Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Timeline of the next few years

Charlton relegated to L2
Due to dwindling attendances RD sells the Valley to developers,
RD gets us to ground share with the nigels again,
The fanbase abandons the club and forms FC Athletic of Charlton
FCAC joins the Kent Senior League
FCAC ground share with Kingstonian after AFC Wimbledon move back to Plough Lane
Wins the KSL within a couple of years, promoted Ryman D1 South
Wins Ryman D1 South Promoted to Ryman Prem
FCAC wins Ryman Prem, promoted Conf South
FCAC wins Conf South, promoted Conf National
Original CAFC now a mid-table L2 side with 2,000-3,000 at home on average
FCAC draw CAFC in the FA Cup first round.

....at some point FCAC are in L2, the original CAFC are basically run into oblivion with a dwindling fan base and no ground, possibly after RD finally gives up.

FCAC obtain the rights to the old CAFC cups and memorabilia and become the official continuation of CAFC.

Right...lets crack on with designing the FCAC kit then.

Comments

• Options
    I do agree that the possibility of dropping into L2 is a real one with Duchatelet at the helm, I just can't imagine us doing well next year. Are Portsmouth the only team ex premier league team to have done that? Capacity there is 21,000 and average attendance last year was 15,000 so no need to shut the ground but if we're averaging less than 10,000 in a 27,000 capacity stadium then it might not be financially viable in RD's eyes to keep the ground open? Very worrying. Let's hope all the talk of him being gone by the start of next season is true.
  • Options
    I think Bradford also dropped down to L2 after a stint in the Prem, and Blackpool are about to join that club.

Sadly if Roland stays then that s a very real possibility for us too.
  • Options
    Swindon have also gone down to League Two after being a Premier League team.

Surprisingly... Oldham Athletic have not
  • Options

Are Portsmouth the only team ex premier league team to have done that?

Bradford City and Swindon Town have done that and Blackpool might achieve it soon.

• Options
    Luton got relegated from Division 1 the year before the Premiership started and made it to the Conference.
  • Options

Luton got relegated from Division 1 the year before the Premiership started and made it to the Conference.

Luton were in the Championship as recently as 2006/07, so it was a helluva drop for them...
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Luton were in the Championship as recently as 2006/07, so it was a helluva drop for them...
    Well, that gives us something to aim at. Can we get there quicker than Luton!

• Options
    I agree with the OP but I think it'll be Orient we share with, not palace.
  • Options
    A stint in League Two would be great for my 92!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I do agree that the possibility of dropping into L2 is a real one with Duchatelet at the helm, I just can't imagine us doing well next year. Are Portsmouth the only team ex premier league team to have done that? Capacity there is 21,000 and average attendance last year was 15,000 so no need to shut the ground but if we're averaging less than 10,000 in a 27,000 capacity stadium then it might not be financially viable in RD's eyes to keep the ground open? Very worrying. Let's hope all the talk of him being gone by the start of next season is true.

Difference between us and Portsmouth is that there a lot of alternatives in London. Why watch a failing League 1/2 side in a two-thirds empty ground when for the same price, if not cheaper, you can see Premier League football at West Ham? Unless something changes soon we are screwed. And even if Duchatalet sells, it will take us a few years just to recover. A new owner and a new spirit is not enough to get us out of League 1, even assuming we are still there by the time Roland sells.
  • Options
    We don't have the support of Portsmouth and if we fall down to L2 it will be a long way back. West Ham are going to pick up loads of new gloryhunter fans and the likes of Orient and Charlton are really going to struggle.
    Hard to be optimistic....
  • Options
    I hope it wont come to this but if RD is around for the long haul I can see fans really starting to abandon the club permanently if we end up in L2.

If RD left at that point, how much of the club would be left to rebuild with?