Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It could all have been so different

edited March 2016 in General Charlton
I don't know if anybody else has thought this in the last few days, but when you look at how much energy, passion and inventiveness have been put into the protests against Roland and Co, you cannot help but think what a botched, missed opportunity it has been for them that things had to get to this state.
A club, Charlton, of all clubs, at war with its supporters. It beggars belief, it's a sad, sad thing.
Had Roland been as good a strategist as he thinks he is, and had he properly appreciated what he had when he bought this club, he could well have been sitting there now with the golden goose about to drop him a nice Easter gift.
It was all there, Roland, you had the staff, a good number of talented players, and you had the supporters right behind you. A few smart informed purchases, and we would have been pushing for a play off place maybe that season.
Further development of the first team would have seen us promoted this season or last, I am sure we could have achieved that or close.
But what have we got?
A desperate relegation battle, executive management of the club that bounces from one disaster to another, both on and off the field, the PR of the club in tatters, and an alienated support base that increasingly would rather stay away.
And then we have the legendary statement on the OS.
It's OUR fault, Roland....?
If you could only understand what you have let slip through your fingers.
For a man who does not do failure, you seem to making a bloody good effort at achieving it.

Comments

• Options
    It could have been so different if Murray hadn't appointed Dowie, given him millions to spunk on shite players, then sacked him before he had a chance to turn it round.
  • Options
    Or actually just not appointed Dowie.
  • Options
    The appointment of Dowie started the whole decline - Murray has to take responsibility for this.
  • Options

Or kept Curbs instead of not having the courage of his convictions.... which he seems to have in abundance these days.
  • Options

Or kept Curbs instead of not having the courage of his convictions.... which he seems to have in abundance these days.
    I don't think Curbs leaving was the issue - we just needed a half-decent manager to replace him rather than appointing Dowie to get back at Palace.
  • Options
    Looking back its crazy the sort of people who were lined up for the Charlton job...

Billy Davies... Has disappeared from the face of the earth, finally got to the Premier League with Derby yet less said the better
    Peter Taylor... Flopped hard with Crystal Palace after replacing Dowie
    Iain Dowie... Yeah okay.

Now you've got Leicester who sack Pearson and get Ranieri, i.e. where was our star unemployed Manager at the time?