Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benitez ready to accept £4m bid for ambitious Carson

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Should we could we ?

Comments

• Options
    Nope not for 4 million if we stayed then yes, we will probarbly got a goalkeeper lined up.
  • Options
    fck off not paying more than £2M for any keeper!

They can have Dazza for £15M plus Scott.
  • Options
    they'll never get £4m for carson
  • Options
    how can he be worth that much ?...one season in the premiership and the team he played for got relegated...
  • Options
    It's fun isn't it that if we owned him and Liverpool were interested we'd be saying £4million was a pittance and it was closer to double that :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]It's fun isn't it that if we owned him and Liverpool were interested we'd be saying £4million was a pittance and it was closer to double that :-)

buying and selling is all about how much one party is willing to pay and the other willing to accept...if we are buying we dont want to pay much...if liverpool are buying the price must be high to justify putting him in their squad...if we are selling we want a high price...if liverpool are selling its because they dont want him...
  • Options
    We should offer 2m now plus 1m if we go back up. I reckon.
  • Options
    What's the record price for a keeper in the Premiership? Nowhere near 4 mill is it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]What's the record price for a keeper in the Premiership? Nowhere near 4 mill is it?
    Richard Wright?
  • Options
    Having seen him this season, I can't believe that anyone would dispute that Carson is worth at least £4m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the explaination on economics LTGTR (winky smily thing)

I just found it amusing how we think the best young English keep in the country is 'worth' 2million. His Value to Liverpool might only be £2million but he's got to be 'worth' much more than that?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Medders - depends what you mean by that.

Cech was £12m odd, but between British clubs I'd say Kirkland maybe? Wasn't he about £8m when he went to Liverpool, though I reckon this would have been nowhere near £8m upfront, and a lot based on appearances, caps etc which he never really got at Liverpool.
  • Options
    Carson is a really good keeper but it'd be stupid for us to pay that much for a keeper.

Be able to get someone very good for £1M, the other £3M can be put to much more effective use elsewhere.
  • Options
    If we had stayed up then we would have definitely bought him for the 4 million but its not going to happen now....
  • Options
    I reckon that it is Carson we are going to sign before the weekend is out for a number of reasons. Firstly, lack of any speculation regarding other players. Secondly, Pardew says that he wants to put out a message of intent to Charlton fans. Signing someone like Jarvis from the Jills, whilst personally not unwelcome, would get half of ours fans saying 'who?'. Signing the best young keeper in the country would show we mean business. Thirdly, Carson doesn't want to go back to bench warming and I don't see too many other Prem clubs who need to buy a decent keeper, Sunderland excepted. And finally, why say we hope to do it before the end of Sunday's game. Why not say we hope to tie it up over the weekend. Seems to suggest that RM/PV will dot the i's and cross the t's in the Boardroom before the game. 2m plus add-on's and it's a bargain.
  • Options
    oh, and at The Valley Pardew Q&A Pards said that one of the loanees had texted him a couple of days before saying he wanted to stay. Pards was non committal but smiled when someone shouted 'Carson?'.
  • Options
    I didnt think there was a chance in hell of the player being carson but reading this thread has whipped me up into a frenzy. It certainly seems the signs are there and as someone else said singing jarvis isnt exactly a massive signal of intent. This would be the perfect way to end the season. Come on scotty old boy!
  • Options
    I think the 2 most important positions in the team are goalscorer and goalkeeper.You can have a great team but if your keeper is poor you'll achieve nothing.

Look at Newcastle earlier this season when Given was injured and Harper played.They were in the bottom 4 I think and struggling big time.Given came back and they climbed the table.

Look at Chelsea when Cuddicini plays instead of Cech.

Imagine how we'll fare if we had a goalie letting in goals like Carson did at Blackburn, but every game.

I have never understood why goalies are so cheap.

If we can sign Carson on Sunday for £4M I'll be ecstatic.If we could get him for any less it would be any better.

If we're serious about coming back up we need a top goalie and Darren Randolph is not the man at present.
  • Options
    I'm afraid we're all getting carried away. The boy has ambitions with England, and he's Liverpool through and through. I imagine his choice would be another season on loan in PL, then see if he has a chance after all at 'Pool. Might have been a different story if we'd stayed up, but as it is, don't see much chance at all of him staying.

Unless of course he's found the love of his life in South East London...anyone know if he found himself a steady girlfriend during the season??
  • Options
    Unless of course he's found the love of his life in South East London...anyone know if he found himself a steady girlfriend during the season??

Married with a kid I think...

Realistically he needs to be playing regular first team football, he might be Liverpool thru'n'thru but bench warming for Reina isn't viable for him, more so as Liverpool are rumoured to be interested in a young Italian keeper. So I think Benitez's comments are effectively a for sale notice.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays either on a loan or permanently, he's come on a lot at Charlton and next year he no longer qualifies for the England U21 team (unless it's as an overage player), so he has to play regularly to stand a chance of getting into the England squad and let's face it, we need a keeper for next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    how much do we have to spend this season
  • Options
    We don't have to spend anything. The Championship is just nice in that way. And we don't have that tosser Dowie in charge who thinks IT IS obligatory to waste money.
  • Options
    £1.7M