Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD Statement: Slade Appointment

Comments

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

CARD said:

CHARLTON PROTESTS UNAFFECTED BY DUCHATELET’S SIXTH MANAGERIAL APPOINTMENT IN 27 MONTHS

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) welcomes Russell Slade to Charlton Athletic.
    The club's transfer activity has been a particular disaster, with large sums of money wasted under her authority. Despite recruiting dozens and dozens of new players in two and a half years, Charlton have yet to sign a single experienced British player directly from a British club under this regime other than on a loan basis, something which is clearly untenable as a policy given the differences between the continental European and English leagues.

The regime's words no longer carry any weight.

I take it we're not counting Ba as he was not "experienced?"

Sorry to nitpick, just not convinced there's much value for money in England at the moment. Goes without saying we needed more English/Championship experience last year. I just fear that when we get caught up on "British," be they managers or players (or players with British experience), we somewhat limit ourselves to what is an overall problem with recruitment and club structure. It feels like the 180 that led to Slade being appointed is a part of a movement toward British, but I'm unconvinced that recruiting British players, particularly the best of the lower leagues, is the way forward for us.
    The point is that NO British signings as a policy is a ridiculous position. And there is no value for money in signing foreign players who aren't suited to the league - not that there is anything wrong with foreign players per se.

Duchatelet has been attempting to outperform the market without expertise. No wonder he has failed.

Agreed, although it's not that we've had no British signings, we've just had mediocre ones--Johnson, Eagles, Etheridge.

I take the point of the statement, and what qualifies good versus bad signings is subjective, complex, and time-based. I get why CARD's statement says what it says, I just try to look for greater nuance so that we don't fall into the trap of "British signings and manager=improvement."
    That's been all about not paying a transfer fee, though. There's a reason players are unattached.
    True, though JBG and Diarra were also unattached and they've turned into excellent signings. My critique here is more the parameters set (which I understand is nitpicking, and meant simply as a discussion for a message board and not one that could be done in a Press Release).

Let me see if this clarifies, my main point is this regime does not know what they've done well and done poorly, basically meaning they don't know what they're doing, which I think we can all agree with. There have been some very good signings from abroad, JBG, Igor, Kashi, Bauer, Buyens. There have also been some poor ones. Instead of trying to focus on what has been successful, the regime has, seemingly, decided to rip it all up and start afresh by combing the lower leagues of English players for signings.

Going back to the start of last season, the dearth of signings (particularly at center back and center forward) were as big as, if not a bigger problem than the signings themselves. Instead of understanding this, attempting to leverage whatever and whoever does foreign scouting and combine it with scouting of British-based players--a role for a DoF, we instead seem intent on going to the other end of the spectrum, signing a British Manager to do player recruitment and looking to exclusively sign British-based players. It makes no sense, and it is the perfect antithesis to "we learn from our mistakes." Instead of evaluating what has gone right and what has gone wrong, they've just said "well things are bad, let's try something new entirely."
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

CARD said:

CHARLTON PROTESTS UNAFFECTED BY DUCHATELET’S SIXTH MANAGERIAL APPOINTMENT IN 27 MONTHS

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) welcomes Russell Slade to Charlton Athletic.
    The club's transfer activity has been a particular disaster, with large sums of money wasted under her authority. Despite recruiting dozens and dozens of new players in two and a half years, Charlton have yet to sign a single experienced British player directly from a British club under this regime other than on a loan basis, something which is clearly untenable as a policy given the differences between the continental European and English leagues.

Sorry to nitpick, just not convinced there's much value for money in England at the moment. Goes without saying we needed more English/Championship experience last year. I just fear that when we get caught up on "British," be they managers or players (or players with British experience), we somewhat limit ourselves to what is an overall problem with recruitment and club structure. It feels like the 180 that led to Slade being appointed is a part of a movement toward British, but I'm unconvinced that recruiting British players, particularly the best of the lower leagues, is the way forward for us.
    The point is that NO British signings as a policy is a ridiculous position. And there is no value for money in signing foreign players who aren't suited to the league - not that there is anything wrong with foreign players per se.

Duchatelet has been attempting to outperform the market without expertise. No wonder he has failed.

Agreed, although it's not that we've had no British signings, we've just had mediocre ones--Johnson, Eagles, Etheridge.

I take the point of the statement, and what qualifies good versus bad signings is subjective, complex, and time-based. I get why CARD's statement says what it says, I just try to look for greater nuance so that we don't fall into the trap of "British signings and manager=improvement."
    That's been all about not paying a transfer fee, though. There's a reason players are unattached.
    True, though JBG and Diarra were also unattached and they've turned into excellent signings. My critique here is more the parameters set (which I understand is nitpicking, and meant simply as a discussion for a message board and not one that could be done in a Press Release).

Let me see if this clarifies, my main point is this regime does not know what they've done well and done poorly, basically meaning they don't know what they're doing, which I think we can all agree with. There have been some very good signings from abroad, JBG, Igor, Kashi, Bauer, Buyens. There have also been some poor ones. Instead of trying to focus on what has been successful, the regime has, seemingly, decided to rip it all up and start afresh by combing the lower leagues of English players for signings.

Going back to the start of last season, the dearth of signings (particularly at center back and center forward) were as big as, if not a bigger problem than the signings themselves. Instead of understanding this, attempting to leverage whatever and whoever does foreign scouting and combine it with scouting of British-based players--a role for a DoF, we instead seem intent on going to the other end of the spectrum, signing a British Manager to do player recruitment and looking to exclusively sign British-based players. It makes no sense, and it is the perfect antithesis to "we learn from our mistakes." Instead of evaluating what has gone right and what has gone wrong, they've just said "well things are bad, let's try something new entirely."
    JBG and to a lesser extent Diarra were always going to get clubs though. The other three were in a relatvely weak mid-season bargaining position, plus the former are not British, but I understand your broader point. I agree they have no idea what they are doing, which is why I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Slade. But we'll see.
  • sam3110 said:

Not everything needs a statement after it you know

Apologist.
  • CatAddick said:

SDAddick said:

CARD said:

I think the point is that the regime transfer (and coach) recruitment policy has had the appearance of being so anti-British (experience) as to be almost xenophobic. We need something more balanced and this might be a start. I certainly don't want millions wasted on 'British' crap any more than I wanted millions wasted on the 'foreign' crap over the last couple of seasons - lets have a mixture of British/foreign/youth crap then we'll ALL have something to moan about :wink:
    Obviously the best outcome is for the club to be run properly, but the second best outcome is obviously for all and sundry to have the ability to have a good whinge.

We must never lose sight of what we're fighting for!
  • One of CARD's 5 points made at The Reading game as justification for the protests and stated as the reasons to attempt the removal of the owner from the club, was the continued appointment of "incompetent" Belgian head coaches. This seems to have been addressed doesn't it ?

The other 4 as a reminder were that the owner gives money to the club (not lends it), a dislike of the CEO, player transfer & retention policy and not being a "player farm" - I imagine we'll get a feel for the last 2 of those over the summer.
  • Excellent from CARD as usual. Spot on.
  • The appointment of Slade makes sense and that is something that is hardly ever said about previous decisions made by this regime.

However we know from experience that despite what is being said, we need to wait and see the reality of how much control Slade will have.

The appointment of a UK manager has now occurred, but do not lose sight of the damage these clowns have caused to our club, not just on the pitch, there is loads they still need to do.

The statement from CARD is correct and the campaign must continue
  • sam3110 said:

Not everything needs a statement after it you know

He says after opening a thread about a statement, reading the statement and then making a statement on a thread about a statement.
    But he's allowed to voice descent. This isn't a thread about baseball in which someone declares it a rubbish version of rounders, this is about a statement and approach that affects most, if not all of us as Charlton supporters. I've stated above why I think this is an important topic to issue a statement on. But at the end of the day CARD is a coalition, and coalitions are based around differing opinions and compromise. This is not now, nor should it ever be, a case of "you're with us 100% of the time or you're against us."
  • Sponsored links:

• I would go so far as to say 'breathtaking incompetence'
  • I'd say she's groin-grabbingly incompetent.

I'll leave that to you.

I'm prepared to give it a go.

I'm going to write that down and use it.
  • Wish the man well but won't be rushing back until I see that he really is allowed to operate as a manager, and if he is, then why the hell have so many others been fired, sanctioned or pushed out for expressing any view that runs counter to the regime? I am sure loads of people have thrown out this line already but not sure he'll still be No 1 at Christmas.
  • Another day, another manager.
    Same owner,same CEO, same principles, same result.

• Protests at the press conference tomorrow from CARD?
  • Fumbluff said:

I can only voice descent when I'm going down hill open-mouthed

I said I didn't want it to be "with us or against us," I didn't say I wanted it to be easy to have a different opinion.

Gonna go ahead and blame autocorrect on that one (he says hopefully)
  • Sponsored links:

• We have the coming weeks to see what has changed. Most of us have forgotten more about British League football than our owner and CEO have ever known and ever will know. If they support Slade, well that might a chink of light - but will they? This mob - they can't help themselves!
  • It is not a massive move forward. I have no idea whether Russell Slade is taking a job because he needs one and will let KM and RD still make decisions that are a disaster for the club.
    A massive move forward is RD sells the club to competent owners.
    A significant move forward is to take KM away from the club.

If we had a competent ceo we may never get rid of the Belgians, let her stay she's a powerful weapon to have on our side.
  • i think you are all missing the point - he isn't going to sell until we are back in the championship as he will lose too much money - the protests have possibly been successful in bringing about the change in strategy although relegation may also be a factor! I think the protests will only detract from our promotion push - a ceasefire should be in place and if we see its all a load of cosmetic nonsense then protests start again. If they start from first game, they will be seen by most - me included, as a pain in the arse.
  • DOUCHER said:

i think you are all missing the point - he isn't going to sell until we are back in the championship as he will lose too much money - the protests have possibly been successful in bringing about the change in strategy although relegation may also be a factor! I think the protests will only detract from our promotion push - a ceasefire should be in place and if we see its all a load of cosmetic nonsense then protests start again. If they start from first game, they will be seen by most - me included, as a pain in the arse.

There's two posibilities for Roland selling;
    Roland selling once we are in the championship again as the club will be closer to HIS valuation

Or

Roland sells whenever the whole "losing money hand over fist" becomes too much AKA after a year or two at league one
  • Let's get behind the team and Slade and turn up to the games and protest after.
  • edited June 2016
    I don't see any significant change when the most incompetent CEO imaginable who has shown herself to be a serial disrespecter of fans stays in the job. He insults us by this act in itself! If he was capable of rational thought, she would be long gone!

The only reason for keeping her from what I can see is to remind us that it is his club and he can do what he wants with it!
  • i understand what you are saying but the truth is, for 95% it is about results. the whole point of the protests for me was to bring about change as it had become so apparant that change was needed. For others i believe it has become personal. Either way, the word is he will not sell until we are up - and that is coming from 'the inner sanctum' - whether that is a 'trick' to get fans to stop protesting who knows but i look at it logically as the word is also that the interested buyers were only interested in a championship club. Who knows the truth but my judgement is that the protests should cease until it becomes apparant that nothing hasreally changed.
  • Slade "I was attracted to Charlton as it has has great facilities, passionate fans and a very successful academy.
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-new-manager-russell-slade-3135667.aspx#oe2tM6zteZgwpG3K.99

Didn't the regime trot this out almost word for word back in 2014 ?