Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surviving relegation battles / near escapes

We are not very good at it, are we?

What seasons in recent history have we gone down to the last two games of the season with the fear of being relegated, and survived?

Can remember winning a midweek game at Selhurst against Derby with 2or3 to go and staying up, but struggling for other examples

Comments

• Options
    13/14.
  • Options
    The Leeds play off season, the battle of the bridge are two that spring to mind. Didn't we also beat Watford 3 0 in the second to last game a couple of years ago to stay up?
  • Options
    And also the Bolton at home game in the mid 80's. Whoever won stayed up. We went 1 0 down but ended up winning 4-1.
  • Options

We are not very good at it, are we?

What seasons in recent history have we gone down to the last two games of the season with the fear of being relegated, and survived?

Can remember winning a midweek game at Selhurst against Derby with 2or3 to go and staying up, but struggling for other examples

That's why we're bringing back Lennie as DOF! Wheel Houdini out in March to mastermind our great escape
  • Options

13/14.

in 20 years it is the only one I know...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    86/87 Play off Replay v Leeds
    87/88 Last game away at Chelsea. Chelsea ended up in the play offs and then relegated.
    88/89 Win against Derby. One game to spare.
  • Options
    So just one season in the last 28 years, and that one (13/14) we ended up 7 points clear or relegation?

is that correct?
  • Options
    86/87 Leeds in the playoffs

87/88 Last game 1-1 at Chelsea meant we were safe and Chelsea went into the playoffs (and were relegated)

88/89 We beat Derby at Selhurst and we were safe. Last game against Forest and we cheered all their goals (4-0) in the rain.

89/90 Lost at Selhurst to Wimbledon. Relegated. Not sure how many games to go though.
  • Options
    going by this, we should sign up Lennie and he can keep us up away at Bromley in 2018/19
  • Options
    Premier League ... 98/99 | Premier League ... 06/07 | Championship ... 08/09 | Championship ... 15/16

I still maintain that we didn't survive relegation the year that Chris Powell got sacked because we were never truly in a relegation battle, the only reason we were down there was because of a shite pitch and the FA Cup run!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember going to Leyton Orient for the last match of the 1977/78 season. We needed a draw to stay up and it finished 0-0 and I ran on the pitch afterwards. If Orient had got a last minute winner we would have been relegated on goal difference
  • Options
    May 1978 - drew 0-0 at Orient to secure survival by one point
    April 1970 - beat Bristol City 2-1 at the Valley in the final game of the season to stay up
  • Options
    1983 if memory serves me right.
    Last game of the season , Home to Bolton. A win or draw for us would see us survive and Bolton go down but a win for Bolton would see us relegated in their place.
    It was 0-0 at half time but Bolton went 1-0 up midway through the second half. We came back and won 4-1. I think Hales scored 2 , Gritt 1 and Robinson 1.
    I stood on the small terrace to the left of the main stand and joined the post match pitch invasion with everyone else.......marvelous!
  • Options
    James46 said:

Last game of the season , Home to Bolton. A win or draw for us would see us survive and Bolton go down but a win for Bolton would see us relegated in their place.
    It was 0-0 at half time but Bolton went 1-0 up midway through the second half. We came back and won 4-1. I think Hales scored 2 , Gritt 1 and Robinson 1.
    I stood on the small terrace to the left of the main stand and joined the post match pitch invasion with everyone else.......marvelous!

Remember that game well. Thought we were down until the comeback. And then all on the pitch at the end !
  • Options
    We had to beat Oldham on the last day in 78-9 and hope Sheffield Utd lost at Cambridge. Both results went our way and we stayed up. The previous saturday we looked completely dead and buried. We got beat at Sheffield United, and they had a game in hand, at home, to already relegated Blackburn....which they contrived to lose. This gave us a chance on the last day which we took, it would be nice to say it was the start of something, but the following season we went down like a rock.
  • Options

Premier League ... 98/99 | Premier League ... 06/07 | Championship ... 08/09 | Championship ... 15/16

I still maintain that we didn't survive relegation the year that Chris Powell got sacked because we were never truly in a relegation battle, the only reason we were down there was because of a shite pitch and the FA Cup run!!

Of course we did have a number of games in hand ..... but after struggling for so long with an understrength team, we were very much bottom of the table when Riga was appointed.
    It's a mountain to climb, damage is psychological, player confidence and form drains away.

Points in the bag is always a bigger advantage to games in hand.

The fact that the team were able to eventually turn it round and finish 7 points clear by winning the last 2 games, was due to some big characters in the team ..... but we were very definitely sucked into a relegation battle.

• Options

We had to beat Oldham on the last day in 78-9 and hope Sheffield Utd lost at Cambridge. Both results went our way and we stayed up. The previous saturday we looked completely dead and buried. We got beat at Sheffield United, and they had a game in hand, at home, to already relegated Blackburn....which they contrived to lose. This gave us a chance on the last day which we took, it would be nice to say it was the start of something, but the following season we went down like a rock.

I was at the Oldham game, my first season. Remember them getting a free kick in the second half and one of our players getting booked as he just kept hold of the ball and started chatting to a teammate.
  • Options
    We survived on goal average in 1962/63.

Needed to win our last two games (against Southampton at home and Walsall away) and somehow did it!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Going way back AFKA to 62/63. We had to beat Southampton and hope Walsall lose.
    We scored in added time with Cliff Durandt getting the winner and Walsall lost. We then beat Walsall 2-1 away from home last game and scraped home skin of our teeth.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Needed to win our last two games (against Southampton at home and Walsall away) and somehow did it!

Wasn't that the season we escaped relegation because of a rainstorm?

Last match of the season, away to Walsall. They had to draw, and Charlton win to avoid relegation.
    We're losing 1-0 and the match abandoned due to a deluge and waterlogged pitch.

But we won the rearranged fixture to relegate Walsall, and ourselves escape!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    James46 said:

Cracking match but I always thought Carl Harris got a goal that day ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Cliff Durandt in the last minute at home to Southampton as I recall and then we crippled Boswell, the Walsall keeper, and had them down to nine men by the end (and we're not talking red cards here).
  • Options
    Alan. You may well be right about Carl Harris scoring. Killer and Gritt definitely scored though.
    It was a thrilling second half. It I had to make a list of my top ten matches, this one would be included.
  • Options
    lungrot said:

I remember going to Leyton Orient for the last match of the 1977/78 season. We needed a draw to stay up and it finished 0-0 and I ran on the pitch afterwards. If Orient had got a last minute winner we would have been relegated on goal difference

Yes - this was a re-arranged game due to abandonment of the original at HT due to water-logging.
    I was at both and, I have just realised that i must be really old :smiley: