Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When's the best time to buy Euros?

I don't mean Harry Redknapp and brown paper bags, I mean the currency, it seems to be going up and down like a fiddlers elbows and I don't know whether to buy before or after the EU referendum / and will it make much difference, any advice,gratefully received!

Comments

• Options
    4.39pm.
  • Options
    Not at this time of night
  • Options
    I am no expert but I would guess that if the vote is for in then sterling will instantly rise. If the vote is out it will call in the first instance as the markets don't like the unknown.
    I have a trip booked for after the vote so am in a similar position.
  • Options
    If you're just talking about buying holiday money then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Well I'm watching it daily myself and of course it's very hard to judge. It bottomed at 1.26 last week and crept back to 1.30 today. The more likely we exit the more likely it will fall IMO.

I don't think we will exit, but markets hate uncertainty.

I'm buying this week. But you could always hedge your bet by buying some now and some later.

A specific Halifax credit card was also the best" rate provider" last year. I haven't checked if it still is.
  • Options
    A month or two ago.
  • Options
    When you go abroad
  • Options
    What the market doesn't like is the uncertainty.

If we vote in sterling will rise.
    If we vote out, sterling will initily fall and then rise again to same levels as would rise to after the in vote.
  • Options
    Us mug punters never win at this game, take it from me as someone who has been wrestling with three currencies for the last 20 years. And got sucked into Swiss francs just before the ******s decided they didnt want mug punters like me buying francs anymore and devalued by 20%.

If you are concerned with money for a holiday the best thing you can do is find out the way of getting euros that gives you the best exchange rate on the day, and the lowest fees.

I do have a Czech bank account which offers five currencies under one account number, and that works quite well, if you are going to be using euros regularly. I believe Citibank offer that in the UK. But you never know with Citibank what they might do next year.
  • Options
    Are you talking holiday money or something more substantive like a mortgage abroad?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a bit of a dodgy one, I know no one has crystal balls for the future, but is the pound good against the euro at the moment ,I don't go abroad very often , so I don't know the rates,and what's good or bad, thank you for your advice CE, will take a gander at money supermarket, are travel agents or banks a of a rip off on converting currency?
  • Options
    Is this just to take a few hundred Euros abroad or a more substantial investment?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

It's a bit of a dodgy one, I know no one has crystal balls for the future, but is the pound good against the euro at the moment ,I don't go abroad very often , so I don't know the rates,and what's good or bad, thank you for your advice CE, will take a gander at money supermarket, are travel agents or banks a of a rip off on converting currency?

Yes they are.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/currencyconverter.

I used these two last year.

ttps://www.currency-express.com/cooptravel/aboutus.html

Travel FX Ltd
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Is this just to take a few hundred Euros abroad or a more substantial investment?

Don't worry, not money laundering! :-0
    Enough for 10 days?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Don't worry, not money laundering! :-0
    Enough for 10 days?
    Ah right, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to time it right as (unless something horrific happens) the swing won't be enough to be too material. Just make sure you have a quick google of that day's rates, I always use these guys;

https://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    This might be your best bet.

https://www.compareholidaymoney.com/buy-currency/euros.php

I just bought with these as they came out best. But I'm not recommending. It's up to you etc etc.

https://www.thecurrencyclub.co.uk
  • Options
    Years ago, when dense fog enveloped the channel, one of the tabloids ran a headline along the lines of fog in channel, continent cut off, which has since been used to mock the little Englander mentality in this country when it should have been considered that it was the UK that was cut off...however, if Brexit does happen (and a couple of million refugees on the continent this summer will probably ensure it comes about) then I suspect it will be that the continent will be cut off and it may well be the Euro that is badly hit as it dawns on everyone that its main market for exports and a major cash contributor to the commission's funding may no longer be going to underpin it and that other countries may also exit the EU...
  • Options
    Just don't buy at the airport !!!
  • Options
    And to answer your question the pound is low against euro at moment.
  • Options
    Buy high/sell low. High St money/pawn shops are far more competitive than the banks, M&S or Post Office. However if you're dealing in less than £10k I wouldn't really worry too much about a couple of pips.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Last July.

But seriously, what I do is run dollar and euro accounts and feed money into them in dribs and drabs to smooth out the effects of currency fluctuations. I then don't take any money with me but switch my debit card over to the relevant account and draw money out fee free from local ATMs and also use the card for shopping/restaurants.

But I expect that bloke who must have been related to Gordon Brown will be along soon to tell you to buy gold instead and live in a bunker in Scotland.

I have a contrary view to others on what Brexit will mean. While it's true Markets don't like uncertainty, many will see leaving the EU as a nice little gamble on forward currency pricing. They will see the potential for a significant UK interest rate rise - needed to protect sterling and stave off inflationary pressures caused by rising commodity/import costs. So a Brexit vote could just as easily see Sterling rise in value.
    Like everything, only time will tell I guess.

Edited to add: a side benefit of running the Euro account is that it facilitates buying stuff directly from Europe. I find this particular useful for things like consumables on German kitchen appliances which are much, much cheaper there than in the UK. My bank does not charge for SEPA payments and Deutsche Post seems to be able to get packages to me much more quickly than the UK postal service manages. (This kind of flexibility is another reason I'll be voting in. Without free movement of goods, whatever other countries might do, HMRC will be wanting their VAT on personally imported goods if we leave and that would mean this type of arrangement would be dead in the water and give Siemens and the like an immediate opportunity to raise prices in the UK.)