Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

22 Years ago today..

56 people set off to watch an insignificant game of football at Valley Parade (Bradford City v Lincoln City) but never returned home; killed by that appalling fire in the main stand. What a dreadful waste of life and what a terrible way to die.

RIP all 56 of you.

Comments

• Options
    22 years.. god where does the time go.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP

And it was supposed to be a day spent celebrating their promotion.
  • Options
    RIP

They use the film of that fire on Health and Safety courses with a counter showing the time in the corner. Whole thing went up in flames in about 2 mins. Terrifying knowing that you've sat/stood in similar stands.

The new grounds may be a bit souless sometimes but at least they are a lot safer.
  • Options
    I think we were playing away to Man City that day, and MOTD had a feature on those twin brothers who used to play for us back then - the Kimble brothers. I remember thinking how unimportant it all was.
  • Options
    I remember it well, a very sad day. I used to worry about going to welling after that what with there wooden stand. Its amazing how teams like welling can still have stands like that at football grounds. To think in my lifetime ive seen three major football disasters where people have died. Valley Parade, Heysel and Hillsbrough all in the space of four years in the eighties.
  • Options
    Also on that day, a 15 year was killed in the running battles between Leeds and Birmingham fans at St Andrews.
  • Options
    RIP Bradford fans - never will I forget those moments.
  • Options
    RIP Bradford fans.
  • Options
    A very sad day for all football fans. I did have thoughts about this when up at Chesterfield this season.

Remeber them well and the lessons learned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm too young to remember it, but have seen the video on a H&S course.

I know people moan about the souless new style of ground, over-zealous stewards etc, but as Henry said, but at least they are a lot safer.
  • Options
    Very sad day RIP