Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HAVE WE ALL MISSED THE REAL PLAN BEHIND DUCHATELET'S OWNERSHIP?

A thought suddenly occured to me today whilst reading through all the varied threads on here.

What if Duchatelet's plans only consisted of loading football clubs with debt which he would ultimately benefit from?

It is rumoured that Standard Leige still have money owed to him although he has apparantly sold it to a friend. Charlton seems to have amassed serious debts over a very short period since he has owned the club.

We are all bewildered by his non-footballing decisions and his ability to make the same mistakes over and over again. His appointments have consistently been "weird" and have stood in the way of any footballing ambitions.

Meire has been allowed to treat the job of CEO with absolute contempt with no sign of admonishment from him - quite the opposite.

I am sure I read somewhere that Duchatelet said at the beginning that results did not matter to him. Well, they would not under this theory.

He bought the club for £14m (although £18m is also muted). He now wants £38m? for the sale. There are various figures representing how much he has spent whilst he has been here and I must admit I am confused as to the right figure. I have never seen this figure itemised to give a clear picture so everyone understands (an overiding feature of his ownership).

The almost disinterested way he has treated the functioning of a professional football club speaks volumes of his plan being something very different from what we all might have naturally assumed when he took over. His complete lack of communication of the details of his plan has not helped.

I maybe well off target with these extreme thoughts but more than a few things fall into place looking back on his short but eventful ownership period.

I half expect to be shot down here but would welcome your thoughts particularly from those closer to the action and with a better inside knowledge of what's really been happening.

Comments

• Options
    It would certainly make sense, if it were not for the fact that his actions over a prolonged period of time would lead to bankruptcy and ultimately the loans being wiped away.

I'm guessing he genuinely underestimated the strength of English football, in that case?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Lookout. Thanks for those very interesting thoughts.

I think you could be very close to the truth but why do you think, if his long term plan is for the benefit of our club, he has been so reluctant to clarify his position with the fans? Surely a clear announcement of his vision at the start of his ownership would have avoided speculation and a lot of the suspicion along the way. He does not go out of his way to bring the fans onboard and the result is the current turmoil within the club. Realignment is a good explanation but without proper communication it has provoked extreme unrest within a previously very tolerant fanbase.

Whatever his long term plan, I feel it could be too late now for the fans to give this regime a second chance unless the visionary has a miracle up his sleeve which he has also kept secret.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Agree that money per se is unlikely to be the overall motivating factor but when they (The SMT at Charlton) talk about learning from their mistakes this does not seem to apply to Duchatelet.

He failed in his attempt to realign the Dutch/Belgian Leagues by dint of a proposed amalgamation and many of his so-called visionary schemes seem to revolve around an egalitarian view of the world in which everyone agrees to play fair. This failed spectacularly when he tried to promote some looney tax laws via his own political party only for the public to reject them as unworkable.

He may well have been (is still) trying at Charlton to implement all of the process (outlined in the Look Out post above) against the background of FFP and a financial level playing field but had he looked at for example Man City in the Prem and the steps they took to avoid being caught out by FFP maybe just maybe he might have had a clue that a totally fair league of clubs competing against each other where some are financially 'handicapped' but all nevertheless adhere to the rules is as unlikely to come about as the Utopian society he seems to crave.

It is frustrating that Duchatelet never seems to accept either changes in circumstances (collapse of FFP/relegation) or the effect of public ridicule preferring instead one suspects to cling to his self-confessed belief that, like his hero Alan Turing he will be proved right in the long-term. The casualties along the way to this impossible dream will be the clubs in the network closely allied to the process. Standard Liege have escaped and so must we.

Every day which passes erodes the stability of the club and no-rebuild can commence until we are rid of this deluded man and his crackpot ideas.
  • Options
    When he formed his political party Vivant, his ideas came under expert scrutiny and political analysis. Duch was asked many times why he kept advancing his ( dotty/naive) ideas and his responses seem always to be a variant of 'if I don't, who will?'

He failed for a variety of reasons but largely because he did not attract voters under 35 years of age. He later admitted he had made errors on this.

It is this visionary aspect that will dog us. In one respect we can agree with him, as a business, the way football is run today flies in the face of anything that we would normally consider sound business. Duch wants to change this and is convinced he can do it. Lookie is right, Duch hadn't anticipated being relegated and he is now 'reviewing the situation'.

What we think is simply irrelevant, we just don't understand how visionary he is. He can put some blame on the FFP regs. He did not understand that UK football will always find a way to dodge financial restraints put upon them. Remember how the 'Alan Sugars' ran rings around the FA? Duch seems curiously ignorant of football realpolitik, but maybe dodgy deals and dodgy money don't figure on spread sheets?

I can't see him giving up any time soon and I agree with Lookie that money doesn't appear to be a major motivator at this stage. But it remains an imperative that Burnley sees an escalation of protest. Good luck to all of you.

• Options
    RD didn't exactly load SL with debt. Venanzi (a relatively small player in the renewable energy industry) didn't have enough cash to buy SL at the asking price, so they did a deal whereby SL had to pay RD £10 million euros over 5 years (I think) to make up the difference.

I don't think Venanzi was ever really a friend of RD, either. His first interest was always as a SL fan. Their relationship has been decidedly stormy, with Venanzi publicly accusing RD of fraud, at one stage.
  • Options
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US?
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

...But politics are messy. Change happens over decades. Visionaries aren't welcome. And no one plays by the rules (Engineers love rules). So, he's just changed the field of play: rather than the political playground of an untrustworthy, established elite, he's now determined to shape the people's game, from the bottom up...

Very interesting observation about engineers loving rules. All the more reason for us to break them. He has got to learn that for him, this club is no longer manageable because we don't accept his rules.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US?

Sorry, not shouting just too lazy to correct the type at the time. Bit of a late party last night. ):
  • Options
    The original post has some interesting points.

I just think he was the last person to be picked for football at school so now he wants to take this long resentment out on a professional football itself and destroy clubs!

The duchatelet ownership would at least make a bit more sense if we was his 1st football club!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Dave2l said:

The original post has some interesting points.

I just think he was the last person to be picked for football at school so now he wants to take this long resentment out on a professional football itself and destroy clubs!

The duchatelet ownership would at least make a bit more sense if we was his 1st football club!

Why can't he just follow my lead and take up professional level comfort eating????
  • Options

RD didn't exactly load SL with debt. Venanzi (a relatively small player in the renewable energy industry) didn't have enough cash to buy SL at the asking price, so they did a deal whereby SL had to pay RD £10 million euros over 5 years (I think) to make up the difference.

I don't think Venanzi was ever really a friend of RD, either. His first interest was always as a SL fan. Their relationship has been decidedly stormy, with Venanzi publicly accusing RD of fraud, at one stage.

Yes, that breakdown probably cost us the chance of signing Bulot... (imagine us with Bulot for the season and how many points extra we might have got)
  • Options

Yes, that breakdown probably cost us the chance of signing Bulot... (imagine us with Bulot for the season and how many points extra we might have got)
    Maybe Bulot thought the club was a joke and said f*ck off I'm leaving.