Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Redundancy - Quick bit of advice/info needed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    But must start in September
  • Options

The payout is a fair lump to us,, the catch 22 is the job she has interview for is uncanny, same days, same times, same money, lesser responsibility, and most importantly a 3 min walk from our house

Shes a "keeper" then :wink:
  • Options
    Addickted said:

bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

Talking of redundancy, my wife's firm have gone into receivership this week - has anyone used the Governments Redundancy Scheme for firms in receivership and do they have any advice?

The insolvency practitioner should send your wife the forms to complete. Money is taken from the National Insurance Fund and covers statutory redundancy, statutory notice, untaken accrued holiday (up to six weeks). Any payments are capped at £475 per week. It's a straightforward process.

If your wife doesn't hear from the insolvency practitioner within say a couple of weeks then get her to contact Companies House - they will be able to confirm who it is (it may well be the Official Receiver).
    Thanks Bob - that seems fairly straightforward, though we haven't heard from the insolvency practice yet. The website shows a wait of between 3-8 weeks to get the money fro the Redundancy scheme.

Is there also compensation for lack of consultation? She just turned up last week to be told they'd gone into administration.

She's already had one interview yesterday, which is looking good.

Compensation for up to 8 weeks pay if failure to consult - but there would need to be 20 or more staff involved in the 'redundancy' as if less there is no statutory consultation process.
  • Options
    Not sure how I missed your post Charltonparklane....... but my wife is in the same situation, albeit Bexley council and been in the same school, now an Academy for 16 years. Went part-time 2 years ago. She is however taking voluntary redundancy, and is a union member. She is part of the post 60 that has had the state retirement age increased to 65, then 66 and a bit.
    Although she is paid by Bexley council, the 'school' is now an Academy, and part of a 'trust'.
    Part of her decision to leave is that the staff turnover and leadership teams are constantly changing, ( she has had 5 headteachers in the last 10 years) 3 changes of school status. She never expected high pay, and enjoys her job, or did....... helping pupils with special need's.

Good luck to your wife.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

bobmunro said:

Addickted said:

Talking of redundancy, my wife's firm have gone into receivership this week - has anyone used the Governments Redundancy Scheme for firms in receivership and do they have any advice?

The insolvency practitioner should send your wife the forms to complete. Money is taken from the National Insurance Fund and covers statutory redundancy, statutory notice, untaken accrued holiday (up to six weeks). Any payments are capped at £475 per week. It's a straightforward process.

If your wife doesn't hear from the insolvency practitioner within say a couple of weeks then get her to contact Companies House - they will be able to confirm who it is (it may well be the Official Receiver).
    Thanks Bob - that seems fairly straightforward, though we haven't heard from the insolvency practice yet. The website shows a wait of between 3-8 weeks to get the money fro the Redundancy scheme.

Is there also compensation for lack of consultation? She just turned up last week to be told they'd gone into administration.

She's already had one interview yesterday, which is looking good.

Compensation for up to 8 weeks pay if failure to consult - but there would need to be 20 or more staff involved in the 'redundancy' as if less there is no statutory consultation process.
    MyLocal - just under 20 at her store, but over 1,200 nationwide.

Shouldn't laugh but the news was broken to them by the new store manager, who had started is new roll............ ten minutes earlier.

That's a quicker turnover than Charlton Managers.

• Options
    I have no advice but this all seems incredibly harsh! My old employer when shedding staff, gave them 3 months paid notice as "gardening leave" on top of the redundancy package but also, if they wished, provided an office with phones and computers for them to use free of charge to seek out a new job.

Why wouldn't the wretched council want the best for its ex-employees - that is a new job unhindered by petty and pointless restrictions?

What does her union say? (Can anyone imagine this going down at TfL?)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I have no advice but this all seems incredibly harsh! My old employer when shedding staff, gave them 3 months paid notice as "gardening leave" on top of the redundancy package but also, if they wished, provided an office with phones and computers for them to use free of charge to seek out a new job.

Why wouldn't the wretched council want the best for its ex-employees - that is a new job unhindered by petty and pointless restrictions?

What does her union say? (Can anyone imagine this going down at TfL?)

I think there's something to be said for working in the Private Sector though. My experiences in the workplace have been spot on compared to friends in the Police and Education.

The school my missus works in has a lot of issues, but the LEA seems to turn a blind eye to employee retainment, illness records and so on. Things that in most companies would require an urgent review of management.

In fact some staff have gone as far as to claim that they're concerned that if they contacted the LEA that it would make them unemployable in the borough. Quite a surprise as the NUT always struck me as quite a militant union who you'd feel quite safe under, but you still need the initial aggro for the union to get involved I guess.
  • Options
    Hello again Cpl, I responded to your original query. I haven't had time to read all today's comments in detail, but I did see reference to your wife having one month's notice. This isn't correct. Although her contractual notice might be one month, her statutory notice (which 'trumps' contractual' notice if greater) would be 12 weeks, as she has 12 years' service with her employer. I realise not the principal reason for your post so not sure if this helps. Disregard this if it doesn't!
  • Options

Hello again Cpl, I responded to your original query. I haven't had time to read all today's comments in detail, but I did see reference to your wife having one month's notice. This isn't correct. Although her contractual notice might be one month, her statutory notice (which 'trumps' contractual' notice if greater) would be 12 weeks, as she has 12 years' service with her employer. I realise not the principal reason for your post so not sure if this helps. Disregard this if it doesn't!

Agreed - I made that reference based on the 4 week gap between redundancy and when she could start another job. But that was before I knew she had 12 years service.
  • Options
    PM sent Bob and Valleygirl.

Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The payout is a fair lump to us,, the catch 22 is the job she has interview for is uncanny, same days, same times, same money, lesser responsibility, and most importantly a 3 min walk from our house

Shes a "keeper" then :wink:
    How tall is she? she will be available for home matches, a bit more than a 3 min walk to sparrows lane.
  • Options
    Hi Cpl, sorry I haven't responded as have been very busy at work. I haven't been able to read your emails in detail so apologise for once again, just picking up on one point, rather than addressing all the issues you've raised. However, I thought it might be helpful to point out that it's my understanding that unless 'garden leave' (and it's treatment) is explicitly stated in your wife's contract, an employer cannot enforce 'garden leave'. Garden Leave is distinct from the 'notice period' in terms of whether or not your wife is required to work her notice period. If your wife is a union member, I'd recommend she makes full use of her union rep who should be able to advise her.
  • Options
    Two angles here -

The last day you actually work is not necessarily the last day you are legally employed - this would need clarification. Although (if is being said) she is legally on 12 weeks' notice, she ought to be paid for those 12 weeks. Employers can offer pay in lieu of notice, but not sure they legally have to.

I don't think there's a specific legal right to leave a job early and still take the redundancy pay. There are some jobs where an employer would need people until 'closing down' day.

I did have a job a few years back (I was temp - too many people had already left - so I was not eligible for redundancy pay) where the place was closing down, and staff were going to be redundant, but the deal was that after X date (think it was about a month before the place closed) they could leave and still keep redundancy pay. This may have been something this employer offered / had negotiated locally rather than any sort of legal requirement.

There is some newish law - "public sector exit payment regulations 2016" - although I am not able to find anything definite as to whether they have come in to effect yet (I guess the government now has other things on its plate) which may have some impact here.

I'd agree with others and suggest talking to local union rep / officer.