Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth fined £7.6m for Financial Fair Play rule breach

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

The number show the losses clubs are prepared to go accept to get promotion
The Football League did not confirm the size of the penalty, but details of the fine - which has not yet been paid - were disclosed in the club's accounts, which show they made a £38.3m loss in winning the Championship in 2014-15.

That was up from £10.3m the previous season, mainly because of staff wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club's turnover of £12.9m.
Not in any way agreeing with RD, but it does show what we're competing against, and how Yann's better contract was afforded (or rather how it wasn't)

Comments

• Options

Shows exactly what we're up against...

Every other side knows that if they gamble they'll get promotion and they'll be slapped with a pathetic fine, FFP needs to be reviewed at the end of each season rather than at the end of the next!!

If a team have gone over, sod the fine give them a hefty points deduction!!

The flip side of the gamble, for clubs like Bournemouth isn't a fine, it's bankruptcy when the owner gets fed up or runs out of cash.

Turnover of 12.9m, wages of 30.4m, how the hell they can have paid their team so much last season? They're not a relegated PL club like QPR or Fulham, with players on high existing contracts, so to pay nearly 3 times what we pay is crazy.
  • Options

Football as the sport I grew up with and loved is completely screwed. I'm not even certain I can be bothered with it any more.

I totally agree. I hate the fact that Duchatelet has destroyed our club with his methods, and I also hate the obscene amounts of money that gets spent on players wages, particularly in the Premiership
  • Options

Football as the sport I grew up with and loved is completely screwed. I'm not even certain I can be bothered with it any more.

This
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36188531

Burnley show how it can be done with sensible budgeting
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Didn't QPR get a huge fine and now they don't have to pay it? Are Bournemouth actually going to have to pay this?
  • Options
    I guess we won't find out how much of the player wage spend related to promotion bonuses. That would seem a fairly sustainable way in which a club exceeds FFP limits without putting itself at risk.

Not that I think the bonuses would be close to 1.5 times salary.

Bournemouth are another club who've taken the administration route to success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36188531

Burnley show how it can be done with sensible budgeting

Burnley really remind me of Charlton when we were relegated in 98/99.

Fair enough we didnt go out and buy a Striker for £6m or whatever Andre Gray cost but they kept the same squad / manager together (bar a handful of players) and look at what has happened
    Burnley got a similar sum back for Ings.

Burnley also sold a RB on relegation (Tripper vs Mills)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    sam3110 said:

Ridiculous.

How can any team spend 2.5x their overall turnover, and get a measly fine as punishment, where the reward is £100m in TV, prize and sponsorship money, its just farcical.

There should be points deductions or squad restrictions at the very least

Well, you say that, but why shouldn't they take the risk if they can afford it?

By comparison, by January 2009, Tesla had spent US$187 million and had delivered a grand total of 147 cars. They are now targeting sales of 90,000 for 2016. But the bloke who started the business thinks it could still fail. It's a story that is repeated time and time again in any normal business. "He who dares wins, Rodney."

Why do us fans think we should be insulated from the real world and the risk of bankruptcy?

A Team has a chance of success if its owners have a decent plan, competent staff and are prepared to provide funding which is properly spent.

Frankly, I'd rather shoot for the moon. You might miss but It's got to be a far better ride than pootling around aimlessly while expending no effort and displaying no commitment. After all, what are we doing here? Trying to win football matches or not? As things stand we might as well pack up and say sod it, nothing here is worth watching, worth dreaming about or worth caring about. Saving a few cents by making your duct-taped shoes last a few more days is just such a pointless existence. How can anyone be proud of that sort of behaviour?
  • Options
    Spot on @Rob62
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

I totally agree with Duchatelet that spending like that is crazy, and with Katrien that the watering down of the FFP regulations is a disaster.

But it's not because of teams spending like crazy that we've been relegated. There's plenty of teams above us who have spend a lot less than we have this year and are sitting comfortably. We are going down because of how badly that money has been spent. The ridiculous thing is that if Duchatelet had entrusted the management and scouting team we had in place when he arrived with the budget we've had this year, I think we'd have a good chance to be pushing for promotion. Instead, he wanted to prove his team knew more than anyone else, and found out the hard way that they most certainly did not. I say found out the hard way, but in reality I don't think the lesson has been learnt. There is still no head scout (no doubt salary and autonomy still big problems for any potential candidate), and yet the squad needs a total revamp. If we're identifying players, who is doing it? Our friends in Belgium? Jackson?

I hope that those inside the club are taking a long hard look at Wigan's approach to relegation that has seen them return to the Championship at the first attempt. They hired a young British manager who knew the club and the league. They bought a whole new team of young talent, all from British clubs, with most arriving in early July. It's a tried and tested model, because it's exactly what we did with Powell. Does anyone honestly think that we'll be doing the same this time around?

Post of the year so far, take a bow sir.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

sam3110 said:

Ridiculous.

How can any team spend 2.5x their overall turnover, and get a measly fine as punishment, where the reward is £100m in TV, prize and sponsorship money, its just farcical.

There should be points deductions or squad restrictions at the very least

Well, you say that, but why shouldn't they take the risk if they can afford it?

By comparison, by January 2009, Tesla had spent US$187 million and had delivered a grand total of 147 cars. They are now targeting sales of 90,000 for 2016. But the bloke who started the business thinks it could still fail. It's a story that is repeated time and time again in any normal business. "He who dares wins, Rodney."

Why do us fans think we should be insulated from the real world and the risk of bankruptcy?

A Team has a chance of success if its owners have a decent plan, competent staff and are prepared to provide funding which is properly spent.

Frankly, I'd rather shoot for the moon. You might miss but It's got to be a far better ride than pootling around aimlessly while expending no effort and displaying no commitment. After all, what are we doing here? Trying to win football matches or not? As things stand we might as well pack up and say sod it, nothing here is worth watching, worth dreaming about or worth caring about. Saving a few cents by making your duct-taped shoes last a few more days is just such a pointless existence. How can anyone be proud of that sort of behaviour?
    If Tesla goes bust, then well it's a shame. but no more

If a football club goes bust, it has far more of an affect on the wider world, the town, the supporters etc. Mark Hulyer reached for the stars, and the club nearly went out of existence.

And football clubs compete in a league. If the only clubs that can do well are those which pay spend too much, then everyone else is forced to also spend too much, driving up transfer fees and wages. As only 3 teams can go up, what happens to the other 21 clubs which don't go up?

• Options
    I stand to be corrected but I don't believe that a FL fine is enforceable whilst a team in in the Premier League (like QPR) - so B'mouth can carry on getting millions & millions and pay off any fine when relegated

Only way to get promoted into the PL unless you have just been relegated.
  • Options

Every other side knows that if they gamble they'll get promotion and they'll be slapped with a pathetic fine, FFP needs to be reviewed at the end of each season rather than at the end of the next!!

I know one of the lads who was on the original team that pulled together the FFP rules. Points deduction was what they wanted and what was recommended. I believe that this was then voted out as the Premier League and the big Championship clubs refused and the PL threatened to withdraw the monies they kindly distribute to the FL. When the plan was then to distribute the fines amongst the clubs in the division who played by the rules, the PL also vetoed this.
  • Options
    Another Russian owner with an interesting background buys his way into the Premiership - The FA's fit and proper test is meant to apply all the time just for the 5 minutes when the takeover is approved.

The penalty for the team involved should be to place them in a worse position than they were before the offence was committed - as is usually the case with most offences and ethical judgement systems. If the world was fair both Bournemouth and QPR would now be in League 1 - but I daresay the FA/FL will try and take it out on Charlton fans if we are naughty boys and girls on Saturday for complaining about an owner and directors who are neither fit or proper.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I know one of the lads who was on the original team that pulled together the FFP rules. Points deduction was what they wanted and what was recommended. I believe that this was then voted out as the Premier League and the big Championship clubs refused and the PL threatened to withdraw the monies they kindly distribute to the FL. When the plan was then to distribute the fines amongst the clubs in the division who played by the rules, the PL also vetoed this.
    All this demonstrates why the FA/FL should be nationalised so that it can be transferred to people who have the true interests of the game at heart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

staff wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club's turnover of £12.9m.

Blimey, Kermo didn't come cheap, did he?

• Options
    You could argue that Bournemouth had been very shrewd and if promoted knew this would happen but choose the ignore it. Many people have quoted the club as being well run and in reality, their spending highlights the FFP rules as being a waste of time. Another example of the football league being a joke and needs a complete revamp.
  • Options
    Do you know how much debt the owners of QPR have converted to equity in recent years (according to Swiss Ramble)...?

£246 million

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/queens-park-rangers-they-cant-buy.html

Les Ferdinand: “For a few years, agents have been used to dealing with executives at this club, but they’re now dealing with someone who knows a little bit about football.” Not that there is any relevance to CAFc in that quote.

• Options
    Football is rotten.

Money flying around like never before, with the previous failings of clubs not being learnt.

Every year a team doesn't get promoted the door to the premiership closes that little bit more.
  • Options

Do you know how much debt the owners of QPR have converted to equity in recent years (according to Swiss Ramble)...?

£246 million

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/queens-park-rangers-they-cant-buy.html

Les Ferdinand: “For a few years, agents have been used to dealing with executives at this club, but they’re now dealing with someone who knows a little bit about football.” Not that there is any relevance to CAFc in that quote.

That's a great article. £200m blown, with NOTHING to show for it, and still stuck in the worst ground out of any of the major London clubs.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Rob62 said:

I totally agree with Duchatelet that spending like that is crazy, and with Katrien that the watering down of the FFP regulations is a disaster.

But it's not because of teams spending like crazy that we've been relegated. There's plenty of teams above us who have spend a lot less than we have this year and are sitting comfortably. We are going down because of how badly that money has been spent. The ridiculous thing is that if Duchatelet had entrusted the management and scouting team we had in place when he arrived with the budget we've had this year, I think we'd have a good chance to be pushing for promotion. Instead, he wanted to prove his team knew more than anyone else, and found out the hard way that they most certainly did not. I say found out the hard way, but in reality I don't think the lesson has been learnt. There is still no head scout (no doubt salary and autonomy still big problems for any potential candidate), and yet the squad needs a total revamp. If we're identifying players, who is doing it? Our friends in Belgium? Jackson?

I hope that those inside the club are taking a long hard look at Wigan's approach to relegation that has seen them return to the Championship at the first attempt. They hired a young British manager who knew the club and the league. They bought a whole new team of young talent, all from British clubs, with most arriving in early July. It's a tried and tested model, because it's exactly what we did with Powell. Does anyone honestly think that we'll be doing the same this time around?

This, this and this some more. I don't think we will btw -Sadly there is absolutely no evidence to suggest so !
  • Options

Which is why Leicester's title win has given me hope and renewed my interest in the prem at least!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ct_addick said:

Which is why Leicester's title win has given me hope and renewed my interest in the prem at least!

I do celebrate Leicesters win but even they went into admin and knocked a load of local businesses before moving into the King Power that very same season.

Football is morally bankrupt and has been for years. What's more. It gets worse every season.

I wish I could bail out TBH but I'm too long in the tooth and been hooked since 1961.

My real hope is that it all comes crashing down and the Premier League disappears up its own arsehole. Then the reset button could be pressed. I realise that it won't.

• Options
    I remember one or two on here refuting the suggestion that they had spent a fuckload more than the rules permit - merely citing transfer fees as evidence. Turns out they were very, very wrong.