Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Essex ccc

Can't have Essex not having a thread.
Especially after today. Declared on 441-8 then had Northants at 14-5. They recovered to make 119 with Porter (I'm sure his relative posts on here) getting a fifer.
He's already got another 2 in the follow on. Maybe Topley won't be as big a miss as I feared.

Comments

• Cook playing has certainly helped. I fancy them to go up this year.
  • Good bowling conditions today for masters and Porter. Hope we get our second win. This is a good start to the season
  • Whats the situation with the plug-in pitch at the Olympic stadium lads?
  • Whats the situation with the plug-in pitch at the Olympic stadium lads?

Currently agreed in principle, but on hold
  • They look the team to beat that's for sure.
    Got runs and variety in the bowling too.

Until they meet super Kent anyway.
  • I saw them at Hove last week. Strong batting line up but poor bowling after the two opening bowlers. They could and should have won if Cook, after being dropped on one, had batted for the team rather than settle for a draw. He scored a very careful century and was probably under instructions to be at the crease by Strauss & Co. They wil miss him once the Tests start. I'd still say they are a good shout to go up.
  • How many runs would Cook have scored if he played county cricket all summer like players did in the old days? I can imagine him being like Gooch and Gatting, compiling score after score

It's not as if he needs to rest between Tests anyway, batting seems to take nothing out of him physically
  • And Essex wrap up the win with 92 runs and an innings to spare! Good batting, good bowling... I think we have the core of a competitive team
  • Early doors.
    Think we are short on the bowling front.
    Porter is relatively new and by all accounts looks up to it but i have doubts over Masters fitness and think we need better change bowlers than Tendo, Bopara, Napier and Ryder.
    The Batting line up is weird. Cook will be away so i suppose Browne, Westley and Bopara will be 1,2,3 with Porter and Masters 10 and jack. The others could be in any order as they are all capable of getting quick runs at this level but equally capable of collapsing.

will be intresting.
  • We got in two new bowlers, Dixon and Quinn. Not convinced either will replace topley, though he was injured a lot. Also, I think mickleburgh might replace cook, and I don't think he's all that.

What worries me more is the lack of a decent spinner.

But... After the shambles of the past few seasons, its nice we got off to a positive start
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

They look the team to beat that's for sure.

Until they meet super Kent Surrey anyway.

Fixed it.
  • MrOneLung said:

They look the team to beat that's for sure.

Until they meet super Kent Surrey anyway.

Fixed it.
    We'll be swapping divisions ;)

Actually, got tickets for Essex v slurry in the T20. Should be a laugh.
  • Ravi currently ripping through Derbyshire. 5-28 off 14.
    I told ya the change bowlers weren't strong enough.
  • Congratulations to Essex on winning the 2nd division title. They have played well all season and fully deserve being crowned champions.

They were relegated in 2010, so it has been a long time since they last played in the top flight.
  • Congratulations to Essex on winning the 2nd division title. They have played well all season and fully deserve being crowned champions.

They were relegated in 2010, so it has been a long time since they last played in the top flight.

Welcome to the Big boys league
    See you at the oval next season