Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2nd Referendum moves a step closer...

OK, a ballot rather than a referendum. Same thing really...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36640085

Muirfield has announced it wants to hold a fresh ballot to decide whether to admit female members.

The Scottish venue opted against lifting its ban on women in May and was told it would not stage another Open Championship as a result.

The decision also provoked a storm of criticism, with Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon calling the club's stance "simply indefensible".

Muirfield hopes the new vote will take place by the end of the year.

The club needed a two thirds majority to amend its rules on admission when it held its initial ballot on 19 May.

However, only 64% voted in favour of allowing women members, which meant that no changes could be implemented.

Club captain Henry Fairweather said the outcome had "damaged" the reputation of Muirfield and needed to be overturned.

He said "a clear and decisive vote in favour of admitting women as members is required to enable us to begin the task of restoring the reputation of the club".

Muirfield last hosted the Open in 2013 but was told it would never stage the competition again by the R&A, which jointly governs world golf with the United States Golf Association.

The R&A said it could not stage the event "at a venue that does not admit women as members" but added it might alter its view if the club changed its stance.

Responding to Monday's announcement by Muirfield, the R&A said: "We welcome this development."

Comments

• I did use the right category though @Fiiish :wink:

On a serious note...they narrowly missed the 2/3rds majority last time and were removed from the courses able to host the Open.

When they realised the impact of their decision and what it really meant, they've decided to try again.

Now, where can we draw parallels do you think?? :smile:
  • TelMc32 said:

I did use the right category though @Fiiish :wink:

On a serious note...they narrowly missed the 2/3rds majority last time and were removed from the courses able to host the Open.

When they realised the impact of their decision and what it really meant, they've decided to try again.

Now, where can we draw parallels do you think?? :smile:

Katrien appointing an English manager?
  • Someone didn't read the OP
  • If we could all turn our telly's of and stop reading newspapers for the next 2 months I think we would then see that not that much has changed . total panic bollocks
  • edited June 2016

If we could all turn our telly's of and stop reading newspapers for the next 2 months I think we would then see that not that much has changed . total panic bollocks

It's clear that some of the elites in power here turned off their communication devices with the outside world a good 100 years ago unfortunately.

I VOTE IN!
  • If we could all turn our telly's of and stop reading newspapers for the next 2 months I think we would then see that not that much has changed . total panic bollocks

@blackpool72

Not doing yourself any favours here : - )
  • Sponsored links:

You really need to learn to read the story not just the headline.
  • aliwibble said:

If we could all turn our telly's of and stop reading newspapers for the next 2 months I think we would then see that not that much has changed . total panic bollocks

You really need to learn to read the story not just the headline.
    Is it to do with golf
  • I see the initiative test for who should be allowed to vote is going well then!! :wink:
  • Have to admit you've got to hand it to the Scots... At least they're consistent with having multiple votes on things