Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did we really try to sell Joe Gomez to the German 2nd Division?

edited April 2016 in General Charlton
http://empireofthekop.com/2016/04/27/german-coach-tells-weird-joe-gomez-jamie-vardy-transfer-tug-of-war-tale/

Came across this earlier, it's also on the Sky Sports website.

Looks like we were at some point in talks with Red Bull Leipzig over selling him to them, before he decided to opt for Liverpool instead.

Comments

• Options
    It was said by RB Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick in an interview with Sport Bild.
  • Options
    !!?!?!

That would have been appalling.

That club is the MK dons of German football, and by the way they are not Red Bull, but Rasen Ball. That company only owns 49% of the club, and are not allowed to call it Red Bull. He would have been playing for one of the most hated clubs in Germany. Many of their games are marked by well organized and classy demos against their existence from other fans.

• Options
    Must have been a tough choice to make, wonder what made him opt for playing for Liverpool in the premiership...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    To be fair to RB Leipzig, they are going to be a big team in Germany, they were 'founded' just a few years ago, have a 40k+ stadium and will be in the top flight next year, having gained 3 promotions in 5/6 years
  • Options

!!?!?!

That would have been appalling.

That club is the MK dons of German football, and by the way they are not Red Bull, but Rasen Ball. That company only owns 49% of the club, and are not allowed to call it Red Bull. He would have been playing for one of the most hated clubs in Germany. Many of their games are marked by well organized and classy demos against their existence from other fans.

Wish our fans were more like the Germans.
  • Options
    So despite all her pleading that they had to sell to Liverpool and they got an excellent price, Ms Meire was actually whoring Joe Gomez out all over Europe and in the end only got a shite fee from Liverpool anyway. Is their no end to this Medusa's lies?!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

So despite all her pleading that they had to sell to Liverpool and they got an excellent price, Ms Meire was actually whoring Joe Gomez out all over Europe and in the end only got a shite fee from Liverpool anyway. Is their no end to this Medusa's lies?!

Article said it was two years before so may well have been before Roland bought the club.

Also doesn't say we were trying to sell, just that Red Bull were trying to buy
  • Options

Missed It said:

Article said it was two years before so may well have been before Roland bought the club.

For them to be going through the effort of flying back and forth from Germany for me suggests that they must have been in interaction with the club. It's a lot of effort to go through if you haven't had a bid accepted.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Missed It said:

For them to be going through the effort of flying back and forth from Germany for me suggests that they must have been in interaction with the club. It's a lot of effort to go through if you haven't had a bid accepted.
    Assumes that they trip to UK was just for Gomez and not other UK based players like Vardy who the article was interested in.

And I can believe the spivs would have sold him but that's them not KM
  • Options

Missed It said:

My mistake. She's still a lying snake though!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

My mistake. She's still a lying snake though!!
    No argument from me there
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

To be fair to RB Leipzig, they are going to be a big team in Germany, they were 'founded' just a few years ago, have a 40k+ stadium and will be in the top flight next year, having gained 3 promotions in 5/6 years

So basically the opposite of us then?
  • Options
    In that Dublin web summit thingy KM talked about seeing the future Premier League stars playing for Charlton.

If she's allegedly hawking our youngsters to lower leagues (overseas or otherwise) do you think she really meant to say Ryman Premier League stars ...?
  • Options

Missed It said:

Rasen Ball. Please. But now you mention this being a while ago, I seem to recall something on here about their interest.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Missed It said:

I've read things like this a few times, but are there any major examples of where they sold key players to try and make a quick buck?

Happy to be corrected, but I don't recall them applying those sorts of tactics to the playing squad.
  • Options
    I went to see RB Leipzig against St Pauli a few months ago, they'd (both) tonk us to be fair.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Missed It said:

I've read things like this a few times, but are there any major examples of where they sold key players to try and make a quick buck?

Happy to be corrected, but I don't recall them applying those sorts of tactics to the playing squad.
    They had a deal with Villa done for Stephens and then asked for more money at the last minute. Villa pulled out.

We also had deals done with Baldock, Quinn, Aluku (sp?) and others and pulled them at the last minute.

But you are right. They generally let the manager get on with it and didn't sack Powell either. They cut his budget but when Kevin Cash pulled his backing their only plan was to sell. They weren't interested in the football any more but they did let it tick over.

Bad as Roland is that doesn't mean the Spivs were good owners though.

Kevin Cash pulling out, and I've asked and asked but never been able to find out why, in the March of the promotion season was were it all went wrong again.
  • Options
    I had no problem with the previous owners trying for more money for Stephens. It might not have worked the way they tried but at least they gave it a shot at trying something that would have bettered us.

Compare that to the scandalous sales of Morrison and Yann - the current owners are much much more damaging IMO.

• Options
    Worth noting that, while Prague is right about the perceived legitimacy of Leipzig, Ralf Ragnick is a pretty good coach. He did some very good things with a young, diverse Hoffenheim side full of players you'd never heard of. According to wikipedia he was sporting director for the Red Bull conglomerate back then. I think it's a real credit to Gomez and his ability that he was scouted as such as a 16 year old.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Worth noting that, while Prague is right about the perceived legitimacy of Leipzig, Ralf Ragnick is a pretty good coach. He did some very good things with a young, diverse Hoffenheim side full of players you'd never heard of. According to wikipedia he was sporting director for the Red Bull conglomerate back then. I think it's a real credit to Gomez and his ability that he was scouted as such as a 16 year old.

I did not know about Ragnick; especially his previous connection to Hoffenheim. That is the other plastic club, one which has even evaded the 50+1 rule, and is owned by some software magnate. Hoffenheim is a village. Ragnick sounds like a bent lawyer who is employed by the Mafia.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

I did not know about Ragnick; especially his previous connection to Hoffenheim. That is the other plastic club, one which has even evaded the 50+1 rule, and is owned by some software magnate. Hoffenheim is a village. Ragnick sounds like a bent lawyer who is employed by the Mafia.

Haha also true. I think he took them from the third division into Europe.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Agreed, they have big aspirations to join the elite clubs in Germany.

Hardly comparable to MK Dons either, they pulled in some crowds of over 40k towards their end of their promotion year in the 3rd tier.

If Red bull continue to back them, they'll probably gatecrash the top 4 within 2 seasons.