Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier league 2

Driving to work this morning, half listening to talk sport and they mentioned a reserve league being planned by the premier league clubs. Only formative stages they said but if agreed would be all premier league reserve teams playing mirror fixtures to the main teams. I think they said it would predominately be Friday night games and everybody seemed to give it the thumbs up. It would have some serious prize money for the winners.

This would mean that if say Man Utd where playing Man City on the Saturday, the reserve teams would play on the Friday night.

As I say only half caught what they where talking about, but makes sense and would seriously scupper RD's plans as the top league would be premier clubs only. Following on from the fair play u turn this might just be the straw that breaks the camels back!

Can anybody add some flesh to the bones or did I mishear.

Comments

• Really dont get it as the current format doesnt seem to be failing yet...
  • Wasn't this the original plan for tier 1 u21 teams? Big prize money would give youngsters experience of the pressures of playing at a higher level
  • Used to like this in all the divisions.

Except the reserves usually played the reverse fixture at the same time as the main game.

Seems obvious to me - gives everybody a game. You could usually see the reserves play for free!

What they seemed to say on radio was that this way they felt that if the games were played in the main stadium and made very competitive, premier teams would no longer need to loan players to lower league teams as the standard would be as good if not better in premier 2.

As I say didn't really catch it all but plans appeared to be backed by premier league they mentioned serious prize money, whatever that means.
  • Trouble is, many teams use the Under 21 games to play 1st team players coming back from injury. If playing Friday night, would be no good to play Saturday
  • League 1..2 is where its at.
  • Franchises are just rnd the corner

United States with their tried and tested formula, all those sides are franchises.

Then you've got that strange Indian Super League which is just a money league.

United States with their tried and tested formula, all those sides are franchises.

Then you've got that strange Indian Super League which is just a money league.
    The IPL? Everyone in Cricket wants to play in it, but claims its nothing to do with money :P

What they seemed to say on radio was that this way they felt that if the games were played in the main stadium and made very competitive, premier teams would no longer need to loan players to lower league teams as the standard would be as good if not better in premier 2.

As I say didn't really catch it all but plans appeared to be backed by premier league they mentioned serious prize money, whatever that means.
    Imagine a total of 42-games (If we were in the Premier League) being played on the Valley pitch though, its already looking bare as we approach just 23-games.

The current formula involves the likes of Derby / Fulham / Brighton / Middlesbrough (and hopefully soon to be Charlton) in the U21s Premier League... It means that kids can come through these youth teams and because they've been playing the best kids from the best sides, it should technically give them a lift to get into the proper Premier League.

By changing the formula and having the U21 Premier League JUST for Premier League teams it once again destroys the point of lower league teams having Youth Academies (i.e. what'll be the point of Charlton trying to improve our facilities if Cat 1 is to be abolished)

Seems like the rich are just closing ranks once more.

I know people don't like him and havent listened to the 606 show yet but there was a great quote from Joey Barton the other day asking Danny Mills why he was on some Youth Development panel when he's never been involved in helping kids progress!!