Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold - How do I leave it?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    For what it's worth, I too just cannot understand people who hold back from spending cash on food, drink, programmes, match tickets, season tickets, etc and yet still blindly hand over £10 a month for essentially fuck all.

Massive contradiction in my book.

And yes oohaah, that means you too - how much "admin" does it take to cancel a direct debit in this day and age?!
  • Options
    Let me be clear about something. I'm not exactly jumping for joy that this scheme is contributing funds towards a venture for Roland Duchatelet either. But I think of it a bit differently. The academy is still important to our club long term, even if RD sees it as a short term business opportunity. And when he finally does go it won't be because Valley Gold stopped supporting something that will deliver the heart of the club for years beyond him. Valley Gold will also have helped keep it healthy for the next custodians.

But for me that heart is too important to sacrifice as a protest, particularly as money now will mean future benefit for the club and, indeed, the young players themselves. We're very concerned about Gemma, rightly so, but there are kids' careers at stake here too.

It makes me proud that we're among the leading clubs in terms of players who have progressed from the academy to the first team, and even prouder that the fans support it so strongly. I would be devastated if we allowed Duchatelet to take it from us, not least because many of the things Steve requests - and yes we did receive that request directly from him - wouldn't be provided other than through Valley Gold.

But I do understand the angst. What I don't understand is why people don't just cancel and move on if that's how they feel.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I am just waiting for Katrien to say that the continued support of Valley Gold shows that many fans don't have problems with the regime. When that day comes, what will you say or do? Probably the same as what you are saying now I guess. I do undertsand it, it is a human reaction to something you have been close to for a long time.
  • Options
    I was a member from its launch until I joined the committee. Too close? Maybe, but to be frank, I'm not going to apologise for being passionate about what Valley Gold means. That's why I joined the committee in the first place and I suspect members would rather that than someone out for their own profile or a football groupie.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It meant a lot to me too. I have been part of it since it began. This is going to sound disrespectful and I don't mean it to be, but you are like the criminal's wife who is convinced he is innocent. It doesn't shame you. If you put so much in to something that becomes one of your priorities in life it is human. It is all noble, but in my opinion it clouds your ability to see the big picture in all of this. I am just saying, keep it ticking over for better times, but don't defend putting money in that bastards pockets! You will say you are not, but what is all this Steve Avory asked for it nonsense coming from the scheme?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Let me be clear about something. I'm not exactly jumping for joy that this scheme is contributing funds towards a venture for Roland Duchatelet either. But I think of it a bit differently. The academy is still important to our club long term, even if RD sees it as a short term business opportunity. And when he finally does go it won't be because Valley Gold stopped supporting something that will deliver the heart of the club for years beyond him. Valley Gold will also have helped keep it healthy for the next custodians.

But for me that heart is too important to sacrifice as a protest, particularly as money now will mean future benefit for the club and, indeed, the young players themselves. We're very concerned about Gemma, rightly so, but there are kids' careers at stake here too.

It makes me proud that we're among the leading clubs in terms of players who have progressed from the academy to the first team, and even prouder that the fans support it so strongly. I would be devastated if we allowed Duchatelet to take it from us, not least because many of the things Steve requests - and yes we did receive that request directly from him - wouldn't be provided other than through Valley Gold.

But I do understand the angst. What I don't understand is why people don't just cancel and move on if that's how they feel.

'And when he finally goes .....'. And therein is the problem, wtf will be left?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The same thing that was left when we got back to the Valley. A group of special fans who have had a kick up the backside and a determination to help the club see better times.
  • Options
    I think the Academy product is the primary source of revenue for the regime?
    If this is true or close to true and the VG contributions dry up, it's unlikely the regime will allow the Academy to really suffer. Indeed, if they do, it would be another large publicity nail in their coffin.
    Furthermore, the continuation of VG allows the regime to claim continued engagement with long-term supporters and no matter how much those long-term supporters argue otherwise, outside observers would see it that way.
  • Options

Good news and well done @rikofold

Just rang Sharon and renewed my membership for next year

Have you quit again Ben?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off_it said:

And yes oohaah, that means you too - how much "admin" does it take to cancel a direct debit in this day and age?!

i had no idea till now , just gone online and cancelled my standing order to VALLEY CLUB, very easy .....

how sad, from day one i've put a tenner in every month and now i've put my position in the away allocations at risk , what a monumental sacrifice!!

get out of OUR club
    Good man. You know it makes sense.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Good news and well done @rikofold

Just rang Sharon and renewed my membership for next year

Have you quit again Ben?
    Read it again and you'll have the answer.

• Options
    How do I join Valley Gold?

• Options

It meant a lot to me too. I have been part of it since it began. This is going to sound disrespectful and I don't mean it to be, but you are like the criminal's wife who is convinced he is innocent. It doesn't shame you. If you put so much in to something that becomes one of your priorities in life it is human. It is all noble, but in my opinion it clouds your ability to see the big picture in all of this. I am just saying, keep it ticking over for better times, but don't defend putting money in that bastards pockets! You will say you are not, but what is all this Steve Avory asked for it nonsense coming from the scheme?

It's ok, I get what you're saying - the thing is that my view predates my role on the committee. I've been a member since its foundation and I've always thought the Academy was a worthy cause for the scheme's funds. The Academy, the Valley and the supporters are the three things (at least) that will outlast Duchatelet, I don't have an issue being associated with any of them.
  • Options

How do I join Valley Gold?

Just go in the opposite direction to all those walking away from it.
  • Options

I think the Academy product is the primary source of revenue for the regime?
    If this is true or close to true and the VG contributions dry up, it's unlikely the regime will allow the Academy to really suffer. Indeed, if they do, it would be another large publicity nail in their coffin.
    Furthermore, the continuation of VG allows the regime to claim continued engagement with long-term supporters and no matter how much those long-term supporters argue otherwise, outside observers would see it that way.

Even more reason to use this as the conduit with the club.
    Yes the academy will suffer, Previous regimes have said the same about how how important the academy is yet they never invested, not sure why in this potential situation it would be any different? People were not challenging where their money went then.
    Believe me the fact the academy kept going a few years ago is testament to the team running it today. They are the only ones who will suffer.
    You can't just switch this on and off it needs constant investment.
  • Options
    Meire is content (won't say happy) to have meetings with East Kent, Maidstone, and coming up at the Coventry game, with Bromley supporter groups. But not with Valley Gold members who are paying money into a fund which benefits the academy.

Has she been asked? Or worried she might get the same reaction at the last VIP meeting!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Valley Gold is a separate organisation to the club and Meire is just one of 5 people appointed to manage the scheme. It's an entirely different question and it's a logistical nightmare to get the members together for a meeting, not to say expensive - and for what? If you're in the scheme you know where the funds it raised will go. If you don't want your money to go there, don't be a member.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Are people really suggesting that if the Valley Gold money dried up then the Academy would suffer and close down? Under Roland's "business model" , such as it is, which seems to rely on developing and selling Academy players?

Of course it wouldn't. It would just increase his losses. The thought that people are paying directly to develop youth players is honourable, but incredibly naive.

At the moment he's getting free money, and he must be laughing his wrinkly old moobs off.

Precisely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Meire Goose
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Are people really suggesting that if the Valley Gold money dried up then the Academy would suffer and close down? Under Roland's "business model" , such as it is, which seems to rely on developing and selling Academy players?

Of course it wouldn't. It would just increase his losses. The thought that people are paying directly to develop youth players is honourable, but incredibly naive.

At the moment he's getting free money, and he must be laughing his wrinkly old moobs off.

Just a quick question - just how do you know that he has "wrinkly old moobs"? You might be one of the "select" few to have seen him topless but that's a bit too much info for those of us still trying to digest our breakfast.
  • Options
    It's an educated guess.
  • Options
    I can see both sides of in or out, however a bit of perspective here on the numbers involved.

I'm eagerly awaiting the financial results but I think roughly it will show Roly was pumping towards £1m a month in to the club last season. I suspect that has declined this year but it won't be far off I suspect despite a net income in transfers due to gate receipts and lower TV money.

So do you think he's that concerned about £50k odd maybe twice a year? That's about 2 days worth of cash.

I appreciate that it all adds up, but that's the value to him of what we're talking about. It's probably not even on his radar.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I can see both sides of in or out, however a bit of perspective here on the numbers involved.

I'm eagerly awaiting the financial results but I think roughly it will show Roly was pumping towards £1m a month in to the club last season. I suspect that has declined this year but it won't be far off I suspect despite a net income in transfers due to gate receipts and lower TV money.

So do you think he's that concerned about £50k odd maybe twice a year? That's about 2 days worth of cash.

I appreciate that it all adds up, but that's the value to him of what we're talking about. It's probably not even on his radar.

I suspect that Roly is old school like myself though - "if you look after the ten thousands then the hundred million will look after itself."

In any case, it's something he didn't have to pay towards previously. And none of us like to do that do we?
  • Options
    Serious question to @rikofold - how will you audit the use of the money made available at Steve Avory's request?

Is the "Contribution towards hotel costs for long distance U18/U21 away games" for this season or last?
    Is the training equipment solely for the use by Academy staff, or will senior staff benefit too?
    And what exactly is "Advanced centre costs"?

Answers to these questions will drive whether I remain a member of Valley Gold or not...
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I think your statement is possibly a tad naive. All clubs rely on selling players. Yes he may have to fund more but as I've said, no other regime has ever topped up the lack of investment nor I suspect will RD. He will simply rain back what he is funding. Yes the club need and should fund the academy not supporters but unfortunately we are in division one and the short term focus is to get out of it. Yes the academy will potentially continue but without the valley gold injections there are key items that will get dropped. Fans will be the first to scream where are our youth products where is our future when the academy gets canned. We can't win whatever we chose but we can protect a symbol of the clubs (fans) ethos.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rikofold said:

Valley Gold is a separate organisation to the club and Meire is just one of 5 people appointed to manage the scheme. It's an entirely different question and it's a logistical nightmare to get the members together for a meeting, not to say expensive - and for what? If you're in the scheme you know where the funds it raised will go. If you don't want your money to go there, don't be a member.

Whilst this may be consistent with previous messages - you may have presented this in more subtle terms before. What I mean is, telling us that money was going to be withheld (which I accept it was). It meant I had a decision to make based on whether I believed it would eventually be paid to the club (owner) or not. If you say to members that if you are part of the scheme, your money will certainly go to the club then it is fair enough. Lancashire lad got a reply form Sharon that the money was paid following a request from Steve Avory - like this request would be made outside of the day to day runnings of the club.

These sort of statements, that might suggest it is anything but what it is should be stopped. I'm not saying they are dishonest, but they are misleading. The money either goes to the club or not - that should be the stance and is the stance you have taken in your last post. Then it is up to members what they chose to do.
  • Options
    It's the stance I've taken all the way along, because that's the primary purpose of the scheme. Threads on here have a habit of distorting things.