Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beat the Bookie Competition discussion thread

Much to my surprise I've done reasonably well. So may start doing this for real.

Is there a best bookie to use for this sort of thing ?

Comments

• Much to my surprise I've done reasonably well. So may start doing this for real.

Think Bet365 and Paddy Power are the best two for offers. All the online bookies have introductory free bet offers - about 3 years ago I spent a season moving from one bookie to another taking advantage of the free bets and then moving on to the next account. Settled on Bet365 when I ran out of new accounts to open.
  • I think it has emphasized seeing just how difficult football betting is. Every week, only a small percentage are successful and that's when only betting on singles, doubles and trebles.

The accy market must be an absolute carve up for the bookies
  • shows also how frustrating it can be for the last 7 weeks ive been 1 result away, it just shows how much bookies must make on football betting.
  • I think it has emphasized seeing just how difficult football betting is. Every week, only a small percentage are successful and that's when only betting on singles, doubles and trebles.

You may say that Mr AFKA, but I'm £258 up and you are £241 up.

Absolutely. Not easy at all. Ladbrokes (as im sure most people will know) do money back as a bet if one team lets you down - I've started using them as I have lost count the amount of times that's happened to me.....usually the team I consider to be a banker.

Absolutely. Not easy at all. Ladbrokes (as im sure most people will know) do money back as a bet if one team lets you down - I've started using them as I have lost count the amount of times that's happened to me.....usually the team I consider to be a banker.
    Do they do money back for a treble ?

Too late now anyway. I've just done my 3 on Bet365.
  • Much to my surprise I've done reasonably well. So may start doing this for real.

Oddschecker is a good tool to use, they'll compare the best odds for you.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/
  • I used to chase the big the payouts by doing 8-10 fold accys. Now I just do 4/5 fold but with a slightly higher stake and lower payout and I'm in the positives this season.

Even at ascot yesterday I couldn't believe blokes were betting 400-500 quid on a horse like it was nothing and there was me devastated when my £5ew didn't come in. Different world.

Oddschecker is a good tool to use, they'll compare the best odds for you.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/
    Yes, I use oddschecker, but I only bet occasionally & only do singles.

Do they do money back for a treble ?

Too late now anyway. I've just done my 3 on Bet365.
    It's a 5+ team acca that the offer is for. Up to a max of £25. They do a special coupon for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's been great, and for a poor person like myself, has made me consider doing it for real (as I'm about £600 up this year on our competition). Problem is, one year you can do great, and the next get nothing (much like picking fantasy football team...). For that reason, I'll keep my pennies for more important things...after all, betting is a mugs game!

But is that including stake? Have we not forked out 340 and are really on -82 and -99?

But is that including stake? Have we not forked out 340 and are really on -82 and -99?
    Don't think so.
  • I just hope I can stay in the black.

Had a terrible start but picked up a bit and finally have got into the positive albeit by not much compared to some!

Thanks for organising PBS it's been enjoyable.
  • ChiAddick said:

I used to chase the big the payouts by doing 8-10 fold accys. Now I just do 4/5 fold but with a slightly higher stake and lower payout and I'm in the positives this season.

Even at ascot yesterday I couldn't believe blokes were betting 400-500 quid on a horse like it was nothing and there was me devastated when my £5ew didn't come in. Different world.

Saw a couple of £1k cash bets put on yesterday - both of which lost. Didn't surprise me much at Ascot, but have seen similar on a cold December afternoon at Wetherby from a bloke who was driving a 20 year old Focus.

Sheer madness.

• Seconded.

Now if you could just include a graph showing how much each club earns or loses us, a list of the highest possible wins we could have had each week and the lowest paying banker treble that would be great.....
  • edited April 2016
    every week i do my treble on this for real and put a 5er on it and do my super 6 results in a lucky 63 5p per line.

again think its been a great addition and probably the highlight of the season, in which has been a dire one for the club,

maybe next season we could do a last man standing comp we do them at work and there quite fun, wouldnt mind organising myself maybe do a split with the upbeats or card fund? 50/50, depending on how many takers we had would depend on the play amount.
  • Top work all season Paul, i can only speak for myself but it's been a top competition mate
  • Sponsored links:

• This year it's been more like beat the other lifers rather than beat the bookie.
    The balances are slightly misleading as winners keep their tenner stake and as AFKA says it won't show that it's come out of your pocket but a losing bet would.
    ie if someone done a single on a home banker each week at odds of 1.4 then it is gonna show as +£14 when in reality it's only +£4.
    I made the -£10 if you don't take part rule because I had to think of a way of stopping someone coming in halfway through on a zero balance above the majority of those that took part every week.
    I have the details of how many weeks people have taken part so at the end of the competition I'll show one table as I've been reporting it all season and another as though the tenner stake on each bet placed has actually come from the punters pocket.
    It was never going to be flawless as it was pretty much only thought of a day before the season kicked off.
    Will be asking for feedback on whether to continue next season and what format it should take.

definitely keep it going, I really enjoy it - always put some wacky ones in there to be fair.

have done pretty well this season on real bets, PP account is up (just)
  • I used to work Saturdays at Ladbrokes. This chap would try and predict ALL of the games, whether it would be home, away or draw. It was only a pound but I just wanted to tell him that even if he did a third of those he would probably exceed max payout. If caught doing that it would be a massive bollocking for me. Cannot be seen trying to help a punter.
    I cannot remember the last time i predicted six let alone the above.
  • pettgra said:

I used to work Saturdays at Ladbrokes. This chap would try and predict ALL of the games, whether it would be home, away or draw. It was only a pound but I just wanted to tell him that even if he did a third of those he would probably exceed max payout. If caught doing that it would be a massive bollocking for me. Cannot be seen trying to help a punter.

Yeah, whatever Graham.

• 1905 said:

pettgra said:

I used to work Saturdays at Ladbrokes. This chap would try and predict ALL of the games, whether it would be home, away or draw. It was only a pound but I just wanted to tell him that even if he did a third of those he would probably exceed max payout. If caught doing that it would be a massive bollocking for me. Cannot be seen trying to help a punter.

Yeah, whatever Graham.

I would be quids in if you shared your tips Dave. Selfish behaviour.
  • I only came in during the season but have enjoyed doing it, thanks for all the hard work Paul
  • Well done PBS really enjoying it! I used to do a similar comp on 606 years ago but you were able to bet as much of your balance as you wished, would assume that would make it a full time job though!