Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MLS New Season

2»

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Tapping in to your MLS knowledge here Oakster as I'm going to make an effort to watch as many MLS games as I can this season. so who are the players to look out for? - aside from the usual suspects (lampard, Gerrard et al).

The quality isn't always great, but it's not necessarily woeful. You will get some very slow paced games, particularly in the summer where it can hit 35-40C in some of these cities. In my experience the defending is either very solid, or very sloppy. I have a lot of issues with the league, mostly surrounding the set-up and such, but one thing I will say is that the quality is definitely improving from what I've seen.

I'll give my obvious players to look out for and then I'll turn it over to Oakster
    1. Federico Higauin of Columbus Crew, brother of Gonzalo, clever attacking midfielder who gets goals
    2. Sebastian Giovinco--formerly of Juve and Italy, scores for fun for Toronto. Always been a talented player, but has struggled with injuries and being 5'4''
    3. Jordan Morris, Seattle--Has played for US Youth and full international side on numerous occasions. Waited to turn professional until he finished Uni at Stanford. Turned down an offer from Werder Bremen to play in the States.
    4. Nigel de Jong, LA--Still only 30. Manchester City should never have let him go, a class above Fernando and even Fernandinho when it comes to breaking up play. Behind Mascherano, the best midfield destroyer of his generation. Can you tell I have a bit of a man crush?
    5. Jelle VanDamme, LA-- Big, Bald, Belgian, Bastard. Played for Wolves briefly but spent most of his career at Anderlecht. Proper center half
    6. BWP, SWP, and Llyod Sam up front for New York Red Bulls--Need I say more? Behind them is a player called Sascha Kljeistan, talented midfielder, played in Europe for a bit and has played for the US but never quite seemed to make the most of his talent.

These are all pretty mainstream and off the top of my head. I don't usually watch a ton of MLS, but going to try and watch more this year as it seems like it's going to be an exciting year and I'm in a fantasy league with some guys I work with.
    Cheers SD. Will have a look out for the ones that you've mentioned that I've not heard of. De Jong and Gerrard at LA will be a great combination.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    A few years back I made a conscious effort to take a bigger interest in MLS. At that point I was 'looking' for a team to follow but had no connection or affiliation with any side. This was around the time that we won League 1, I remember hearing a story of how the Charlton team somehow randomly bumped into Eddie Kaye Thomas (actor of American Pie fame) on a celebratory night out... he was interested in us as a result, and then took the players up on an offer to attend a game at The Valley the following week. I remember reading an article on him in the programme, saying he was a big 'soccer' fan, and supported San Jose Earthquakes.

The fact that he said he'd look out for our results in the future meant I thought I'd return the favour and have always looked out for San Jose Earthquakes' results ever since!

• Options
    Actually @SDAddick covers the best of them but I would add that Portland Timbers' Diego Valeri is sublime, a hairy Claus Jensen if you will. Fanendo Adi is also a good player, a mobile, combative old fashioned Centre Forward. Finally on Portland in Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara we have Mark Kinsella and Keith Jones reincarnated - always a pleasure to watch.

The thing about MLS is it is a young league and they try to do the right thing by encouraging home grown talent at the expense of an overwhelming influx of foreign has beens - there are a lot scattered around the league for sure but it's not the all stars parade that NASL used to be. The USA is also a vast country so travel fatigue must set in pretty quickly as they criss cross the continent on a regular basis.

In terms of other players to watch out for Fabian Castillo at FC Dallas and Kekutah Manneh at Vancouver are the best emerging youngsters I think.

Anyway I don't dispute that it's Championship level at best - but the Championship is also a highly competitive and unpredictable league and that's why it's interesting as opposed to the usual Premier League procession (this year excepting of course )
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Oakster said:

Actually @SDAddick covers the best of them but I would add that Portland Timbers' Diego Valeri is sublime, a hairy Claus Jensen if you will. Fanendo Adi is also a good player, a mobile, combative old fashioned Centre Forward. Finally on Portland in Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara we have Mark Kinsella and Keith Jones reincarnated - always a pleasure to watch.

The thing about MLS is it is a young league and they try to do the right thing by encouraging home grown talent at the expense of an overwhelming influx of foreign has beens - there are a lot scattered around the league for sure but it's not the all stars parade that NASL used to be. The USA is also a vast country so travel fatigue must set in pretty quickly as they criss cross the continent on a regular basis.

In terms of other players to watch out for Fabian Castillo at FC Dallas and Kekutah Manneh at Vancouver are the best emerging youngsters I think.

Anyway I don't dispute that it's Championship level at best - but the Championship is also a highly competitive and unpredictable league and that's why it's interesting as opposed to the usual Premier League procession (this year excepting of course )

Cheers @Oakster will keep an eye out for the players you mentioned.
  • Options
    All good name Oakster. The travel fatigue and the climates are unconquerable problems. And the playoff structure is a bit weird, but the nice things about MLS being young is that they seem intent on trying different ways to combat problems. Definitely agree that it's Champo/L1 level, slower paced and less physical, but you will get some good matches.

Also, if anyone is interested, we could try doing an MLS fantasy league. I'm doing it with some colleagues, and it's going to be a good way for me to pay more attention. Their setup is basically the same as the Premier League fantasy set-up, so if there's interest let me know and I'll throw it together.

http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/a/home
  • Options
    I've lived in Vancouver for 11 years and a big Whitecaps fan. We lost 3-2 to Montreal yesterday. Drogba pulled out citing knee issues on the turf and never travelled!
    Whitecaps gifted 3 goals with one being a terrible mix up between keeper and defender. Normally the Caps are strong defensively but that killed them yesterday. General play was good and the West has some very competitive teams. Portland, Seattle, LA, Kansas and Dallas. The standard is good and in my opinion, defence wins in this league. Look at NYFC who have an appalling defence. Great 1st game at BC Place yesterday and this will be a very competitive league this year. I honestly prefer watching MLS to Champoinship games. I try to watch these each week on BEIN Sports and I'm normally switching off after 15 minutes. I've only seen a couple of Charlton games this season, one being the away game at Rotherham.
  • Options
    Orlando City, the reason being I flew through the ground on a helicopter tour whilst out there in November and I bagged a track top in the outlet mall for about £20.00!

• Options

Orlando City, the reason being I flew through the ground on a helicopter tour whilst out there in November and I bagged a track top in the outlet mall for about £20.00!

They scored twice in injury time to sneak a draw yesterday - quite the dramatic finale!
  • Options
    Oakster said:

They scored twice in injury time to sneak a draw yesterday - quite the dramatic finale!
    And they had a 60,000+ crowd.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/07/orlando-citys-huge-citrus-bowl-crowd-ranks-fifth-largest-world-weekend
  • Options
    Not pinned my support to any team in particular yet, but going to try and watch some more of it this season (helps that I have cable again). Currently watching a rerun of Vancouver vs Montreal from the weekend. Christian Bolanos on the wing for Vancouver.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2016
    New York Red Bulls beat New York City 7-0 with BWP scoring twice. lampard was booed during the game by his own fans after it was revealed he earns $6 million which is more than the entire Red Bulls squad. BWP is highest earner at Red Bulls on $600,000. City also have Pirlo and Villa.
  • Options
    Nug said:

New York Red Bulls beat New York City 7-0 with BWP scoring twice. lampard was booed during the game by his own fans after it was revealed he earns $6 million which is more than the entire Red Bulls squad. BWP is highest earner at Red Bulls on $600,000. City also have Pirlo and Villa.

But still my side the Philladelphia Union are top of the eastern conference (I've got family out there) , a team with no real stars having a decent season so far.
  • Options
    Visiting family in NY decided to go with my son to watch NY Red Bulls tonight. BWP scored 2 as they won 3-1 against Montreal. Game was decent, attacking play good, defending abysmal which I guess makes for a pretty entertaining game. The fans were loud in a Palarse sort of way lots of fans at the front directing all the singing and controlled flares going off when a goal was scored. Enjoyed it though and nice to see BWP again. Drogba is still a cheating so and so but he didn't really look bothered apart from that.
  • Options
    Anyone watching the Final - Toronto v Seattle? Am backing the reds - 2-1 win i reckon. Cracking atmosphere
  • Options
    I have an irrational hatred for Seattle. No idea why. Come on Toronto
  • Options

I have an irrational hatred for Seattle. No idea why. Come on Toronto

Hate them too, stupid name, don't like xbox so that annoys me, Dempsey scored goals against us for Fulham, so don't like him, don't like the Seahawks, don't like the stupid shitty 50 shades of mediocre sex books, which are based in Portland and Seattle as well.

Giovinco is the best midget footballer in the world isn't he
  • Options
    Extra time , fans must ne freezing as its -10 (-30 where i am watching it- but i'm indoors with the fire on!)
  • Options
    LETS GO SOUNDERS!!!

I've been a Seahawk since 92 and when the MLS came to Sky a couple of years ago I went all in on the Sounders too. My mate picked Dallas who finished top overall so he's fuming that we knocked them out of the playoffs and even more now we've won the whole thing after being pretty poor for most of the season.

We do have an awful name, sponsor and kit but it doesn't matter today!