Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dublin interview -

I have watched the Dublin seminar several times and am convinced from Meire's comments that Roly NEVER intended to get promotion.
Meire was asked 'what is the vision for Charlton football club?' Her (long-winded) response included reference to the Academy bringing players through to the first team (football farming) and then "I'm a strong advocate of the league we are in..." Not a mention in that reply of ambition for promotion for CAFC.

She later rambled on describing the Premiership as a 'money league', that the wages in the Championship were 'ridiculous' and 'everybody says, obviously that teams that go up to the Premier League need to be competitive but everybody knows that the players that promote you to the Premier league won't keep you up in the Premier League so you need a whole new team...' Apart from the obvious nonsense that promotion would require 'a whole new team' it does indicate Roly's attitude towards spending (investing).

She was then specifically asked 'can we see a day when Charlton will be back in the Premier League...' She replied 'Well I obviously hope so but we are very much a club that is built on the sustainable business model and we hope we can convince other clubs in the league to do the same...' The use of HOPE and BUT are important here. Not 'that is our aim', instead a pious 'hope' and even that is predicated on Roly and Meire using their renowned communication and negotiation skills to persuade other clubs to agree with them. She continued by referring to the current wage bill (£11-12 million) and what she anticipated it would cost between £20 million-£30 million in wages if CAFC were to get promotion and that many clubs are paying those sort of wages but only 3 go up "And so we are not prepared to compete on those terms..."

The nearest she came to considering CAFC in the Premiership was when discussing attracting players to the Academy. " Because we can still show them the opportunity to play in the first team and then if they are good enough they will go to the Premier League either with us or without us..." Link this comment to her opening statement and let no-one be in any doubt that Roly only ever intended to farm our Academy.

I have not included the cringeworthy analogy of fans as patrons of McDonalds or the local multiplex. It is too bizarre and make no sense.

Under this outfit the prospects of Championship football are hanging by a thread. As for the Premiership, those pigs are in formation over the Valley as I type.

For those who may not have watched it, here is a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIVCaZfF5s

Comments

• The clue is in Roland's rant:

"exactly the opposite of what we all want: staying in the Championship"
  • Sounds like a bunch of {...} to me.
  • Is Dion throwing his two pence worth now then?
  • Good analysis. In short, they don't want to spend a huge lot of money even though they know that's a requirement for getting into and staying in the Premier League.
  • Good analysis. In short, they don't want to spend a huge lot of money even though they know that's a requirement for getting into and staying in the Premier League.

It's also a requirement of staying in the Championship. Of course, it's less to sustain Championship football, but it's still more than they want to put in.
  • Don't forget also that, in his recent video 'interviews' he stated that we (he) had already spent more than planned.
  • edited March 2016
    KM’s philosophies regarding her customers and their paltry contributions to the owner’s hobby {…} As Compared to Bill Shankly’s views on the matter ...

“The word fanatic has been used many times.. I think it’s more than fanaticism. It’s a religion to them. The thousands who come here, come to worship.. it’s a sort of shrine, it isn’t a football ground”.

N.b. Shankly took charge of Liverpool when they were in the Second Division and rebuilt the team into a major force in English and European football. He led Liverpool to the Second Division Championship to gain promotion to the top-flight First Division in 1962, before going on to win three First Division Championships, two FA Cups, four Charity Shields and one UEFA Cup.
  • edited March 2016
    Raith_C_Chattonell above:

N.b. Shankly took charge of Liverpool when they were in the Second Division and rebuilt the team into a major force in English and European football. He led Liverpool to the Second Division Championship to gain promotion to the top-flight First Division in 1962, before going on to win three First Division Championships, two FA Cups, four Charity Shields and one UEFA Cup.

(He was also the manager of Huddersfield Town when they came to The Valley in December 1957 and lost 7 - 6).

Great philosophy by Shankly quoted above. Would be another weird surprise for Meire when (if) she ever reads it.
  • Couldn't watch past thirty seconds! She is just so irritating!
  • Sponsored links:

• What does Shay Given think?
  • What does Shay Given think?

"Oh shit, is that a cross? I'd better stay rooted to the goal line"