Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crete - Any advice on sightseeing?

Much to do there?

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Knossos Palace if you are into your history and if you are reasonably fit do the Gorge walk whose name escapes me for the moment. Apart from that it's Greece. Chill :

Edit : Samaria Gorge.
  • Cheers
  • Agree with the gorge walk. The original bounty advert beach is worth a trip too.
  • edited April 2016
    I also really enjoyed visiting Heraklion centre. Hard working Greek City with plenty to wander round and spend an hour in a cafe people watching while drinking coffee.

Cheap worry beads can be bought in readiness for next season too.
  • edited April 2016

Knossos Palace if you are into your history and if you are reasonably fit do the Gorge walk whose name escapes me for the moment. Apart from that it's Greece. Chill :

Edit : Samaria Gorge.

The great thing about Knossos is that some of it has been reconstructed. Now that's a big no-no for archeologists but for an ignoramus like me it's incredibly helpful with regard to the context. (There are only so many two-inch high walls you can cope with!)

Now this might be a load of old bull (see what I did there!) But I recall that there's an archaeological museum somewhere that has many of the Knossos treasures.
  • Knossos was obviously a wonderful place but the only thing I slightly struggled with was that I couldn't really relate to the culture. With Roman, Greek and even Egyptian ruins we all have a natural familiarity with the names and culture associated with them. I didn't and still havnt much knowledge or feeling for the Minoans or what they were about.
  • Oh. Crete is a damned big island. Don't expect to see everything.
  • If you go another 1000 miles east you might see Katrien
  • Malia, if it's anything like it was 10 years ago then you'll see some sights........for sore eyes.
  • DA9 said:

Much to do there?

Planning your next holiday Katrien?
  • Sponsored links:

• Knossos is a must-do plus Chania the lovely old capital
  • Thanks all
  • What part are you going to DA9??
  • Agia Pelagia has a nice beach.
  • Hired a car there and drove to Rethymnon. There's a lovely old town and if you're after some traditional Cretian grub then I'd definitely recommend 'Thavma Coffee Drinks & Cretan food' up in the hills but the food there and the view are both something else.
  • DA9DA9
    edited April 2016

What part are you going to DA9??

Hopefully, Chania near Pirgos Psilonerou beach,still trying to persuade my stepfather and mother that there is plenty to see there and not just laying around a pool all day
  • You can also add to the list a visit to Spinalonga. A well preserved ex leper colony. I never visited myself but I hear it's well worth a see.
  • You can get to spinalonga from elounda where there is a really pretty harbour and a really cool mod bar called Rudi's by the beach. Boat trips to spinalonga well worth it. You can't miss them. Also agios nikolais (sp?) worth a visit for lunch and the views from up high.
  • Spinalonga a must and the book will be a good holiday read too.
  • Spinalonga is a wonderful but haunting place to visit but if you're up at the Chania end of the island it'll be quite a trek. Bus to Heraklion & another bus to Ag Nikolias although these days I'm sure that you can get a tourist (i.e. expensive) all in excursion. Samaria Gorge is a must do, but if your fat & unfit it could be tough! I did it at 40 y o & 60 but I'm used to walking distances. Knossos will be v crowded but worth going if you're into history & also worth paying for a guide. Chania & Rhythmon towns are both worth going to, can't remember which but one of them has fantastic fish restaurants all around the harbour(check it out on google). Fantastic island, so much to do & see ...just do some research online. Have fun !
  • Sponsored links:

• I've heard that Crete is a load of old bull...
  • We usually go to elounda which is the other end of Crete. like others have said spinalonga is worth a visit and bounty beach, but they are
    a good 2 hours drive from chania
  • The Red Beach near Matala is a lovely spot (South Coast) agree with the above re Samaria Gorge.
  • Thanks all for the advice, will be compiling a to do list to take with me from your suggestions, much appreciated, roll on mid July
  • Def up to the White Mountains and then the walk down the Sameria Gourge - at the end there is a small bay with tavernas that used to sell ice cold beer by the Litre - Which having walked the 16 km's (I think) is a really bad idea! Do it anyway!

There are organised trips that drive you up the mountains, drop you off for the walk, and then wait around the coast to collect you - having downed a beer of five you can get a boat out of the bay and along the coast to meet you coach.

• Malia and Stalis for night life.
    Spinaglonga for the boat trip and historical site.
    Crete is a great Island.
    Prefer it to Corfu and Zante.
  • IAgree said:

Def up to the White Mountains and then the walk down the Sameria Gourge - at the end there is a small bay with tavernas that used to sell ice cold beer by the Litre - Which having walked the 16 km's (I think) is a really bad idea! Do it anyway!

There are organised trips that drive you up the mountains, drop you off for the walk, and then wait around the coast to collect you - having downed a beer of five you can get a boat out of the bay and along the coast to meet you coach.

You HAVE to get an organised trip, after you've walked the 16km & you get to the small town there is no way out, no roads. You have to get a boat up the coast & while 16km may not sound a lot unless you're super super fit & used to walking on stones for hours on end the last thing that you're going to want to do is start worrying about how you'll get back. One final thing take walking boots or at least something with thick soles. 1st time I did it I wore converse & for about a week afterwards every step felt like I was walking on stones :-( but you must do it, the scenery is absolutely stunning.