Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How can the club function next season if RD is still the owner?

If at the start of next season he's still the owner as seems likely how the hell will we get through the season?
Combination of joke CEO, string of inept managers, dreadful playing squad and ongoing protests looks like relegation assured before we've even started. Who in earth wants to watch this?

Comments

• Options
    nobody will want to watch it and Mr Duchatelet will have succeeded in killing off a very good football club and his investment with it.
  • Options
    The protests will be non existent, as no one is supposed to be going to games, boycott season tickets and match day tickets.
  • Options
    It's a good question. I can't help but feel that Duchatalet/Murray/Meire are banking on most of the protesters giving up and CARD etc running out of steam next season, so a two-thirds empty Valley will watch, at best, moderate League 1 football. They may be right. They are also stupid enough to think they can attract new fans to replace the rest of us.

I sincerely hope that the momentum is continued into the early stages of next season, regardless of results. If August and September prove as uncomfortable for them as the last few months then it might tip them over the edge.
  • Options
    Badly?
  • Options
    With the same level of success that we got through this season I suppose !
  • Options
    Promotion push to League Two.
  • Options
    It will function with the same dazzling success as it has done this season under Roland's "I'm 'King Canute, I Will Prove All You Lot Wrong" approach.
    You just cannot see it at the moment, that's all.....

• Options
    edited April 2016
    In response to the first question, don't worry, the world will keep on turning same old sh*t, just another year as the downward spiral continues.

Second observation. I agree :disappointed: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My best guess is that if you want a template for next season under RD you should look at 2010/11 (without Chris Powell or half the fans). Or for those with long memories 1973/74. They will set an inadequate budget, make some adjustments to reality in terms of football infrastructure, start OK and fade badly. Then there will be another set of promises to learn from their mistakes and the cycle will begin all over again, until we go down to League Two.

I fear you are right. I think the term "managing expectations" will feature quite heavily shortly.
  • Options
    What "players" have we got out on loan that we could see make a return to the team next year? Tucadean? We got rid of "Better than Yann" Pete didn't we?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Missed It said:

Next season is a disaster already. All the scouting for new players and research should have been done already and transfer targets lined up for the offseason. But Charlton haven't had a chief scout for months and haven't even considered relegation so any players they have looked at are for the wrong league. We remain at the mercy of Roland's anonymous Belgian laptop wankers.

The multi-millionaire Roland Duchatelet will spend even less money on players, facilities and staff in a desperate bid to stem the flow of cash he will be losing. The inept and besieged senior management will continue to screw things up on a daily basis. The fans will continue to bang their heads against a brick wall.

I fear we are on the way to League Two and the only way to stop it is for Duchatelet to sell up to anybody who might have some clue about football.

This might be one, check out the red and white tie :wink: ;
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Next season is a disaster already. All the scouting for new players and research should have been done already and transfer targets lined up for the offseason. But Charlton haven't had a chief scout for months and haven't even considered relegation so any players they have looked at are for the wrong league. We remain at the mercy of Roland's anonymous Belgian laptop wankers.

The multi-millionaire Roland Duchatelet will spend even less money on players, facilities and staff in a desperate bid to stem the flow of cash he will be losing. The inept and besieged senior management will continue to screw things up on a daily basis. The fans will continue to bang their heads against a brick wall.

I fear we are on the way to League Two and the only way to stop it is for Duchatelet to sell up to anybody who might have some clue about football.

This sums it up perfectly
  • Options
    The club is disfunctional now, it wont be any different next season unless we have a new owner. Expect much of the same.
  • Options
    I reckon they'll be still signing off their emails with
    "We know we have a big job to bring back fans like yourself to The Valley, but the staff here are trying hard to improve things at the club"
  • Options
    Whatever happens, next season will be written off ...if there is a buyer and Roland agrees to sell, due diligence will take us so close to, or even after, the start of next season that there will be no chance to prepare.

If he doesn't sell, then the squad and staff will be further decimated and we will be fighting a second relegation.

Even with my normal optimism, I cannot see how next season will see us making a challenge for return to the Championship.

But we have to take it one step at a time: regime change first whilst we continue to make it even harder for them to run the club, and then we build a new future together with new owners.

Still a way to go but the cracks are getting wider.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I think we are down into league one for a few years now. Even if new owners come in they probably won't have the money to really make a huge impact. We will need to rebuild over a few seasons I fear. All that hard work in seasons gone by destroyed in two years.

Hopefully Pardew will fuck up next season and Palace will be relegated. That's the only positive I am feeling for next year. Terrible attitude to have but I can't see anything positive for Charlton.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I won't have a season ticket, but when CARD earmark a protest game, I'll come to that. It may be a £5 game or televised game, but I think the protests will be even greater next season - just more selective - which is the natural progression anyway. Roland needs too know that, especially if the League threatens to deduct points - we need to remind him, we can really make the club unmanageable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think "we'll build a squad like Chris Powell did" and walk league 1.

Nabby Sarr will be POTY

Karel Fraeye will win League 1 manager of the year

• Options
    I think Duchatelet plans to offer the manager's job to his cleaner.
  • Options
    Depressed reading all the above posts. I was saying a few months ago that we would have two relegations in a row if Duchatelet remained here next season. But it really is hard to take when it's exactly what is looking more and more likely to happen. We've never dropped to League Two in my 12 years of supporting us..... :cry:
  • Options

Depressed reading all the above posts. I was saying a few months ago that we would have two relegations in a row if Duchatelet remained here next season. But it really is hard to take when it's exactly what is looking more and more likely to happen. We've never dropped to League Two in my 12 years of supporting us..... :cry:

We have never been that low in the league
  • Options
    Mind you he says he as learned from his mistakes - he hasn't really stated what he thinks the mistakes were - he clearly hasn't learned from appointing Meire for instance, he hasn't appointed a manager who knows the league etc. etc. We are almost certainly buggered (excuse my Belgian).
  • Options
    Southbank said:

We have never been that low in the league
    Does Duchatelet know that? If he stays, he's likely to 'accomplish' something that no-one else has ever done in the past century!!!
  • Options
    If the 2 clubs continue on their current paths, our local derby in the 2017-18 season will be against Ebbsfleet.
  • Options

If the 2 clubs continue on their current paths, our local derby in the 2017-18 season will be against Ebbsfleet.

And quite possibly league games against Dover. As a Charlton and Folkestone fan, just typing that makes me feel sick...
  • Options
    There some things we know for sure:

Turnover will be reduced considerably (TV alone is a reduction of over £3m) therefore players wages will have to suffer quite a large reduction apart from a few exclusions (players since before the deadline last year on 3+ year contracts, players under 20 from the academy etc).

I'm going to do some projections on turnover, however my gut feel is it will be under £8m meaning wages no more than about £5m, it could actually be less but unsure of sponsorship reduction and where season tickets will end at.

If they don't or importantly can't (injured like Watt) shift some players they have a severe problem on the playing side.

This would leave RD two options, have an uncompetitive league 1 side or he'll have to inject equity (not loans).

I can't personally seeing him want to do that, but I live in hope he will (assuming no sale).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

There some things we know for sure:

Turnover will be reduced considerably (TV alone is a reduction of over £3m) therefore players wages will have to suffer quite a large reduction apart from a few exclusions (players since before the deadline last year on 3+ year contracts, players under 20 from the academy etc).

I'm going to do some projections on turnover, however my gut feel is it will be under £8m meaning wages no more than about £5m, it could actually be less but unsure of sponsorship reduction and where season tickets will end at.

If they don't or importantly can't (injured like Watt) shift some players they have a severe problem on the playing side.

This would leave RD two options, have an uncompetitive league 1 side or he'll have to inject equity (not loans).

I can't personally seeing him want to do that, but I live in hope he will (assuming no sale).

It raises so many issues in League 1.

The conflicts between the owner's "vision", the needs of a successful team and the constraints set by the League on finance methodology is a recipe for disaster. It offers a range of options and requires skilful management in all departments to get the balance right, the major ingredient the club does not posses in any measure.

Having haughtily said only fools try and buy promotion, he is now going to have the choice between defining himself as a fool buying us back to the Championship, sinking into oblivion, or selling up.