Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Baseball

Anyone else following the post-season games. Looks like my team, The Cardinals, will face the Tigers if detriot can hold on to their lead over the Yankees, while the Mets will face the Oakland Athletics. Go Cards.

Comments

• You like watching rounders?
  • Yeah, it's a great game but not as good as baseball which was based origninally on Rounders of course. Baseball is the essential American sport. Fills the role that Football does in the rest of the world and has generated great literature and films. Fascinating to watch like Cricket but quicker.
  • Have to agree with Henry; it is a good game though a bit short. Went to see Oakland A's a few years ago (when they were rubbish) loose to Detroit, day game just getting into it and it ended. I prefer one day internationals but with the advent of 20/20 I am sure my drinking is now better adapted to a shorter game...........
  • edited October 2006
    Is this thread a wind up? Cant agree at all. Baseball has got to be the most boring sport ever.
  • I thought baseball was pretty boring to watch until I saw a game when out in LA. It is one of those sports I think you need to see in the flesh to really do it justice.
  • Saw a game when we were in Dallas a couple of years ago, and have to agree with Henry. It's a great game, and has plenty of action unlike say American Football which is just stop, start, stop, start.......
  • Just don't get baseball at all.

There are so many sports that are 'good' that i just don't get it. The fact that in this age of global growth, it hasn't got further than the US and Japan shows you just what a limited game it truely is. Surely ?
  • I swear I've heard Henry slag off Cricket
  • 20/20 cricket at the Oval on a Friday evening is good fun but it is not proper cricket - but has loads of stats already building up about it, after only 4 years.

Baseball is a version of rounders that IS the American game and 20/20 is the closest thing to it here, but it has been played for 100+ years and it is exicting to watch live. The US don't export their sports very well.
  • Baseball is also a big sport in Latin America and Cuba where all yiu need is a patch of flat ground, a ball and a bat, making it a cheap sport to run and a comparatively easy one to play. I quite enjoy going when I'm in the States but I think it's popularity owes a lot to it being like most sports easy to televise and with so many games on per day it makes for good prole fodder. Baskeball has the same fascination for Americans.
  • Sponsored links:

• When have you heard me slag off Cricket, Rothko? Rugby Union - slag off that pile of tedious, self important crap all the time and I did point out the double standard of drunk cricketers being heroes and drunk footballers being yobs but don't recall slagging off the game of cricket itself.

AFKA, by your logic Cricket has to be poor because it hasn't spread outside the old Empire countries. Baseball was widely played in the UK last century (remember the name of the old Derby Country ground) but was overtaken by football and lost out due to the negative sexist connotations with a "girls" game of rounders which of course no one would repeat now.
  • After going to America a few times, watching the baseball every night encouraged us to go see a game in the flesh. It was probably the worst game ever, but the whole experience was worth it. I've found it easier and more exciting to watch than basketball, ice hockey, and American football.
  • [cite] trickyrickycafc:[/cite]After going to America a few times, watching the baseball every night encouraged us to go see a game in the flesh. It was probably the worst game ever, but the whole experience was worth it. I've found it easier and more exciting to watch than basketball, ice hockey, and American football.

Perfectly put Ricky...Exactly how I feel! Decent experience but such a boring game.
  • Cardinals V Mets and Tigers V Athletics.

Mets have to be favourites IMHO bit I hope the Cards can pull off a shock.
  • If the Mets can keep the likes of Reyes and Wright, they're going to be a major force for the next few years. I think when it gets this far into October down to the last 4, its nearly impossible to call the matches. The Mets have got a few injuries and the Cardinals have got some big hitters, Pujols, Edmonds etc, but I don't know enough about either team's pitching besides Pedro Martinez.

Similarly I don't really know much about the other game. Detroit had a better WL record but had a bad slide towards the end of the regular season, but must have picked it up to beat the Yankees 3-1. As the the Athletics...I don't know anything about them. But they beat the Twins who finished above Detroit in the AL Central.

In other words, don't ask me who will win.
  • Cardinals nearly blew the division from being 10 games ahead they won by 1.5. The Mets have been flying but the Tigers beat the Yankees. Cards do have the big hitters so we shall see.

Heart say Cards but head say Tigers to beat the Mets in the Series
  • YYEEE-HA

GO Cards !!!
  • I'd like to see the Mets win it because whenever I've seen them I've always enjoyed watching them, and I've seen them more times than the other teams due to ESPN seemingly broadcasting their match every sunday night! Also with their WL record at .599 I think they deserve it over the whole season.
  • AFKA, DTKLAMF.

Ricky, any views on the Uni not Uni Thread?
  • Detriot Tigers 2 Oakland Athletics 0

St Louis Cardinals 0 NY Mets 0 (first game rained off so being played tonight)

RIP Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle who'se light plane crashed into a 50 story building in Manhatten. Also anyone else killed or injured. Must be quite an unsettling accident for New Yorkers after Sept 11th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tigers win 4 - 0 over the Athletics.

Meanwhile the Cardinals are 2-2 with the NY Mets with three games to go, one in St Louis and 2 at Shea Staduim.

Go Cards (just to annoy AFKA)