Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Clive Mendonca Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

The biggest injustice in "naming a day after one player", since 1981.

Eight-for-forty three. Eight wickets. Bowling flat out. Elbows pumping, hair flying everywhere. Blitzing, demolishing and terrifying the Australian batsmen. Dragging his team from almost-certain defeat, to a head-spinning, awesome victory. And yet, they still call it "Botham's Test".

And then, in 1998 at Wembley. 104 minutes. The bone-crunching, feet-first, flying tackle that won the ball, which span to Kinsella, who fed Steve Jones...

Mendonca was brilliant. The perfect match. A hat-trick and a penalty in the shoot-out. His first was a great flick from Bright. His second was a long ball from Keith Jones. And his hat-trick was an illustration of balletic perfection, controlling Steve Jones' centre and volleying in, in one beautiful arc. Mendonca did his job, brilliantly.

But the hat-trick goal, Charlton's third equaliser of the match, the score that sent the match to penalties, was made by one perfect, old-fashioned, no-nonsense, proper, crunching tackle by an understated, down-to-earth Charlton hero. That tackle broke Sunderland that day. And for me, that tackle won the match for Charlton.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish my fellow Addicks that were there and those that missed it a very, very happy Steve Brown Day.

You could say it started in 53 with the cup final called the Matthews final despite Stan Mortenson scoring a hat trick
  • Options
    Browndog ‏@S66Brown 1m1 minute ago
    Browndog Retweeted CAFC Facts & Stats
    Just watched it back, considering the pressure and nerves running through every player how good were our penalties?
  • Options
    Having watched that match on countless occasions I've never truly realised one thing.

For the first two Sunderland goals and for the penalty that Ilic almost saved, they looked more unfortunate against Charlton, i.e. the man on the post almost stops Quinn's goal whilst Ilic's hand almost connects with the Phillips lob.

My point is if you then look at the Charlton goals / penalties... Not one of them look like being saved.

Or is it me just being biased?
  • Options

Having watched that match on countless occasions I've never truly realised one thing.

For the first two Sunderland goals and for the penalty that Ilic almost saved, they looked more unfortunate against Charlton, i.e. the man on the post almost stops Quinn's goal whilst Ilic's hand almost connects with the Phillips lob.

My point is if you then look at the Charlton goals / penalties... Not one of them look like being saved.

The first goal always winds me up how Kinsella does not do his job on marking the post, why stand there if you are going to leave a gap between you and the post
  • Options

Perez could have easily save Rufus' goal if he'd stayed on his line. No one would have stopped any of Clive's.
  • Options
    Also whenever I look at Football from the 90s I can never quite believe how baggy the shirts were...
  • Options

Also whenever I look at Football from the 90s I can never quite believe how baggy the shirts were...

That's something my mum always points out when we see a bit of football from those days in certain football programmes on TV.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Why do we call it Clive Mendonca day??? Yes he got a hatrick but the other 10 players contributed to that game!

Personally I think its a Micheal Gray day
  • Options
    Ah brings back memories. I had just come back from 5 months in India and found us in the play offs. Will dig out some pics of the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Ah brings back memories. I had just come back from 5 months in India and found us in the play offs. Will dig out some pics of the day.

Bet there are some young whipper snappers on here thinking... Why didnt you just use Wifi to check the scores from India?
  • Options
    SIDDARN!!
  • Options
    Lionel Perez day, especially for going walk about with 5 mins left. Although I think Mark Bright may have helped out a bit.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

The first goal always winds me up how Kinsella does not do his job on marking the post, why stand there if you are going to leave a gap between you and the post
    Let it go Danny.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why do we call it Clive Mendonca day??? Yes he got a hatrick but the other 10 players contributed to that game!

Personally I think its a Micheal Gray day
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    let's hope that Grimsby Town can sell us one just as good VERY soon
    I have watched a LOT of players wearing the CAFC shirt and Mendonca just by a whisker beats Eddie Firmani as my favourite .. the right man in the right team just at the right time
  • Options
    I have a photo on the Wall of my office in the house, with Super Clive with the trophy on his head, Curbs holding it up, and at the bottom the team celebrating. Brings a tear to my eye.
    I was working nights that day so I went to a local British pub (the Alcatraz in Calella) to find it was full of Sunderland fans. I was the only Charlton fan there, so moments of extreme happiness mixed with very loud shouting and much misery. When sasha saved the penalty I couldn't even shout (and didn't dare). The Sunderland fans were all very good, or as good as posible given the circumstances, but they son shufled off and an hour later I was sat there on my own, still open mouthed that we were going to the prem. The bar staff all changed and when one of them askd me what the fuck was wrong with me, and I explained, they gave me a blank look and said 'playoffs, wassat then?' and I figured it was time to go. A night at work floating on air, a hangover to remember, and though I wasn't at Wembley, one of the happiest days of my life, and when I listen to KM saying she doesn't care much about the clubs history, I have to admit personally, that I don't care if she lives or dies - she is nothing to our club but a stain.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The biggest injustice in "naming a day after one player", since 1981.

Eight-for-forty three. Eight wickets. Bowling flat out. Elbows pumping, hair flying everywhere. Blitzing, demolishing and terrifying the Australian batsmen. Dragging his team from almost-certain defeat, to a head-spinning, awesome victory. And yet, they still call it "Botham's Test".

And then, in 1998 at Wembley. 104 minutes. The bone-crunching, feet-first, flying tackle that won the ball, which span to Kinsella, who fed Steve Jones...

Mendonca was brilliant. The perfect match. A hat-trick and a penalty in the shoot-out. His first was a great flick from Bright. His second was a long ball from Keith Jones. And his hat-trick was an illustration of balletic perfection, controlling Steve Jones' centre and volleying in, in one beautiful arc. Mendonca did his job, brilliantly.

But the hat-trick goal, Charlton's third equaliser of the match, the score that sent the match to penalties, was made by one perfect, old-fashioned, no-nonsense, proper, crunching tackle by an understated, down-to-earth Charlton hero. That tackle broke Sunderland that day. And for me, that tackle won the match for Charlton.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish my fellow Addicks that were there and those that missed it a very, very happy Steve Brown Day.

It's still Clive Mendonca day but for me, Richard Rufus heading the equaliser over a stranded Perez will remain with me forever.( I did have a great view from near the corner where Robbo swung it in).
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll do that this season, never been Wembley with Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not forget Richard Rufus' first goal...
  • Options
    Rufus and Mendonca .. Shakespearean heroes both ..
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

His 3rd goal alone is enough to make it Mendonca day, don't see many strikers in the prem who can control and finish like he did then!