Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Easter 1977

2»

Comments

• Options
    Watched the Millwall game down the front of the east terrace as they seemed to have taken over the rest of the ground. Must admit as a 13 year old thought their support was pretty cool singing 'Millwall' to that clapping bit at the start of 'Car Wash'. Always amazed me that they brought so many to The Valley then you looked at their next home crowd and it was a couple of thousand less than ours.
    Was great to beat them and Keith Peacock was superb that day.
    For the Chealsea game me and me Dad got down the front of the covered end pretty early and all seemed quite normal for a while until we realised both Charlton and Chealsea were in the there. One of the Chealsea lot seemed to find the name Les Berry hilarious for some reason. Great pride at us playing them off the park mixed with fear about what was going on and them threatening to get to the pitch, which would have meant clambering over us and that wire mesh thing between the fence and first barrier. We began the long walk to the Bartram gates about 10 mins from the end and the ground was like looking at a war zone. Most scarred I've ever been a footy.
    In unrelated news bought the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers LP that Easter. Still one of me favs I'll think I'll give it a spin later on.
  • Options
    se7oaks said:

Only did the Chelsea game and didn't see too much of it either. I went with some older mates who were right up for it. I ended up down the far end of the East terrace watching smoke coming out of the back of the Covered End. If I remember rightly this was the game Suggs (he of Madness fame) was talking about in his book "That Close". He and his mates were part of the group involved. He said they enjoyed away days at the Valley, no wonder!

It is, but Suggs also spoke in another of his books about how he and his mates got their come-uppance from a group of Charlton.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

vff said:

Remember the Chelsea game. I was just a kid and was in the Covered 'Shed' end just to the left of the goal behind the goal. One of the few games that we went about 8 minutes early as Chelsea supporters had started a fire and it was looking troublesome. Leaving early was a good move considering the trouble after the game.

Mike Flannagan was starting to come into his own as a great striker alongside Derek Hales. Derek Hales also scored Big Match goal of the season in a hatrick against Hull City 3-1. Hales got 28 goals that season before moving to Derby.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/1976-1977

Charlton had a great home record that season with some crackers of games. Some excellent Night games - 5-2 Burnley, 6-2 Southampton, 4-3 Luton. Only 1 home defeat all season. Charlton finished finished 7th. From the statto table, too many drawn away games. It was an enjoyable season, despite the occassional bits of trouble in the ground.

Loved that season, always exciting watching Charlton in those days. The Chelsea experience was seriously scary but what a result! Not quite right about Killer though - his 28 goal season was the one before and he'd already left for Derby half way through the 76/77 season. IIRC Flanagan got stronger when he had to step up in Hales' absence.
    @AshBurton. My memory is clearly going. I now remember the 1-1 Chelsea home draw near the end of the previous season, when Derek Hales needed to score 2 goals to reach 30 goals and claim the local newspaper prize of £10,000.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

se7oaks said:

Only did the Chelsea game and didn't see too much of it either. I went with some older mates who were right up for it. I ended up down the far end of the East terrace watching smoke coming out of the back of the Covered End. If I remember rightly this was the game Suggs (he of Madness fame) was talking about in his book "That Close". He and his mates were part of the group involved. He said they enjoyed away days at the Valley, no wonder!

It is, but Suggs also spoke in another of his books about how he and his mates got their come-uppance from a group of Charlton.
    Bit of an Embarrassment for him. That's what happens when you come around Our House starting fires and stuff!!!
  • Options
    Think it was a grey day for Chelsea and for Suggs!
  • Options
    Still remember the headline in the paper the next day (which I kept & gleefully pinned on the door of a Chelsea-supporting uni mate when I went back after Easter: "Flanagan humiliates Chelsea".

Andy Nelson's Charlton days ended in farce and tears, but that mid-70s team was great to watch and follow...
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Think it was a grey day for Chelsea and for Suggs!

More of an embarrassment!
  • Options

Millwall Match
    I took a mate from work he was a Millwall supporter, a great match. Brisley was a good player, sorry to hear that he gone off the rails

Chelsea Match.
    They were top of the league Wilkins was playing, they looked pretty formidable at the start of the match. Colin Powell and Micky Flannagan were superb. Their Goalkeeper Phillips was dropped and never played again ( he got the blame for their defeat)

Chelsea never regained top spot and ended up third to Nottingham Forest.

I kept the Kentish Independent sports report for years afterwards.

I wish there was a video of the match ( I pay good money for a copy)
  • Options

E-cafc said:

Think the attendance given for the Millwall game was around 16,000. Think Terry Brisley scored one of theirs. We later went on to sign him. Keith Peacock got one of ours I think. I seem to recall that from the Millwall game on the Good Friday we then went unbeaten to the end of the season.

Terry Brisley. About three years ago he was the local nutter in Braintree. You know the type, pissed by 9am, shouts at buses and would smoke discarded fag buts.
    I wonder if he is still around.
    Would probably still get a game for your lot

• Options
    se7oaks said:

Suggs is Arsenal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se7oaks said:

Suggs is Arsenal
    Not according to all the books he has published.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

se7oaks said:

Suggs is Arsenal
    Not according to all the books he has published.
    Yeah, I stand corrected. Just looked him up on Wikipedia and they said there he's Chelsea. Swear I heard somewhere he was Arsenal.