Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening Advice

1…333435363739»

Comments

  • Arsenetatters
    Arsenetatters Posts: 6,446
    I've just come across my lily order on Amazon (from March). 

    Although the plain yellow, orange and white ones (above) are bright and breezy I evidentally haven't get what I paid for.  I thought Thompson and Morgan were a reputable company.

    The giant yellow ones were a seperate order and they are OK.


    I used to use them and their customer service wasn’t great when they cocked up an order for me. Parker’s used to be good for bulbs and plants but were very unhelpful when I received an order that had lots of broken plants in. They use Evri. 
    I decided to go for more expensive but, in my view, better quality plants and bulbs and good customer service. I’ve been using Crocus and Sarah Raven (although she uses Evri now 😬) 
  • My strawberry tower failed miserably, the plants perished one by one.  Luckily I had some petunia seedlings to fill the hole.


  • However, yesterday I deadheaded using my shears and it don't look 'appy.




  • IdleHans
    IdleHans Posts: 11,804
    It looks like Animal from the muppets
  • T_C_E
    T_C_E Posts: 16,664
    edited September 29
    They done well since the dry of the summer……

  • Hex
    Hex Posts: 1,995
    I've just come across my lily order on Amazon (from March). 

    Although the plain yellow, orange and white ones (above) are bright and breezy I evidentally haven't get what I paid for.  I thought Thompson and Morgan were a reputable company.

    The giant yellow ones were a seperate order and they are OK.


    We were about to purchase a Wisteria for our new pergola so watched an RHS video to get relevant info.  The presenter related their experience ordering from their supplier for their Wisteria Walk at Wisley (which we saw at close hand the other day).  From memory about 25% of the plants delivered were incorrectly labelled/named.  The presenter wondered how that could be given they knew the order was for the RHS.
  • Elthamaddick
    Elthamaddick Posts: 16,636
    However, yesterday I deadheaded using my shears and it don't look 'appy.




    Oscar the Grouch  PBS Kids Wiki  Fandom
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,550
    Whats the best way to fix bare patches of grass?

    I've watched so many you tube tutorials, is it just a case of scarify the lawn, overseed then apply compost?

    We've taken a lot of trees and shrubs out of our garden this summer and we've got some large patches to fix.  Give the size of our garden returfing is out of the question.

    Open to the advice of you expert gardeners!
  • usetobunkin
    usetobunkin Posts: 2,700
    edited September 30
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Whats the best way to fix bare patches of grass?

    I've watched so many you tube tutorials, is it just a case of scarify the lawn, overseed then apply compost?

    We've taken a lot of trees and shrubs out of our garden this summer and we've got some large patches to fix.  Give the size of our garden returfing is out of the question.

    Open to the advice of you expert gardeners!
    I am going to Re-wild the very lower part of my garden ,which has always been very patchy in places with regards to grass. Have tried all sorts of different seeds and planting regimes.
    So am trying to have a copse type area where you can sit in any hot weather and be shaded by the trees. 
    Also quite like having the different insects when Mummy Nature is left alone.

  • ME14addick
    ME14addick Posts: 10,307
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Whats the best way to fix bare patches of grass?

    I've watched so many you tube tutorials, is it just a case of scarify the lawn, overseed then apply compost?

    We've taken a lot of trees and shrubs out of our garden this summer and we've got some large patches to fix.  Give the size of our garden returfing is out of the question.

    Open to the advice of you expert gardeners!
    We had some bare patches and put down grass seed and they are growing well, but did need watering. They aren't very big patches and were where a picnic bench had been and where birds had damaged the grass underneath a bird feeder. We still have quite big brown patches from the drought and with so little rain in the forecast for the next two weeks, it looks like they'll be there for a while yet. 


  • Sponsored links:



  • addix
    addix Posts: 1,297

    JohnBoyUK said:
    Whats the best way to fix bare patches of grass?

    I've watched so many you tube tutorials, is it just a case of scarify the lawn, overseed then apply compost?

    We've taken a lot of trees and shrubs out of our garden this summer and we've got some large patches to fix.  Give the size of our garden returfing is out of the question.

    Open to the advice of you expert gardeners!
    I had to regularly repair patches in our lawn thanks to two dogs, so have switched to reseeding with white clover instead.  Slow growing, drought tolerant, great for pollinators, and you can spend Saturday afternoons looking for any with four leaves.

  • jimmymelrose
    jimmymelrose Posts: 10,544
    edited October 2
    @JohnBoyUK

    Just seen your post about your large pond.

    If it’s not your ’cup of tea’, have you considered converting it to a natural pool for you and your family to bathe in?

    Previously(as recently as when we did ours in 2013) you would have had to have dug out a separate plant section but now it’s possible to go without this: https://www.cajev.fr/nos-metiers/piscine-ecologique-et-francaise.html

    Edit: by the way, if I were to advise a youngster in the UK on a business to start up in Southern England,  it would be this. Summers are only going to get hotter and I doubt there are many, if any, which yet provide this service.