Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birthday Honours

Am I alone in getting more irate each time these lists are announced. For example, I like Rod Stewart as a performer and he seems to be a 'real', likeable person but Sir Rod Stewart? With regards to work for charity I appreciate this is a genuine, generous gesture on his part but to be awarded a knighthood for it? As for Ant & Dec??.
I am not totally against the Honours List - for example - pleased to see that Dame Vera Lynn who is still working at the age of 99 continues to be recognised.

Comments

• About time Keith Peacock was in the frame.
  • seth plum said:

About time Keith Peacock was in the frame.

Nah no high profile enough.

What is a joke is the fact that a lot of Black Actors / Sportsmen have got awards for Services for raising the black profile etc. yet Chris Powell who was PFA Chairman god knows how long gets nothing
  • If Elton John deserves one then Rod certainly does.
    Pop stars give countless hours of pleasure and entertainment to millions, whether performing live or on recordings, they deserve recognition as much as the faceless civil servants and industry fat cats.
    Still no Sir Becks, must be soon.
  • seth plum said:

What is a joke is the fact that a lot of Black Actors / Sportsmen have got awards for Services for raising the black profile etc. yet Chris Powell who was PFA Chairman god knows how long gets nothing
    Please show who got an award from the queen "for raising the black profile etc." I think you'll struggle.
  • iainment said:

seth plum said:

Please show who got an award from the queen "for raising the black profile etc." I think you'll struggle.
    I thought that was what Rod Stewart was honoured for?
  • Damn another year still no award. Would love to see SCP get something for services to football
  • I thought it was Ainsley Harriott that was knighted. Last time I watch ITV news.
  • Am I alone in getting more irate each time these lists are announced. For example, I like Rod Stewart as a performer and he seems to be a 'real', likeable person but Sir Rod Stewart? With regards to work for charity I appreciate this is a genuine, generous gesture on his part but to be awarded a knighthood for it? As for Ant & Dec??.
    I am not totally against the Honours List - for example - pleased to see that Dame Vera Lynn who is still working at the age of 99 continues to be recognised.

My opera-singing mate will be going spare at the thought of Roddy Boy getting a knighthood. I'm seeing him next weekend - can't wait!
  • Arise Dame Katrien....

(for services to Millwall)
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't mind the honours system in general, but I bloody hate the way the class system permeates the whole thing. Alistair Cook gets a CBE, Stuart Broad an OBE. Why - because of the captaincy. It's bollocks.
  • Thing is, we don't know if people who haven't had them were offered one but turned them down.
  • We know Benjamin Zephaniah turned it down.
  • aliwibble said:

Thing is, we don't know if people who haven't had them were offered one but turned them down.

David Bowie turned down a Knighthood on more than one occasion but I don't really get your point.
  • My point is, people saying XYZ should have had one, generally don't know if the people they're discussing have been offered one and turned it down. You can't assume lack of award means lack of appreciation.
  • aliwibble said:

My point is, people saying XYZ should have had one, generally don't know if the people they're discussing have been offered one and turned it down. You can't assume lack of award means lack of appreciation.

That's what they always told me at work when explaining why my bonus was crap!
  • Rod Stewart? The Londoner who "supports" Man Utd, Celtic and Scotland? The bloke who "hires" local football teams to play against him and his celeb mates and then gets them to change in a shed in his garden, play the game and then go home without sharing as much as a light ale? I find it hard to see a redeeming feature in this bloke.
  • Rod Stewart? The Londoner who "supports" Man Utd, Celtic and Scotland? The bloke who "hires" local football teams to play against him and his celeb mates and then gets them to change in a shed in his garden, play the game and then go home without sharing as much as a light ale? I find it hard to see a redeeming feature in this bloke.

He was a great soul singer.
  • edited June 2016
    My neighbor got a OBE last year -- 50 years working for charity

Don't think they asked her skin pigment tho

He was a great soul singer.
    One man's meat...
  • Sponsored links:

• I am certainly not going to tell you plebs about all the times I've refused a gong.
  • seth plum said:

I am certainly not going to tell you plebs about all the times I've refused a gong.

Was it for services to the English Languge (Grammar) ;0))

• edited June 2016
    The nearest I've come to getting a gong is the watching the begining of a Rank film.

Not that I would want one or a given one.
  • Call me Dave is lining up cart loads of awards/gongs for all the great and good that stood shoulder to shoulder with him in the battle for Europe

Sorry " great and good " I meant lying self centred twats
  • edited June 2016

Rod Stewart? The Londoner who "supports" Man Utd, Celtic and Scotland? The bloke who "hires" local football teams to play against him and his celeb mates and then gets them to change in a shed in his garden, play the game and then go home without sharing as much as a light ale? I find it hard to see a redeeming feature in this bloke.

Rod was born in Highgate so I guess he is a Londoner without inverted commas. His parents were Scots and he attended many Scotland international games as a child.

What he does in his back garden is a flimsy basis to judge him as a person.

I do know from personal experience of the work he does for the Princes Trust - trying to give young people a leg-up in life - which he does not publicise in true Smashy and Nicey style.

Footy fans may have read about the help he has given Carlisle FC after the recent floods - with a donation and arranging a concert at the ground.

Arise, Sir Rod - it's long overdue.
  • I once saw the Faces at the Crystal Palace bowl, Rod as lead singer and a stellar line up with Ronnie Wood, Ronnie Lane et al, and they were excellent.
    Whether that qualifies as a gong reason I don't know.
    I reckon the lady who works in the Manor Cafe deserves an award for services to cheering everybody up.
  • Well he lived abroad for 40 years so I guess his charity work was not very hands on.
  • Well he lived abroad for 40 years so I guess his charity work was not very hands on.

He has owned houses in many countries and still does, but charity work takes many forms.
    He could sit by his LA pool writing donation cheques, but his contribution to the Princes Trust work is more hands on than that.

We could always pinch the medal back from that RBS chap, or the BHS fella to give to Rod.