sitting president eligible for another term (President by law are limited to two four-year terms, or ten years total in office), such as in 2004 or 2012, primaries are largely a formality as sitting presidents usually run unopposed. This year, both the Republicans and Democrats need to choose nominees for the general election in November.

Primaries as a democratic election is a relatively new concept. Until the 60s (ish), nominees were chosen during party conventions, where the leaders of the parties (important party members, elected officials from the parties such as Congressmen, Governors, etc.) would get together and choose the nominee. This has since changed to a popular vote...kind of. And this is where things start to get weird.

The elections that make up the primary are not a straight forward most votes is the winner. Instead, primaries are done one state at a time (multiple states can hold their primary on the same day, as is the case with Super Tuesday). To become the party nominee, a candidate must have the most "Delegates" who go to the party convention representing their state and put in their vote for the candidate who won them in their state. Delegates are awarded differently in each state. In some states, they are divided by percentage of the vote, so let's say California has 10 delegates that they send to the Democratic Convention. If Hillary Clinton wins 60% of the vote and Bernie Sanders wins 40%, California will send 6 delegates for Hillary Clinton, and 4 for Bernie Sanders.

In other states, Delegates are done by a "winner takes all" method. Using the California example, but instead let's say that California is a "Winner Takes All" state (which I believe it is), then if Hillary Clinton wins 51% of the vote and Bernie Sanders wins 49% of the vote, Hillary Clinton would get all 10 delegates from California.

Who can vote in the primary for which party varies from state to state. On universal is that an individual can only vote in one primary, either Democrat or Republican. How long you have to be registered as a Democrat or Republican, or if you even need to be registered as belonging to one of the parties to vote in their primary, depends on the state. California has an open election, so that I, as an independent, can vote in either the Democratic or Republican primary.

Seem pretty straightforward so far? Kind of? Okay let's talk about where it gets even weirder.

Not all states hold straightforward elections for who gets their delegates. Some states instead have what are called "Caucuses." Caucuses are where members or each party get together, usually in high school gymnasiums, and votes are cast in person in the room usually by a show of hands or by writing on scraps of paper. I am not making this up. This is how Iowa holds a portion of their Caucus. From that, the candidate with the most people who could be bothered to turn up gets the delegates (in Iowa's case it's proportional).

As you've probably gathered by now, not all states vote at once. That would be too simple. Instead, Primaries/Caucuses are drawn out over a four month period. Iowa, which happened at the beginning of February, holds their primary first because of tradition. Same for New Hampshire being second on tradition. From there, it all gets a bit murky. States are constantly vying to get further ahead in the voting order to ensure their votes mean more. This famously happened when Florida held their primary early in 2008, against the Democratic party wishes, and thus their results were thrown out. States voting in a random order can create a "false economy" in terms representation. Oftentimes, if candidates do well early on in the primary, regardless of their electability, they are given a huge bump in terms of publicity and fundraising. This is evident by the fact that no candidate who won Iowa on the Republican side has gone on to become the nominee since...er, it's been at least three election cycles. As such, the emphasis of the votes of Iowa and New Hampshire, the first two states to vote, are often overweighted when compared to a state like California, the most populous in the union, which votes in June, some four months later.

The trend within the primaries, particularly early on, is for candidates who better speak to the "base" of the party to do better, with more moderates usually excelling as the race goes on. In the case of the Democrats, this means that further left-leaning candidates usually start strong and then fade, and with the Republicans, far right candidates are usually early frontrunners before fading away. I do not expect this to be the case in 2016, as Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, and Donald Trump (all three would be considered fringe candidates in most years) all seem to have sustained enough support and money to be in it for the long haul.

So, aside from the weird voting practices, and the whole strange delegate thing, it's pretty simple, most delegates as voted for by the people means a candidate will be their party's nominee right? NO! Not necessarily anyway. Because, on top of the delegates voted for by the people in each state, there are also "Super Delegates." These shadowy figures, who I picture being shrouded in dark hooded cloaks and feeding on swans' blood and monkey embryos can ultimately decide who the party nominee is. Super Delegates are usually higher-ups in the party. They attend the respective conventions to cast their vote for a candidate. On the Republican side, they usually vote in line with the public vote, but on the Democratic side, all bets are off. For more, see this article, and note that Super Delegates will ensure that Hillary Clinton will ultimately be the Democratic nominee.
http://www.bustle.com/articles/141611-does-the-gop-have-superdelegates-the-republican-partys-nomination-rules-are-different-this-year

Once this is all done, the two parties hold conventions where they formally announce their candidate for president. Party conventions are some of the most repulsive, vile things on earth. This is also where the Vice Presidential candidate is announced. If there is no clear winner going in to the convention, then a series of bargains and back-room dealings goes into effect. This hasn't happened for quite some time, so how this would play out would be interesting to see.

I will do my best to update this if and when I find inaccuracies or ways to better explain the process. Please ask questions you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them or direct you to places with answers.

This post is brought to you by insomnia, Mogwai, and My Bloody Valentine.

Comments

• Options
    Trump for Republicans and Clinton for Democrats then (based on your post)

And following on from that, Trump as U.S President and Putin to remain in charge of Russia..........We've reached the Utopian planet earth we've always dreamed of
  • Options
    SD

Thanks for that.
    Very hard to follow. No wonder the imperialist arm of American foreign policy struggles to democratise the parts of the world it interferes with.
    In China, where people vote too, they vote for which communist party person they prefer at local and broader level. Not great, but not a million miles from the confusing American system.
    So called democracy has many versions and interpretations.

Trump with the nuclear codes is very scary.
  • Options
    Thanks for that SD, it's something that has always confused me.

I will admit to still being confused but less so than prior to your posting.

Do all voting Americans understand the system?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    In the past delegates who've pledged to vote for a candidate have changed their mind at the convention and voted the other way. It's never changed a result but if two candidates were really close in electoral college votes things could get interesting.

* Been a while since I studied US politics so apologises if this has been tightened up since my school days.
  • Options
  • Options
    On superdelegates - the Republicans don't have many but the Dems do. They aren't shadowy, caped figures - they are mainly elected politicians - senators, governors, representatives, mayors. They're not really that relevant given that the primaries pretty much always settle on a winner way before the convention. The last time there was any uncertainty was Ford v Reagan in '76.

It will almost certainly be Trump v Clinton and it won't be because of super delegates in either case. Both will win 10 or 11 states out of 13 today.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    For a country that had an opportunity to create a brand new political system the US appears to have made a right pigs ear of it! Not that ours is any better but at least it's simpler!
  • Options
    Thank you.

You get a "like" for your helpful explanation. The US voting system has always been a complete mystery to me. Not, of course, in any way is the "like" indicting any sort of approbation for the system itself. Or, indeed any understanding of why the American people continue to put up with such an archaic process.

The USA is a land full of contradictions. On the one hand, you have the official state motto of New Hampshire - "Live Free or Die" which most Americans (I guess) would automatically say is a view they subscribe to. (So you get weird stuff like New Hampshire and a few other States not having a sales tax.)

But on the other there is the complete contrast of the appalling and onerous levels of unfathomable bureaucracy in America today. Tax forms and almost all other governmental processes, whether at the Federal or State level are mired in horrendous complexity and language that is unintelligible.

Why do Americans put up with this state of affairs?

• Options
    Rizzo said:

For a country that had an opportunity to create a brand new political system the US appears to have made a right pigs ear of it! Not that ours is any better but at least it's simpler!

Bu he primary system is just the way the political parties choose their candidates. It's got nothing to do with the constitution. In fact the first Congress did not have political parties - George Washington was strongly against parties. It didn't last long. Primaries have only been used in any meaningful way since the 1960s (as late as 1968 only 12 states had primaries) - before then candidates were chosen rather secretively by state delegations.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Thank you.

You get a "like" for your helpful explanation. The US voting system has always been a complete mystery to me. Not, of course, in any way is the "like" indicting any sort of approbation for the system itself. Or, indeed any understanding of why the American people continue to put up with such an archaic process.

The USA is a land full of contradictions. On the one hand, you have the official state motto of New Hampshire - "Live Free or Die" which most Americans (I guess) would automatically say is a view they subscribe to. (So you get weird stuff like New Hampshire and a few other States not having a sales tax.)

But on the other there is the complete contrast of the appalling and onerous levels of unfathomable bureaucracy in America today. Tax forms and almost all other governmental processes, whether at the Federal or State level are mired in horrendous complexity and language that is unintelligible.

I suspect the electoral college system and the presidential vote being in November but the president only taking office in January stems from the early days of the US being an enormous country with no quick method of getting information around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Jints said:

Rizzo said:

Bu he primary system is just the way the political parties choose their candidates. It's got nothing to do with the constitution. In fact the first Congress did not have political parties - George Washington was strongly against parties. It didn't last long. Primaries have only been used in any meaningful way since the 1960s (as late as 1968 only 12 states had primaries) - before then candidates were chosen rather secretively by state delegations.

It's not just the primaries though. It's the whole thing from the Electrical Colleges (thank you Homer!) and the fact that the winner of the popular vote does not necessarily win the presidency, to the bizarre way in which the country can (and does) elect a President of one party and a Congress of another party which then proceeds to block everything that the President was elected to do. Make your bloody minds up!

• Options
    Bloody lefties coming on here with informative posts, who do you think you are?

I do have a question. Probably answered in your post but I'm too dim to see it. Does each state have a set number of "delegates" and is it a case of whoever has the most out of all states becomes the party's candidate?
  • Options
    Thanks SD. A question. Using your California example where you say you could vote as "independent" for either Republican or Democrat primary. Just how would they know you didn't vote in both ? Same applies in other states where you suggest one or other. What is in place to secure this. Many thanks in advance.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Thank you.

I suspect the electoral college system and the presidential vote being in November but the president only taking office in January stems from the early days of the US being an enormous country with no quick method of getting information around.
    Wasn't November itself picked for the voting date because it was after harvest time but before winter storms?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jints said:

Rizzo said:

This is an excellent point, and what I'll use as a starter for the questions. And when in doubt, listen to @Jints as they clearly know what they're talking about.

This has nothing to do with the constitution, originally the Vice President was runner up in the presidential election. The change in '68 which brought more states into the primaries came about after the Democrats nearly splintered trying to choose a candidate. And even that was an anomaly, because the man who many believe would have been their nominee, Robert Kennedy, was killed a couple months before the convention.

The above highlights the strangeness of this process. It's a combination of tradition and changing that tradition when something goes wrong. After Romney's nomination in 2012, the Republicans changed how they handle Super Delegates. So it's like tradition*, in that it's handled in a traditional sense, until something goes wrong and you elect a terrible nominee, and then a change is made to the tradition that would have worked in that particular year (e.g. 2012), but may not make sense ever again.

As for whether Americans understand this, the answer is eh. The thing is, there is usually a clear winner relatively early on, so it's very rare that it goes all the way through all the states with all votes still mattering. This year may very well be different for both parties. I could make a decent case for any three of the Republican front runners being the nominee, and while I struggle to see Sanders overcoming Clinton, he could keep her from getting enough delegates prior to the convention.

As far as our election system being broken, you are so much more correct than you know. That said, this is a very tiny example of that. It's really more of a redheaded stepchild of American politics and political parties. We could spend weeks on how broken our democracy is, starting with the influence of unlimited money that is allowed to be given to individual campaigns and parties, and the influence that money has. Because this happens once every four years, and only matters once every 12-16ish years, it's often forgotten about as soon as it's over.

Again, hoping to try to clear things up. Please keep the question coming and I'll do my best.
  • Options
    @colthe3rd Yes, each state has a set number of delegates, but how they're divided up varies. Sometime it's winner takes all, sometimes delegates are given out by percentage of vote. This is unlike th electoral college for the presidential election, where all but two states are winer takes all.

@ShootersHillGuru A great question, and voter fraud is a hot button issue right now given a lot of states are starting to require various forms of identification in what I would argue is an attempt to make voting harder for certain groups. The answer is that, in order to vote, you have to be registered, which required your full name and social security number. These are then crosschecked in the aftermath of the election to ensure you only voted once. Instances of voter fraud are incredibly rare.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

@colthe3rd Yes, each state has a set number of delegates, but how they're divided up varies. Sometime it's winner takes all, sometimes delegates are given out by percentage of vote. This is unlike th electoral college for the presidential election, where all but two states are winer takes all.

Thanks. So is the person chosen as Presidential candidate the one with the most delegates or states?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    It'll be fascinating to see who Trump picks as his running mate. Traditionally Presidential candidates balance the ticket geographically/politically but Trump is anything but traditional. My suspicision is that he'll have a former General waiting in the wings to burnish his foreign relations/military credentials but it could be Winston McKenzie for all I know.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    colthe3rd said:

SDAddick said:

Thanks. So is the person chosen as Presidential candidate the one with the most delegates or states?
    Delegates
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    SDAddick said:

zz

colthe3rd said:

SDAddick said:

Delegates
    But the delegates can vote at the convention for whichever candidate they choose....I think :-)

Edit: Wiki to the rescue - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

zz

colthe3rd said:

SDAddick said:

Delegates
    But the delegates can vote at the convention for whichever candidate they choose....I think :-)
    I believe this is technically true, though it's rare they vote against who they're "supposed" to vote for.

I should add that because of the wide array of political stances in this election, I suspect we're going to see a "re-alignment" of the parties before too long. For the Republicans, this has been a long time coming after bad defeats in 2008 and 2012.

On the potential Veeps, for Trump I would normally say an establishment Republican, but it's one where who knows. I could actually see it being Ted Cruz, basically sticking two fingers up at moderates and doubling down for the evangelical Christian vote.

For Clinton, early days, but Cory Booker would make a lot of sense, particularly as a way to placate the more liberal wing of the party. That said, it could also very well be someone from a swing state.

Were Sanders to somehow win the nomination, he should beg and plead with Elizabeth Warren to run with him.
  • Options
    SD
    Are there many Americans who gawp in shocked disbelief when they contemplate Trump as I do?
    On the news they have found a lot of people who are backing him in a kind of 'I'm for Boris' way with no idea about what he will do.
    To make matters worse Clinton seems both dull and tainted.
    It is far from inconceivable to me that if elected, Trump might want to launch a teensy weensy nuclear strike on somebody to make a point.
    Nutcase Megalomaniac Putin responds, and the planet can kiss it's arse goodbye.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I should add that because of the wide array of political stances in this election, I suspect we're going to see a "re-alignment" of the parties before too long. For the Republicans, this has been a long time coming after bad defeats in 2008 and 2012.

Nate Silver has an article on this up on his blog. I'm sceptical. I can see that the nomination of Trump is a seismic event in the GOP. But it's hard to see it as a realignment as such. Although he doesn't have the purity that everyone thought Republican voters required, they are still the same voters and I can't see the Democrats going after them. This isn't like the late 60s and 70s when the Dems had effectively split into conservative, segregationist southerners and northern and mid-western liberals allowing Nixon to establish the Republicans in the south.

• Options
    Jints said:

SDAddick said:

Nate Silver has an article on this up on his blog. I'm sceptical. I can see that the nomination of Trump is a seismic event in the GOP. But it's hard to see it as a realignment as such. Although he doesn't have the purity that everyone thought Republican voters required, they are still the same voters and I can't see the Democrats going after them. This isn't like the late 60s and 70s when the Dems had effectively split into conservative, segregationist southerners and northern and mid-western liberals allowing Nixon to establish the Republicans in the south.

People forget how racist the Democrats in the south were until comparatively recently. The cliche of 'liberal' Democrats vs jackboot Republicans wouldn't have been recognised a couple of generations ago. BTW I'd forgotten about Nate Silver, I hope the BBC pay him another £250k for his insights into the forthcoming referendum, he earned it last time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post. Bizarre that they don't have the same system in each state. In an open election can independents vote in both a Democratic and Republican Primary?!
  • Options
    SD, in what way do you mean when You say that "Partyconventions are some of the most repulsive, vile things on earth." ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

SD
    Are there many Americans who gawp in shocked disbelief when they contemplate Trump as I do?
    On the news they have found a lot of people who are backing him in a kind of 'I'm for Boris' way with no idea about what he will do.
    To make matters worse Clinton seems both dull and tainted.
    It is far from inconceivable to me that if elected, Trump might want to launch a teensy weensy nuclear strike on somebody to make a point.
    Nutcase Megalomaniac Putin responds, and the planet can kiss it's arse goodbye.

I don't think there are as many Americans shocked by Trump's popularity as there were. He continues to rise in the polls, and is getting the endorsements of some pretty smart people. Trump is on TV constantly over here, and doesn't come over as nutty as so many of the popular sound-bites make him appear. His tactic seems to be outrageous, and then back off to a more sensible position. Apparently this has been the way he has negotiated in his businesses as well. I'm not a supporter of his, but I'm not as scared as having him as President as I am of Clinton.
  • Options
    While not particularly understanding the Primaries I always thought they sounded very democratic and I think your post SD has confirmed this if also showing it is by no means a perfect process. The caucus system I like less so because it is an open vote and therefore more easy to influence individual "voters". My understanding is also that you have to be registered with a party to vote in a caucus. Primaries where anyone can vote are very interesting. You'd think that opposition parties would swamp these to vote for the worst candidate but I suppose they would cancel each other out in tit for tat exercises. A primary where anyone can vote for any party's candidate in a secret ballot and the result is proportional is fantastically democratic and better than anything we can do. However if super delegates can just change it all then it's a waste of time.

This US Election is a test of that growing problem in the world, the rise of anti politics, here in the form of Trump, less honest but more credible than Palin.

This is a good simple editorial from the NY Times putting the pro politics case.

nytimes.com/2016/02/26/opinion/the-governing-cancer-of-our-time.html

I am probably in denial thinking that Trump can't possibly win but then I thought the Tories wouldn't win. Heaven help us if our Trump in sheep's clothing, Boris Johnson gets his way with Brexit.
  • Options
    Can you register for every party (are there just two?)?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    limeygent said:

seth plum said:

SD
    His tactic seems to be outrageous, and then back off to a more sensible position. Apparently this has been the way he has negotiated in his businesses as well. I'm not a supporter of his, but I'm not as scared as having him as President as I am of Clinton.

Probably explains why his businesses keep going broke!

When you're sitting on the outside watching in strange fascination, it's difficult to imagine why a country or political party would choose a serial failure to lead it.

Here's the list by the way. It's odd that people keep lending him money too!

n 1991, Trump's Taj Mahal located in Atlantic City was in debt for billions of dollars. As a result, Trump's corporation filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The Bankruptcy court allowed Trump to reorganize his corporate debts and allowed the casino to keep operating. Trump did surrender half of his ownership interests in the Taj Mahal. He chose to sell his yacht and airplane to help make loan payments.

In 1992, Trump filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on his Trump Plaza Hotel in Atlantic City. At this time, Trump owed $550 million on the Trump Plaza Hotel. As part of the restructuring, Trump gave Citibank a 49% interest in the hotel. He was given a lenient repayment plan. Trump was able to stay on as CEO but he had to give up his salary.

Trump Hotels and Casino Resorts filed for bankruptcy in 2004. The corporation had $1.8 billion dollars of debt. Trump reduced his share in the company to 25% thereby surrendering his control of the corporation. The corporation received lower interest rates and another loan to upgrade the properties.

In 2009, Trump Entertainment Resorts filed bankruptcy after missing a large bond interest payment. Trump was not able to agree with his board of directors on a repayment plan so he resigned as chairman of the board and retained only a 10% ownership interest in the corporation.