Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vancouver

Another CL travel tips thread. Despite having lived in Western Canada for 5 years I'm finally getting around to have my first jaunt (if you can call a 14 hour drive a jaunt) down to Vancouver in a week's time.

Any CL recommendations for must see things to do either in Vancouver or within reasonable driving distance for a day trip?

Comments

• Options
    Where to start on this. Think there is a thread somewhere already but Granville Island is cracking for foodies.
  • Options
    Which route are you taking? I guess through the Okanagan - some nice places to stop on the way - even before you get there. Not sure where to start on Vancouver - so many interesting places to go though. I am there every few weeks for work & never fail to find a good place to eat - especially if you like Asian food of every description. Whistler & Squamish are worth a day trip - hop on an early ferry & head over to the Island for a day.

Even though we have had the mildest winter ever this year, once you get over the Rockies you are several weeks (if not months!) ahead of good old Alberta weather wise....
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Which route are you taking? I guess through the Okanagan - some nice places to stop on the way - even before you get there. Not sure where to start on Vancouver - so many interesting places to go though. I am there every few weeks for work & never fail to find a good place to eat - especially if you like Asian food of every description. Whistler & Squamish are worth a day trip - hop on an early ferry & head over to the Island for a day.

Even though we have had the mildest winter ever this year, once you get over the Rockies you are several weeks (if not months!) ahead of good old Alberta weather wise....

Yeah, weird that there is basically no snow left even in Edmonton but everything is that nasty early prairie spring dirty brown at the moment so looking forward to seeing some green.

Breaking the journey up as there will be the missus and I, my folks and a 10 month old squeezed into the car along with our luggage. Driving to Hinton on Friday after work then Cache Creek, then onto Vancouver. Plan to stop and admire the scenery en route. Coming back via Kelowna which I've been to before and then Canmore which we've all been to before (I'll be trying out that Poutine place hopefully!).

Friend of a friend runs a creole restaurant down there (Ouisi Bistro) so plan to try that out and Granville Island was already on the list along with Stanley Park but other than that haven't really decided where to visit.

Any recommendations for a decent Indian? Especially if there is anywhere serving anything akin to a British Balti. They're really not that great in Edmonton.
  • Options
    Stanley Park; Grouse Mountain
  • Options
    Vancouver Island/Victoria
  • Options

Oakster said:

Yeah, weird that there is basically no snow left even in Edmonton but everything is that nasty early prairie spring dirty brown at the moment so looking forward to seeing some green.

Breaking the journey up as there will be the missus and I, my folks and a 10 month old squeezed into the car along with our luggage. Driving to Hinton on Friday after work then Cache Creek, then onto Vancouver. Plan to stop and admire the scenery en route. Coming back via Kelowna which I've been to before and then Canmore which we've all been to before (I'll be trying out that Poutine place hopefully!).

Friend of a friend runs a creole restaurant down there (Ouisi Bistro) so plan to try that out and Granville Island was already on the list along with Stanley Park but other than that haven't really decided where to visit.

Any recommendations for a decent Indian? Especially if there is anywhere serving anything akin to a British Balti. They're really not that great in Edmonton.
    That's the trouble when you leave these shores is getting proper British food.
  • Options
    Get to the island if you can. You can get a sea plane - Harbour Air I think. Much quicker than alternatives. Victoria is a lovely city and the island stunning. Great whale watching. If you want cheap car hire try Rent a Wreck in Nanaimo. Not what it sounds like and great value.
  • Options
    Vancouver Islans Uculet and the walking trail is beautiful.

Brilliant Indiian restaurant in Vancouver cannot remember it's name. Viji maybe?
  • Options
    Thanks for the Victoria recommendations but we went there last year. Lovelly place but Mum is terrified of boats too so we'd need to fly which isn't really in the budget.
  • Options
    If you crave a proper curry we have the Spice Hut in Canmore which is by far the best I have tried all over the West - would mean missing out on La Bellle Patate though if you are only here 1 night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Churchill arms in old town. Best real pub in North America.
  • Options
    Lovely City, Capilano Suspension Bridge not for the faint hearted but awesome. Gastown is great, if you fancy an alternative curry, Naam on West 4th Avenue near Kitsilano is smashing. Veggie so if not your scene fair play, yet I'm carnivorous and went there 3 times in one week.