Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Uni- yes or no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite] jimbrannin:[/cite] A football message board was more beneficial than the so called experts at school.

There's been some excellent honest advice to be honest.

Not sure we'd be so good with relationship stuff though :-)
  • Options
    JB

Im currently at Uni in Manchester. Best decision I ever made.
  • Options
    I went in the early 90's it was enjoyable but affordable. I did sports science and hadn't even finished it when I got my first proper job (discounting emptying bog roll from lorries) due to illness in my final year. the problem I think now is that there are so many more people studying for degrees that employers almost expect it. I work in IT and I have never considered not having a degree reason enough to ignore a candidate. I would say go for it for the experience though and don't study with a particular career in mind, study what you find interesting.

kigelia.
  • Options
    [cite] PalaceHater:[/cite]JB

Im currently at Uni in Manchester. Best decision I ever made.

hello mate good to see your doing well. all the best
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Will give you a few pieces of my mind mate :

Basically the whole of year 13 I was not sure at all but kept my options going with the application process. I dont know why but by about March I basically decided I needed a change.
    Im currently doing Computing for Business Applications. It is like Computer Science but with less maths and more focus on the business enviroment. It covers topics about Human Computer Interaction, Building Java programmes, Web technology etc.

Now it is not particularly entertaining but I had to look at the pros and cons. For a start I had the grades to get on that course - My first choice may have been History. However, the grades are high to get on a History course and I know what I am like. My mate does History and covers interesting topics. However, although I have 15-20 hours of tutorials/lectures a week and he has only 8 he has a lot of reading. It turns out we both on average do a similar amount of work in the week. I knew I couldnt trust myself to do all the extra reading. This degree forces me to work, gives me a skill in a specific area and also forces me to use my degree. Of course in some ways I would have done something I would have been interested in however I needed to basically consider whether it would be worth spending money on a degree that left me to do all the independent work and also didnt give me a focus.

As Rothko says a London University is a good option. You do get a lot less debt etc. However, I personally found myself fed up at living at home, wanting a full experience - It is a big shock at first, moving out etc. I am really enjoying the freedom and independence. You meet some good people, you get out your comfort zone etc at home. But as Rothko also points out if your not particularly confident you may need the security of home and having your family around you. For me personally moving to Manchester has worked out superbly - everythings a lot cheaper, its a vibrant city, your right by the city centre etc.

Remember at the end of the day it is your decision. For me I just got the urge to go and it really worked out well. You can always take a gap year and earn some money if you dont feel ready. Who knows - maybe you could get on a placement scheme when you leave school - like the Royal Bank of Scotland do. However, you may not want to regret it for the rest of your life not going to Uni. Beleive me, its an experience ! As many other posters have said above - It is your decision and no one elses.
  • Options
    I have to agree largely with PalaceHater. I've only been at university for just over two weeks now, but I'm already beginning to find the whole experience one worth going for. Its difficult for me to say what everything is like because everyone is still trying to settle in, and classes have not fully gotten underway yet, but the whole freedom you can get from being away from home, and people that already know you well. It is a chance to get away and do things you want. One of the first thing that all my lecturers have said is that university is not just for work, it is about having fun because its almost the last chance you have before going into work. You can meet so many different kinds of people, and if you talk to my sister, she'll tell you that you can make friends for life out of university. There are few people that I've spoken to that have been to university and HAVEN'T said that it was the best time of their life.

I'm at a campus uni, so thats different to one in a city with different parts spread all over the place. But it depends what kind of things you're after. If you do decide to go to look round certain universities then you will get more of an idea of A) if you want to go at all, B) what kind of place you want to go to and C) what kind of course you can do.

The options are still so open even if you don't decide to go to university this year. You can either get a job for a year or two, and then go, or you might decide to stay on at the job you are and climb the ladder that way. One thing you will need at one point or another is experience, and if you do go straight into a job then there's the possibility that you will have more experience than a lot of graduates by the time they leave uni. Working will give you a chance to learn the soft skills that are supposedly learnt at uni, which several companies are bemoaning the lack of in new graduates.

One thing I would say though, is to not let the burden of debt put you off going, it should be a case of whether you want to go or not, not whether you feel like you can or can't go. It is your choice, but you shouldn't feel like what you do now will be the definitive choice that you have to live with for the rest of your life. If you take one road, it doesn't mean you can't go back and take the other road if you realise what thats what you want to do.

Hope this helps even just a little bit.
  • Options
    It is nigh on 30 years that I started at a time when working class kids generally did not go unless as in my case you went to a grammar school. Though I still believe in the Grammar school principle it is encouraging that the doors have opened wider perhaps too wide for some attendees and courses.

The advice I have given to my teenage children is aspire if possible to be a something. At 14 I had decided to be a pharmacist and thankfully it is not something I regret. If it needs a degree to either become the best in a given field or as an enabler to be a 'something' then go and do it aspiration and motivation are fundemental

And as for a life changing experience it was absolutely wonderful!
  • Options
    It didn't cost so much when I did it back in 92-95, and was well worth it. My degree does help with jobs although not directly related.

Lots of loose women, and people in general wanting to experience stuff. Although still plenty of narrow minded eejits like you get if you straight to work.

You only get one life so why spending all of it working, expand your mind and your horizons, uni is one way of doing that potentially.

R
  • Options
    [cite] razil:[/cite]expand your mind and your horizons, uni is one way of doing that potentially.

R

I didnt go to Uni but spent plenty of time in my 20's expanding my mind with the aid of class A narcotics
  • Options
    I didnt go to Uni but spent plenty of time in my 20's expanding my mind with the aid of class A narcotics

And boy does it show ; )

I left home at 17 and did various things and lots of nothing. I could have gone to Uni, done the same and got a degree but didn't. I'm sure going to Uni is a life changing experience but I think as is more about being 18 and away from home for the first time than any magic of Uni. If you joined the Army or just lived in a squat in Hackney (god, what a dump that was) then it would be different by still an experience.

Whatever you do just do something. You always reget the things you don't more than the things you do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    palace hater that pretty much somes up my thoughts, decided i'm going to apply but also look at job options at the same time keep my options open.