Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options

If England can score a few tonight, 3 minimum, then the side will have the confidence to go on and beat France, assuming Iceland don't score more than 2

I heard on the radio this morning that apparently the last time we scored more than 2 goals in the knock out stages of a tournament was 10 years ago against the mighty Trinidad & Tobago.
    That was the group stage and I thought we won 1-0??
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The app is severely broken.

You don't strike me as a woman, but that's a womans name. Surname anyway.
  • Options

From quite a knowledge of Icelandic football - I would pack out the width, rather than squeeze it in the middle. I'd play Clyne in behind Walker on the RW who would tear them to shreds - they have weak links but they can get away with these when everything is pressed. Great crosses and runs from deep will undo them. Their keeper has only been professional for 2 years, they all rate him over there but I think he's a liability and a mistake waiting to happen (as we've seen in their first few games)

Exactly what was needed (esp. 2nd half) against Slovakia too. The verdict and acceptance that it's nigh on impossible to break down a team playing like they did, was in my opinion, a cop out!!
  • Options
    The only way they'll trouble us is by their long throw and Harte flapping
  • Options

I fancy him to knock in a free kick though.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

If England can score a few tonight, 3 minimum, then the side will have the confidence to go on and beat France, assuming Iceland don't score more than 2

I heard on the radio this morning that apparently the last time we scored more than 2 goals in the knock out stages of a tournament was 10 years ago against the mighty Trinidad & Tobago.
    I remember that game for being particularly frustrating. It looked like we would draw it until Crouch rescued us late in the game.
  • Options

seth plum said:
    The app is severely broken.

You don't strike me as a woman, but that's a womans name. Surname anyway.
    Being Icelandic puts you in touch with your feminine side I suppose.
  • Options
    Sterling? Really? Hodgson really is a stubborn old boot
  • Options

I remember that game for being particularly frustrating. It looked like we would draw it until Crouch rescued us late in the game.
    And a great Gerrard strike made it 2-0?

Sure of it unless i am going mad which is possible.
  • Options

I don't think it's that bad. Lallana has a knock from training, you probably don't want to risk him picking up something more serious and risk him being out of the QF. I don't think Vardy worked that well in the wide position and he'll have even less chance of getting in behind the back line tonight. Give Sterling a go, if he gets some confidence back then great should help, if not then we know he shouldn't start against France (assuming no injuries). I'd also rather have options from the bench if it wasn't working.

In reality, if we fail to win this game it won't be because Sterling started. The reserve lineup should win comfortably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

I don't think it's that bad. Lallana has a knock from training, you probably don't want to risk him picking up something more serious and risk him being out of the QF. I don't think Vardy worked that well in the wide position and he'll have even less chance of getting in behind the back line tonight. Give Sterling a go, if he gets some confidence back then great should help, if not then we know he shouldn't start against France (assuming no injuries). I'd also rather have options from the bench if it wasn't working.

In reality, if we fail to win this game it won't be because Sterling started. The reserve lineup should win comfortably.
    Agree mate, I'd rather have Sterling out there than Vardy playing out of position.
    Our problem has been square pegs in round holes for so long now, need to find a system, stick to thr system, and pick players that fit the system.

For the record, I would rather have Vardy up top than Kane tonight
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

After thinking about it, we need him to find form to have any chance of doing well in this competition, so maybe best to chuck him in.
  • Options
    I think I would go Kane. Like I said I don't think Vardy will get any space in behind. I think Kane would do better IF he gets the service into the box. He's the only one that's even like a target man/lone striker. Also, he hasn't suddenly become a bad player. He's just looked knackered, but then he did have most of the last match off and a full week to at least recuperate a little, should look a bit fresher if he plays tonight.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I fancy him to knock in a free kick though.
    I think he might draw a picture.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm worried that Vardy will only be effective against teams that come at us and allow him to get in behind their back line. Slovakia sat back, Iceland will too.

I'd be tempted to go 4-4-2 with Kane and Sturridge up front - Kane has been too isolated in the minutes he's played, Sturridge needs to be in and around the box and not coming deep looking for the ball.

Rooney and Dier can pull the strings in the middle and I'd have Lallana (if fit) on the left wing with a Walker and Clyne combo down the right.

Danny Rose at left back, Smalling and Cahill in the middle. Hart in goal.

Vardy, Alli, Rashford and Barkley ready to come off the bench if we need a goal.

• Options
    Lallana isn't a left winger in a 4-4-2
    Clyne isn't a right winger
    Rooney has never played CM in a 4-4-2

I get your argument but hope to god Roy goes nowhere near it!
  • Options
    Vardy would be a great substitute to bring on when you're ahead, and the opposition leave space at the back. One quick ball over the top and he's clear
  • Options
    All i know is, i will be screaming at the tele about 5 minutes in as usual...

Seriously, we've got to beat Iceland surely?
  • Options

All i know is, i will be screaming at the tele about 5 minutes in as usual...

Seriously, we've got to beat Iceland surely?

Deep breaths soapy, deep breaths. And more importantly I will be here for you tomorrow should the result not be a favorable one :smile:
  • Options
    How long until the video of the Scottish bloke saying "I hate Iceland" resurfaces?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Need someone like Sterling to play like Draxler did against Slovakia yesterday who can beat one man out wide and just whip the ball in as Lallana/Alli/Sturridge/Rooney all take up the same position lining up the edge of the box which Iceland would love to defend against long snap shots all game.

Just need him to not be scapegoated every week by people in here and people booing him if he loses possession trying to take someone on...
  • Options
    Team news:

Hart; Walker, Rose, Cahill, Smalling; Dier, Rooney (c), Alli; Sterling, Sturridge, Kane
  • Options
    It might just be me, but I'm getting really annoyed at the full stop after the V in the the title of this thread.
  • Options
    TalkShite right again......
  • Options
    I've been one of Sterlings biggest critics, but I hope he has a stormer tonight. I think the biggest thing is frustration when it comes to him. He really could be a top top player.
  • Options
  • Options
    Good team. Sterling provides natural width. Apparently he got a call from Pep saying that he rates him. Think he's gotten ridiculously harsh criticism.

Think Sturridge could be the difference.
  • Options
    Cmon England get it done.
  • Options
    If Hoddle says Icelantic one more time I'll punch the tv.

Come on England!