Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Book for holiday

Any suggestions for a decent read. Going tomorrow and it's the only time I get to read a paperback. Keen on thrillers..... A big fan of Harlan Coban and Michael Connelly. Ideas please?

Comments

• Campbell Armstrong series of books,
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Any suggestions for a decent read. Going tomorrow and it's the only time I get to read a paperback. Keen on thrillers..... A big fan of Harlan Coban and Michael Connelly. Ideas please?

try a Peter James book, very good read or Robert Goddard writes a good thriller too
  • I would second Peter James - First of the Roy Grace series is Dead Simple, then make sure you read them in order
  • Also like Chris Carter
  • Unbroken.
    it will put all your woes into perspective.
  • I would second Peter James - First of the Roy Grace series is Dead Simple, then make sure you read them in order

they are supposed to be making a TV series so will be interesting how that turns out
  • The Martian by Andy Weir is a good read. I am also collecting the Jack Reacher novels by Ian Childs.
  • edited June 2016
    Any Michael Rowbotham, or if you can get it in English Flight of the Storks by Jean-Christophe Grangé. Any CJ Box novel with a Joe Pickett story. A prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving or Dumas's Count of Monte Christo if you haven't read it.
  • edited June 2016
    Always find holidays have a requirement of the Karma Sutra to be read...
  • Sponsored links:

• The Martian by Andy Weir is a good read. I am also collecting the Jack Reacher novels by Ian Childs.

The Jack Reacher novels are great for holidays.

read it last year. V good but yet to see the movie
  • The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is absolutely excellent. I coulnd't stop buying them after reading the first book. I suggest reading them in order.
  • Anything by Mark Billingham, great crime writer
  • edited June 2016
  • Rivers of London series by Ben Arronavitch. A detective tale but a bit different.
  • Love John Grisham books. Although I did just read The Summons - give that one a swerve.
  • Love John Grisham books. Although I did just read The Summons - give that one a swerve.

Read Gray Mountain by John Grisham last time out but wasn't that impressed.
  • Have taken a chance on The Witness by Simon Kernick, primarily cos its got an endorsement by Harlan Coben.
    Thanks all for your input. I'll bear them in mind for future trips
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Have taken a chance on The Witness by Simon Kernick, primarily cos its got an endorsement by Harlan Coben.
    Thanks all for your input. I'll bear them in mind for future trips

I've read several Kernick novels but can't remember which one's, do remember them being decent though. Let us know what you reckon.
  • Sponsored links:

• An early Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch .. 'Trunk Music' if you haven't gone that far back with Connelly ..
    or someone you probably never heard of .. John Sandford and the 'Prey' series, even better than Connelly/Coban in my opinion .. US cops and robbers thrillers ... whatever, have a great holiday
  • Denzil Meyrick. DCI Daley series. Tartan Noir Scottish crime set in "back of beyond" First one is Whisky from small glasses. Excellent read.
  • The Road - Cormac McCarthy, is a cheery number.

The Passage (trilogy) - Justin Cronin

Are a couple of my faves
  • Love the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. I've read all of them (I think there's about 12 of them now), they're good for a holiday read.
  • Jo Nesbo's 'Harry Hole' crime series for me.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Love John Grisham books. Although I did just read The Summons - give that one a swerve.

Read Gray Mountain by John Grisham last time out but wasn't that impressed.
    Not read that one, really enjoyed -a time to kill, the firm and the last juror if you ever fancy giving him another go, particularly the first two.

they are supposed to be making a TV series so will be interesting how that turns out
    Seen two on stage, and they were both excellent. Even Les Dennis being in one couldn't spoil it.
  • The Road - Cormac McCarthy, is a cheery number.

The Passage (trilogy) - Justin Cronin

Are a couple of my faves

Absolutely love The Road. Beautiful novel.
  • i can recommend both Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein) and Dune (Herbert) if you fancy mixing some science fiction/religious philosophy in with your thrills.
  • You could do much worse than anything by RJ Ellory. Start with A Quiet Belief in Angels.