Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Does anyone know anything about Garrard belt drive turntables?

I purchased a old Garrard record player some weeks ago and now the music appears to be playing a little slower than it should. Checked the belt and it appears in ok condition (maybe a tad loose but in fine condition). What could the problem be? Could it be the motor?

Thanks in advance.

Fk

Comments

• No, sorry.

• Oggy Red said:

No, sorry.

errr..ok. Thanks

• It was my way of bumping your thread - as it was slipping down the page and nobody had responded.

• Motor I'd say. But I've been drinking heavily so I can't get my head around technical problems at the moment.
  • If the belt is loose it could be slipping. Is there any way to tighten it? Or alternatively replace it.

It could also be the idler wheel - in which case you would need to take it apart (remove platter first), clean everything and then oil all the moving parts with engine oil.

It could also be something simple like the 33 1/3 - 45 rpm switch is a bit out and just pressing it towards the 45rpm can speed it up to a true 33 1/3.

And yes, it could be the motor!!
  • Some of the old Garrard turntables actually have a speed adjuster wheel - see if you can find it.
  • I can't answer your question but I bought a Garrard 125SB last year and it's served me very well so far
  • Good things its not a Gerrard Belt Drive, I've heard it slips a lot
  • Thanks for your advice everyone. I guess as @bobmunro insinuated earlier it could be a number of things.

I'm probably going to end up paying someone to come and take a look at it. How much would a new motor cost roughly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Have you tried adjusting the sprocket camber?
  • Change the belt anyway, lube any bearings and go from there. The belt is likely to be pretty old. Download a strobe disc and go fron there.

• Change the belt first step if its an old model, shouldnt cost much.
  • Play the smaller circles at 45 and the big ones at 33, if that doesn't work use tapes
  • Upgrade to an 8 track it's the future
  • TEL said:

Change the belt first step if its an old model, shouldnt cost much.

Around the £9 mark.