Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Henderson really injured?

Comments

• Options

Henderson is seeing his dream of being the number 3 keeper in the Euros disappear under the barrage of goals conceded with the shambolic defending which did in the end effect the steady Eddie type of goalkeeping skills that Hendo displayed last season when ever he was fit.
    Another victim of the chaos and injuries that meant Bauer, Diarra and Khashi weren't there to form a shield to make his job easier.

A keeper needs clean sheets like a 5 star hotel.
    We turned into a 1 star flea pit.

Do many keepers dream of being 3rd choice?
    Chris read what i Said ?

"Henderson is seeing his dream of being the Number 3 keeper
    in the Euro's disappear."

I meant after Joe Hart and Manuel Neuer !
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Bit of a coincidence how it's the three players that care most about the club that are 'injured' (the others obviously being Solly and Jacko)...
  • Options

Bit of a coincidence how it's the three players that care most about the club that are 'injured' (the others obviously being Solly and Jacko)...

And Cousins.

• Options

You mean the same injured Jackson who came on against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday? ;)
  • Options

shirty5 said:

According to Riga today it's now his groin, after his finger, and before that his dead leg.

“Henderson is still injured, he has a problem with his groin, it was the finger but now it’s something else."

They're not even attempting to make it believable any more.

Head, Shoulder, Knees and Toes...
    Toe, Knee, Hand, Cock.
    Your problem, sadly, is that there are far too many young whippersnappers on here, who won't get this...
    I'm trying to work this one out. Give me half hour and I'll have the answer.
    If it weren't for the fact that I know some would plumb the depths with it, I'd encourage you to show your workings.

Shocking the level of innuendo on here some days; I wouldn't mind, but I'm just too innocent to understand it all (what with most Charlton fans being metropolitan "sophisticates" (in the sense that Tom Lehrer would have used)...
    You want a double entendre? I'll give you one.

P.S. Actually, I won't.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

The rumour is that Hendo is responsible for Roger Johnson's recent black eye.

Now that is agood rumour......No smoke without fire....and from what i have heard Johnsons was at the hospital again today.
  • Options
    Johnson is the only player I've seen recently where I think the team would be better with 10 without him than allowing him on the pitch.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I know many will not agree, but I think Pope should be our number one next season

Marko Dmitrovic is the best keeper at the Club
  • Options

ross1 said:

I know many will not agree, but I think Pope should be our number one next season

Marko Dmitrovic is the best keeper at the Club
    Roland thinks Katrien is a keeper.
  • Options

Johnson is the only player I've seen recently where I think the team would be better with 10 without him than allowing him on the pitch.

You are forgetting the super loanee we had that was Rhys Williams - looked a similar calibre of liability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Real credit to Pope he is taking his chance and grabbing it.

He is starting to turn into a very good keeper and if he carries on like this I would be happy for him to be number 1 next year.

I've always said that Pope is a confidence player.

With Henderson now back and only getting on the bench it must be sending a huge signal to Nick as proof that he's doing a good job, i.e. every other time Henderson has come back from injury he's been straight into the side, now how do you explain that to Pope... i.e. If he was a third choice Striker playing (and scoring) because the main Strikers were injured then he wouldn't be dropped

Really believe that Henderson will be sold this Summer regardless of the League we're in (mainly because of his injury record)
  • Options
    Pope is a good keeper, getting better all the time. But he is "older than Courtois" so that counts against him for our football expert CEO.
  • Options

He is starting to turn into a very good keeper and if he carries on like this I would be happy for him to be number 1 next year.

And which premier or championship team do you think he will be number 1 at?

;(
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Really believe that Henderson will be sold this Summer regardless of the League we're in (mainly because of his injury record)

As will every other player of any value!
  • Options

With Henderson now back and only getting on the bench it must be sending a huge signal to Nick as proof that he's doing a good job, i.e. every other time Henderson has come back from injury he's been straight into the side, now how do you explain that to Pope... i.e. If he was a third choice Striker playing (and scoring) because the main Strikers were injured then he wouldn't be dropped

Is Henderson out of contract in the summer?

Either way, Pope is in the team on merit. He would have taken pride at going back to Ipswich and keeping a clean sheet
  • Options

Is Henderson out of contract in the summer?

Either way, Pope is in the team on merit. He would have taken pride at going back to Ipswich and keeping a clean sheet
    So far as I'm aware Henderson is still under Contract although that is just a guess.

Completely forgot that Pope of course came through the Ipswich Youth Academy before going to Bury Town
  • Options

Pope is a good keeper, getting better all the time. But he is "older than Courtois" so that counts against him for our football expert CEO.

Courtois is not playing well since his injury.

Our CEO isn't covering herself in glory using him as a yardstick
  • Options
    Managers, the Board and fans are always looking for the finished article. There is no room anymore to learn your craft at first team level more so the nearer you can get to the top. Rashford, for example, would not be the current first choice for United had it not been the fact that injuries thrust him into the first team.

Many have said it but keepers' mistakes are magnified. There is simply no coming back from one in a game unlike a forward who might miss a sitter but then score. I just hope that Pope, next time he makes one, isn't vilified as he has been before. Because the longer the run he gets the better he will become.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pope has had a handful of decent games. Let's judge him over a longer spell
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Not trying to cause an argument but why does he have to be judged over a longer spell if he's playing well.

He only has to have one bad game and people judge that he's not up to Championship standard?
    No player can be judged on just a handful of games . If he keeps playing well, we'll all be delighted but he has made numerous mistakes before .
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Not trying to cause an argument but why does he have to be judged over a longer spell if he's playing well.

He only has to have one bad game and people judge that he's not up to Championship standard?
    No player can be judged on just a handful of games . If he keeps playing well, we'll all be delighted but he has made numerous mistakes before .
    I agree... He's without doubt make numerous mistakes before yet his ability to perform on this level shouldn't be judged by those mistakes whilst at the same time, these performances for us now doesnt mean he's the next England Goalkeeper.
  • Options
    The fact that he has put together a good run of games, including three or four clean sheets, shows that there's something there, regardless of how he looks after 20 or 25 games. If he does have an off match or two that should of course be counted, but you could point to this run of form and say "there's something to work with here for a 24 year old keeper, he can be Championship quality."

Very much in the first team on merit from what I can tell. Whenever I've seen him before this run, I thought he looked like he had the ability, he was just young, raw, and at times lacking in confidence. Some of the stick he gets on here is a bit confusing to me. With more confidence (completely agree FA, confidence is huge for him) and consistency, I think he could be a good first choice keeper for a while regardless of what division we're in.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

I agree... He's without doubt make numerous mistakes before yet his ability to perform on this level shouldn't be judged by those mistakes whilst at the same time, these performances for us now doesnt mean he's the next England Goalkeeper.
    Just for the sake of argument, how many of Pope's (or any keeper's) mistakes are his alone?

Our defence, midfield (both attacking and defensive cover), and strikers have been largely shocking all season.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Just for the sake of argument, how many of Pope's (or any keeper's) mistakes are his alone?

Our defence, midfield (both attacking and defensive cover), and strikers have been largely shocking all season.
    Take the goal against Preston... Pope got dogs abuse on here for that yet there is a visible picture of Ahearne-Grant ducking and squirming like a toddler as the ball sailed over his head for that 1st min free-kick!!

The only goal that can be classed as a mistake this season is the Fulham first goal.

He did the same against Hull but on that occasion didnt the ball take a deflection of Ahmed Kashi?
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Take the goal against Preston... Pope got dogs abuse on here for that yet there is a visible picture of Ahearne-Grant ducking and squirming like a toddler as the ball sailed over his head for that 1st min free-kick!!

The only goal that can be classed as a mistake this season is the Fulham first goal.

He did the same against Hull but on that occasion didnt the ball take a deflection of Ahmed Kashi?
    The Hull game was on telly here, I'd call him spilling that one a mistake on him. I have a slightly question about his technique when he goes down to collect low shots. He seems to go down on one knee, instead of down on both knees, and it looks awkward to me (I am not a goalkeeper). Also think his kicking needs work, but it seems that during this run in the team his distribution has been pretty decent.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

The Hull game was on telly here, I'd call him spilling that one a mistake on him. I have a slightly question about his technique when he goes down to collect low shots. He seems to go down on one knee, instead of down on both knees, and it looks awkward to me (I am not a goalkeeper). Also think his kicking needs work, but it seems that during this run in the team his distribution has been pretty decent.
    Yeah wasn't sure if the Hull mistake was down to him or not.

As I'm not a Goalkeeper either I'm not sure on the correct technique but at the same time I've often wondered if the attacker is deliberately trying to shoot at goal at that height... they're not completely along the ground and when they reach the 'keeper the ball is at a height so it either goes straight in or it hits the 'keepers ribs so the ball bounces straight off them rather than into their hands.
  • Options
    Ultimately, we all want him to succeed. The fact that some of us have reservations and wish to gently express them on here shouldn't be seen as witch hunts or anything sinister . Given how rare good performances have been this year, i'm happy to champion his recent displays , with gentle caution