Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Belgian Pro League

I was just checking on St Trinians progress, as last time I looked they were 1 point off bottom spot and I thought they must be near to relegation, like us!

But it seems their league has now been split into different groups, consisting of other random Belgian teams, and these groups seem to be playing mini league competitions...?

To me, it seems as though St Trinians still aren't doing very well, but I wondered if anyone knew anything about how that league works, and whether or not RD's Belgian project also looks set to fail...?

Comments

• Options
    Only one team can be relegated this season cant they? (which were OH Leuvren)
  • Options
    @Dreke373 is your man
  • Options
    I thinks once the teams play each other twice, they then play each other again in the mini leagues to determine where they finish as there aren't many teams in the league and it's not that competitive throughout the league.
  • Options
    Roland's your man. Maybe not, he probably has no idea that it's an eleven aside game, let alone the rules in Belgium.
  • Options
    Yeah it splits into two groups of the top eight and bottom right after the second round of games based and each team plays the other teams in their mini group to determine the title winners and relegation respectively. I think standard were top under Luzon at the split a couple of years ago but failed to win the league because they totally messed up the last phase.
  • Options
    Just looked at the Belgian League again......does anyone know if St Trinians were relegated? They appear to have finished bottom of their mini league after the split, so I assume they were relegated too? Can anyone clarify?
  • Options
    Nah, there's no relegation in these mini-groups. Coming bottom means nothing. The only thing that you 'might' get in this group is if you came top and maybe the Europa League.
  • Options
    Roland doesn't do failure
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Belgian football is now divided between a Pro League and amateur football. The Pro League is split up in a 1A en 1B competition. The Jupiler League (1A) has 16 teams competing(including STVV St Truiden - St Trinians to you). Only one team can relegate from 1A to 1B.
    The Proximus League (1B) has 8 teams, meeting 2 times in the first period of the competition and another 2 times in the second period. The winner of the first period in 1B has to compete against the winner of the 2nd period. The winning team can promote to 1A.
  • Options
    What if a team wins both the first and second period? No play off then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to be a boring league playing each other four times.

Fraeye's team finished 7th in 1B (position they were in when he took over) to avoid relegation to the amateur football
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Belgian football is now divided between a Pro League and amateur football. The Pro League is split up in a 1A en 1B competition. The Jupiler League (1A) has 16 teams competing(including STVV St Truiden - St Trinians to you). Only one team can relegate from 1A to 1B.
    The Proximus League (1B) has 8 teams, meeting 2 times in the first period of the competition and another 2 times in the second period. The winner of the first period in 1B has to compete against the winner of the 2nd period. The winning team can promote to 1A.

Okay i've kind of followed that I think....but that still means that 1 team can be relegated from 1A (St Trinian's) league. How is that decided? I'm still looking at their results and they finished 1 point off bottom place. Got put into a mini league alongside all the other crap bottom teams and they finished last in that. So what was the point of that if none of them can be relegated?
  • Options
    If a team wins both period competitions in 1B, they are automatically promoted. However, In theory .. a team can have the most points at the end of the competition, without having won either one of both period competitions. Bad luck then ...
    In 1 A, the lowest ranked clubs compete in a play-off without any prizes to be won. (as far as I'm aware) .
    I must admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of this system, but ... it remains exciting 'till the last match. It's complicated however ...
  • Options
    I think Dreke puts it the most succinctly in one of his posts....

"The top six finishers in the regular season playing each other home and away (Playoff I). The winner is the Belgian Pro League champion, regardless of who finished first in the regular season. Playoff 1 determines all of Belgium’s European places except for the final Europa League place. One other tweak. To set the Playoff I table, divide the regular season point totals by two and round up. This means that regular season points count in the playoffs, but not in the straightforward way you might expect. In 2011-12, Anderlecht finished first in the regular season with a six-point lead at the top of the table. That turned into four points when the playoffs started.

The Europa League playoff (Playoff II) is all the teams that finished 7th through 14th forming two groups. The groups aren’t straightforward. Group A is the 7, 9, 12, and 14th-place teams and Group B is the 8, 10, 11, and 13th place teams. This is also a home and away setup, with the two group winners playing a home and away series to produce a Playoff 2 winner. That team plays the Playoff 1 team that finishes in the final European slot for that spot in the Europa League. "

Get it ?
  • Options
    Nothing like making things a tad complicated then?
  • Options
    When do they do the multi-ball????
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

When do they do the multi-ball????

Yeah, it is a bit of a lottery.