Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are the Olympics a waste of time? (Russia banned from Rio)

As a sports fan I have watched most of the stuff that comes on the telly over the years. The Olympics was always the pinnacle for me, but now I look back with some regret at the amount of time I have wasted watching cheats prosper.

I recall the great East German team who won 409 medals in the six Summer Olympics between 68 and 88 - not bad for a nation of 16 million people.

We may have suspected at the time, but now we know that their ‘success’ was entirely due to the Stasi backed, state sponsored doping scheme, A scheme incidentally that victimised the athletes, damaged their health, ruined lives and even changed the sex of some (Heidi Krieger to name but one). About 1000 ex GDR athletes recently shared a £7.2 million payout from the German government for the distress they endured with the drugs abuse they underwent in the training camps - some from the age of eight onwards.

One GDR World record that still stands is that of Marita Koch’s 400 metre run in 1985. There is no proof of wrongdoing, but jeez, just take a look at the clip on youtube, it is still … frankly astonishing.

Each year we are told that the drugs testing is improving, but each year we are also told that athletes are slipping through the net. Well now it seems not so much slipping through the net, as pouring through gaping holes.

Now we learn that the Russians have also been doping athletes on an industrial scale. Russian athletes are to be banned from competing at Rio. Wada (World Anti Doping Agency) have revealed that the Russian secret service have threatened their own testers with deportation and that customs officials have tampered with samples.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/15/russian-rio-olympic-hopes-recede-wada-report

However, is this only part of the problem? On top of this other nations such as Turkey, Ukraine, Kenya, Morocco Jamaica and Spain are under suspicion. It all depends so much on the drug testing agencies from those individual countries - some are pathetically short of the required standard. And finally there are the wised up western cheats who remain one step ahead of the game, (despite fairly extensive testing) through the expertise of their unscrupulous medics.

It all makes for a bewildering concoction for sports fans to reconnoitre with. How can anyone watch the greatest show on Earth, without the absolute assurance that each and every competitor is giving a drugs free performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD4OUTXvtRU

Comments

• That was an astonishing run. Was she a favourite or did it happen out of the blue? I can't remember.
  • That clip is a joke. She's so far ahead of second place who must also be juiced up because she's 100m ahead of third place!
  • Ps. Mind you, I always used to quite fancy a bit of Katerina Krabbe back in the day, drugs or no drugs.
  • What!!!! The Russians corrupt?
  • She wasn't even out of breath afterwards!

But yeah I also doubt every single one of our athletes are clean, but unfortunately that appears to be the sport now, not how fast you can go, how high you jump, how long you throw, but what drugs you can take and get away with
  • They can still compete as independents can't they? If they prove that they are clean.
  • Amazing soundtrack that, "And cock wins a new world record, 47.6".

That's a lot of centimetres.
  • Yes. I've followed the Olympics since Mexico 1968, and still can't get my head around the London Olympics and being able to see so many events. But Athletics is rotten and I can't watch it anymore. The men's cycling road race in London was won by a confirmed drugs cheat. You can't take it seriously.
  • All Olympic athletes should be allowed to juice up as much as they want, if anything it should be encouraged.

Imagine the excitement of records not only being broken but smashed to bits, athletes having fatal heart attacks during competition and of course you could run a book on who would be the first athlete to to kill themselves along with their wife and kids whilst clutching a copy of the bible.

Have 2 events, a regular Olympics and a Super-Olympics with Wrestlemania style pageantry. Super-Olympics will see 25 stone athletes running the 100m in 6 1/2 seconds and the javelin will be measured by how up the stand it goes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Once trust and credibility is lost its almost impossible to restore. I used to love athletics and used to scoff at cycling because of its obvious and known drug taking.

Not sure there is much that can be done to restore complete confidence in either sports.

For me it's just a waste of my time watching.
  • sam3110 said:

She wasn't even out of breath afterwards!

But yeah I also doubt every single one of our athletes are clean, but unfortunately that appears to be the sport now, not how fast you can go, how high you jump, how long you throw, but what drugs you can take and get away with

As the op states, it's not just the sport now, it's how to sport has been for 50 years or more.
  • I think things are far worse than anyone suspects across all sports. One of the great scandals was successfully covered up until recently for years by the Spanish courts when they tried destroy all the blood samples taken in a raid on Eufemiano Fuentes' lab. There have been links to the Spanish World Cup winning football team, a number of high profile tennis players and basketball players. Nadal even sued the French sports minister for defamation over suggesting links.

A decision was made four days ago to release to WADA the samples of 35 athletes from a number of sports. Their identities had been protected as the original investigation only centred on four cyclists.

It has been incredible how passive the reaction has been to the recent scandals if bribery, dopping and match fixing in Football, cycling, cricket and athletics have been. It seems we are only at the mouth of the rabbit hole as well. Maybe the public expect the decline in scruples with the insane amounts of money involved?
  • One of our best friends over here is the head of the athletes committee for WADA - has been fascinating to hear of the machinations on international politics and sport - but also worrying for her given rhe dark side of Putin's regime....

• On top of this other nations such as Turkey, Ukraine, Kenya, Morocco Jamaica and Spain are under suspicion.

What about China and their swimmers?

I remember at the London olympics they had a 16 year old female who swam a faster leg in one of the medley races than the equivalent leg time of mens gold medal winner. If that's not suspicious then nothing ever will be!

• On top of this other nations such as Turkey, Ukraine, Kenya, Morocco Jamaica and Spain are under suspicion.

I remember at the London olympics they had a 16 year old female who swam a faster leg in one of the medley races than the equivalent leg time of mens gold medal winner. If that's not suspicious then nothing ever will be!
    Ye Shiwen has virtually disappeared off the face of the earth (bar the 2014 Asian Games) since that swim. It's claimed she's been injured but it smells pretty rotten.

Ye Shiwen has virtually disappeared off the face of the earth (bar the 2014 Asian Games) since that swim. It's claimed she's been injured but it smells pretty rotten.
    Gangrene?