Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Rio Olympics 2016 thread

So, now less than 100 days to the Olympics so thought I would start a self proclaimed 'official' thread.

Is this the main event of the summer or does it play second fiddle for you to the Euros?

Has the Olympic vibe from 2012 gone or are you itching to press the red button and watch sports that you never usually bother with.

Is golf being in there a travesty or deserving of its place as one of the most popular games worldwide?

Any rising stars you will be watching out for?

Can Team GB (and NI) do half as well as four years ago?

Will there be a tickets thread this time.....

As ever, over to you the CL Public

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to the Beach Volleyball in female flavour
  • Options

Looking forward to the Beach Volleyball in female flavour

Gotta hope for a glimpse of snatch...
  • Options
    It must be second fiddle to The Euros as I didn't even know it was on/due.
  • Options
    Always look forward to the Olympics and seeing some events on the TV that you dont usually get to see.

Think I prefer the Winter to the Summer games if I had to choose though as there is a bit more randomness and excitement to it
  • Options
    The Olympics are just another junket for corruption and drug cheating now.
    It could have re booted itself as a wonderful celebration of sport several times in the last few decades but always chases the money.
    I never thought it possible to say but Avery Brundage's era seems like a golden age now.
  • Options
    Honestly forgot it was on soon.

Not a huge cycling fan but love the indoor stuff.
  • Options
    Local athlete.
    Hope she does well.

• Options
    Oh wow I completely forgot about this.

I hope that the gymnastics or fencing aren't disrupted by terrorism/zika/people thinking they booked tickets to something exciting.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Just finished our bit of supporting the Kitting out event for the GB Olympics team

nearly here now the ones I have met seem so more relaxed this time round

GO TEAM GB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not remotely interested. Used to like the athletics until I realised how compmetely corrupt it is. And just can't get interested in the rest. Sorry.
  • Options

Not remotely interested. Used to like the athletics until I realised how compmetely corrupt it is. And just can't get interested in the rest. Sorry.

That's ok mate, don't worry, apology accepted.

I cant wait to be honest.
  • Options
    Used to love the Games, especially after our attendance at every day's track & field in '84.

Stayed up all night during the Seoul games & hated missing anything live.

Gradually my interest waned a tad but always looked forward to the athletics.

2012 was pretty awesome and for me, Rio will struggle to compete but still looking forward to it.

Adam Gemili in particular will be on my "must watch" list as he hails rom my home town, Dartford & lives a few doors from our former house ( Silly Billy & Mr One Lung will know it well) as well as Mo & Jo Pavey.
  • Options
    I loved 2012, and got into all sorts of random sports for 2 weeks!

Hopefully the people of Rio get into all the events as well, as there won't be as many foreign visitors or residents as with London 2012
  • Options
    Completely meh for it to be honest, keep forgetting it's happening. Much more excited for the start of the new football season, and then the NFL season
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    400 billion mosquitoes are well up for this... plus a few hundred chemists!
  • Options
    Luckily I have quite a few Brazilian connections so I'm headed out to Brazil for 3 weeks and far too many sessions (both of the athletic and drinking variety). What's not to like with watching amazing sport whilst drinking in sunshine? Can't wait!

Sadly I fear it'll be the last olympics for Team GB in its current form given the talk of Scottish independence but at least we have loads of medal chances this time round

I know ChicagoAddick is headed out there, are there any more addicks going?
  • Options
    Might not be the actual Olympics but huge well done to Billy Birchmore at the Downs Syndrome version

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-community-trust-trisom-games-3211006.aspx
  • Options
    10 medals, good work Billy
  • Options
    I will be there from the 9th to 19th. We have tickets for 7 different events.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame these events dont get bigger recognition.

You get loads of people moaning every four years that Paralympians dont get the spotlight they deserve yet what about these lads?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sky Atlantic tomorrow night , 9pm.

Programme called "The Fall- Decker versus Budd " might be worth a watch.

We were in the Coliseum when this happened ...the yanks went mental !!!!

The majority knew zilch about "track & field " and stated they'd merely asked for Mary Decker tickets when they wen on sale !
  • Options
    Besides the obvious 100m etc the multi event athletics are the standouts for me.
    Can honestly see a 1, 2 double for GB in the heptathlon.
    KJT & Jessica Ennis gold and silver
  • Options
    US Women's National Team have just landed in Brazil. Always love the women's football at the World Cup. Because it's just more football. I find the rest of athletics depressing.
  • Options
    I note the American basketball team are not bothering with the Olympic village, but will instead check onto a luxury 9 deck, £10,000 a week (per suite), cruise liner called The Silver Cloud. I do so hope they lose in the final - the headlines would write themselves.
  • Options
    its a shame that British tv haven't picked up on the "Stars 2016" Moscow Mini Olympics which is held today. the event including all Russian athletes those that are banned, or could be banned or whatever the verdict is will be competing. so expect a fair few wired Russians breaking records. 100mm dash done in 2.2 seconds, javelins thrown to the outskirts of St Petersburg and judo fights in fast forward.
  • Options
    Water based sports are a worry, when we are particularly strong and clean water is an issue. Rowing, sailing etc. We could do 123 in triathalon but for swim. I look forward to Rugby sevens and hope small countries excel.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    With Russia pretty much gone this time round we should definitely get third in the Medal table

A huge achievement for a country our size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_medal_table#Medal_table
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_medal_table#Medal_table
  • Options

I note the American basketball team are not bothering with the Olympic village, but will instead check onto a luxury 9 deck, £10,000 a week (per suite), cruise liner called The Silver Cloud. I do so hope they lose in the final - the headlines would write themselves.

Many of the big international stars of sports like tennis have said how much they enjoyed the village, bumping into al the other sportsmen, I wonder if they'll look back and regret this decision...