Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SLP: "Duchatelet not going anywhere and Charlton 'already behind' in preparation for next season."

edited April 2016 in General Charlton
From the always excellent Richard Cawley:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=117525&headline=Charlton fans survey wants Roland Duchatelet to go - but owner not intending to walk away&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

Good article, a couple of comments from me:

1) I can only hope Cawley is wrong on the club being for sale. He's well connected and I hope his sources from inside the club are the ones saying this (and toeing the party line) instead of this coming from those attached to the bidding vehicles (I know this is naive). Given the way this regime goes, I suspect they will say the club isn't for sale as they clear out their desks and cash the check.

2) Comparing our preparation for League One this time around versus 2011 is somewhat unfair. In 2011 we finished 13th and from what I remember, didn't particularly look like getting promoted. As such, it gave Powell et al time to prepare for the next season. This year, while we've obviously been in a bad position for some time, relegation wasn't necessarily nailed on until March (and not formal until April). That's not to say contingency planning shouldn't be in place (sure would be helpful if we had a Director of Football for such matters), but planning for League One isn't as simple as it was in the build-up to our promotion season.

Comments

• The quotes from that article seem to have been just lifted straight from the fans forum minutes- literally word for word
  • The thought of those &%#! still being at the club at the start of next season is depressing and enraging in equal measure.....

Like you, SD, I just hope that this is a case of 'the party line' rather than reality....but if this was the case, wouldn't we be hearing whispers related to the interested parties?

• Like you, SD, I just hope that this is a case of 'the party line' rather than reality....but if this was the case, wouldn't we be hearing whispers related to the interested parties?

Certainly at some point. In my idealist/naive/delusional (delete as appropriate) mind right now the "not for sale" position is being re-considered internally (which means in Roland's head). According to some pretty credible people on here, he met with Elliot when he was in town last week, so I'm hoping Cawley has that wrong. Given that selling will be admitting some sort of defeat or failure (whether explicitly stated or not), I suspect it will take a while for his position on selling to shift. But again, I hope, righly or wrongly, that selling is now at least a consideration, and if deals do gain momentun then yes I suspect we'll hear about it.

@sammy391 Moreso from the Trust's press release. It would have been nice if it was credited/linked to.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2016
    So the head coach Riga is leaving, there is no head scout, no head of football, half the squad leaving, no targets identified, no head of communications, no head of security.

The disorganisation, lack of planning or infact any coherent plan that Duchatelet or Meire showing evidence of lack of competence and ability to run a successful football team. Already they are showing that they think that League One is going to be an easy thing to manage by the lack of action. Duchatelet really should have started with a Vanarama Conference football team to test out his mad strategy and learn how to build a football team first.

Duchatelet and Meire appear totally clueless about the things they should be doing.

Duchatelet has an arrogant belief that he will succeed just because he has managed to make a few Euros in the semi conductor business. This is contrary to the evidence of the lack of success in virtually every other non electronics business he has put his hand to.

My guess why Duchatelet is hanging about as he wants to release some value of the players that remain at the club to claw some money back. He will then sell after he has released some money from Lookman, Gudmundsson, Cousins and anyone else he can get any money for. It is what Duchatelet did at Standard Liege in selling off what players he could. Duchatelet might release the club after he has squeezed what money he can for himself & exit before the start of next season.

The next season is going to be another challenging and difficult season for Charlton supporters. If Duchatelet is not the owner, it may be bearable if grown ups are making decisions at the club again.
  • I know there's a lot of people against it, but maybe the only way to remove a rubbish owner is to do something similar to what Liege fans did, let's face it balloons probably don't scare him..
  • vff said:

My guess why Duchatelet is hanging about as he wants to release some value of the players that remain at the club to claw some money back. He will then sell after he has released some money from Lookman, Gudmundsson, Cousins and anyone else he can get any money for. It is what Duchatelet did at Standard Liege in selling off what players he could. Duchatelet might release the club after he has squeezed what money he can for himself that before the start of next season.

IF RD had any business sense he would realise that anyone buying the club would be likely to realise more from selling off players than the present regime could (if only because they might have someone with some competence in that role and because they wouldn't necessarily be making a fire sale) - and that in overall terms this would have a beneficial impact on the sales price.
  • And with a lot of the players on long term contracts perhaps some could be persuaded to stay and help with getting promoted under a new management team whereas under the existing team everyone but Jackson will want out.
  • It's ok Meire is doing all the important things, like flip flopping on covering up the first 6 rows of seats in the North Lower...

Promotion here we come!
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

From the always excellent Richard Cawley:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=117525&headline=Charlton fans survey wants Roland Duchatelet to go - but owner not intending to walk away&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

Good article, a couple of comments from me:

1) I can only hope Cawley is wrong on the club being for sale. He's well connected and I hope his sources from inside the club are the ones saying this (and toeing the party line) instead of this coming from those attached to the bidding vehicles (I know this is naive). Given the way this regime goes, I suspect they will say the club isn't for sale as they clear out their desks and cash the check.

2) Comparing our preparation for League One this time around versus 2011 is somewhat unfair. In 2011 we finished 13th and from what I remember, didn't particularly look like getting promoted.

Yes very unfair seeing as 2009/2010 was our first season in l1 and we missed out through the play offs.
  • vff said:

So the head coach Riga is leaving, there is no head scout, no head of football, half the squad leaving, no targets identified, no head of communications, no head of security.

The disorganisation, lack of planning or infact any coherent plan that Duchatelet or Meire showing evidence of lack of competence and ability to run a successful football team. Already they are showing that they think that League One is going to be an easy thing to manage by the lack of action. Duchatelet really should have started with a Vanarama Conference football team to test out his mad strategy and learn how to build a football team first.

Duchatelet and Meire appear totally clueless about the things they should be doing.

Duchatelet has an arrogant belief that he will succeed just because he has managed to make a few Euros in the semi conductor business. This is contrary to the evidence of the lack of success in virtually every other non electronics business he has put his hand to.

My guess why Duchatelet is hanging about as he wants to release some value of the players that remain at the club to claw some money back. He will then sell after he has released some money from Lookman, Gudmundsson, Cousins and anyone else he can get any money for. It is what Duchatelet did at Standard Liege in selling off what players he could. Duchatelet might release the club after he has squeezed what money he can for himself that before the start of next season.

The next season is going to be another challenging and difficult season for Charlton supporters. If Duchatelet is not the owner, it may be bearable if grown ups making decisions at the club again.

Thankfully I think vff's opinion is right and that this will be the case, as it was with Standard, and the lack of planning for next season reinforces this scenario. We can get back from this with even a half decent owner that wants success.
  • vff said:

The next season is going to be another challenging and difficult season for Charlton supporters. If Duchatelet is not the owner, it may be bearable if grown ups making decisions at the club again.

Thankfully I think vff's opinion is right and that this will be the case, as it was with Standard, and the lack of planning for next season reinforces this scenario. We can get back from this with even a half decent owner that wants success.
    Agreed, even in my most naive or delusional I still think Roland will sell everything not tied down and pocket the money before leaving.