Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Polynesia

I turned 50 this year and my wife turns 40, so we are planning a trip round the world. Between LA and Aukland (never been to New Zealand but it looks great) we are planning to make a stopover in Papeete. Anyone been there, and can offer advice about a good place to stay, visit, or see there?

Comments

• Options
    I was a bar worker on the coast in Spain. Wish I'd done it when I left school instead of mucking around in finance. It didn't matter how ugly you are (lucky for me) some girls just thought there was some sort of kudos in puling a barman, and I hated to see punters leaving the bar disappointed (I'll say nothing about how they felt the next morning!!)
  • Options
    I've been to Papeete. If you can, get over to Bora Bora in an overwater bungalow. The missus will like that. :-) I liked Moorea as well. Very volcanic down that way. I was disappointed with Papeete. Drove right around the island and wasn't impressed tbh. It's more of a working island. They do have a couple of nice resorts but not much else. Very expensive everywhere down there but definitely worth a visit.
  • Options
    See the whales in Kaikoura (NE of South Island NZ) Take a boat trip and be amazed at watching whales upending and wild dolphins almost crashing into the boat.
  • Options

I turned 50 this year and my wife turns 40, so we are planning a trip round the world. Between LA and Aukland (never been to New Zealand but it looks great) we are planning to make a stopover in Papeete. Anyone been there, and can offer advice about a good place to stay, visit, or see there?

Don't let NLA find out about the age gap :smiley:
  • Options
    Went to Tahiti (via LA for three days) for my honeymoon last year - only landed and drive through Papeete to get on a boat to Moorea.

I'd highly recommend getting to one of the resorts there - it's is absolutely stunning. I flew to Bora Bora from Moorea - the most beautiful place I've ever been to. If you can do it, just do it.

Amazing fish, such friendly people. Just costs a fortune.

I'd sell a kidney to repeat that holiday.
  • Options
    Mate, save yourself some money and go to Epcot. They have all that.
  • Options
    Never done Polynesia but been to Amnesia a few times. Can't remember when though?
  • Options
    Love that film, has to be the 60's version with Hayley Mills though...