Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre Season in Austria

2»

Comments

• Options
    They play home matches in Dagestsn but the team trains up near Moscow and fly down for games.
  • Options
    Pinkafeld Meisterfrost.

He used to take us for PE.
  • Options
    Out that way on holiday but going back home on 12th.

Graz does have an international airport, BTW, although nothing direct from UK
  • Options
    Can't get back from Pinkafeld to Vienna by public transport, as the last Bus leaves at 19.15. So have booked a central hotel for £25! Get the bus back to Vienna the next day. The July 19th game is a bastard, Pratis is out in the sticks in the hills of southern Austria. I couldn't see anyway of getting there by public transport, so will probably hire a car for two days, see the game and stay over in the area. Do a bit of walking and then drive back to Vienna. Car hire for two days is around £100.
  • Options

Envious of all those going. Nice to recall visiting Graz in May 2010 to see England play Japan in a pre-WC friendly. Excellent tram system in Graz and an interesting tram museum at the rural end of line 1 (Maria Trost).
  • Options
    Having lived in Graz, I can confirm that the city is well worth exploring. As has been said, the public transport system is excellent. A visit to Maria Trost is a must, not only for the pleasant tram journey, but also for the challenge of running up the hundreds of steps to the church. I once watched some extremely penitent and religious folk do the whole climb on their knees!

One of the Addicks games is at Praetis near Sonnhofen, not so far from the main road at Birkfeld. Local rural transport is also excellent in Austria; you can check the website www.postbus.at/en/ which gives all the public transport connections (in English). Most Austrians have a good working knowledge of English and the ones I taught speak with a South London accent! My former students know all about CAFC. Unfortunately anno domini prevents me from cheering on the red boys. Wishing all those who make the journey a safe and pleasant experience.
  • Options
    Think I'll stick with Welling United.
  • Options

Having lived in Graz, I can confirm that the city is well worth exploring. As has been said, the public transport system is excellent. A visit to Maria Trost is a must, not only for the pleasant tram journey, but also for the challenge of running up the hundreds of steps to the church. I once watched some extremely penitent and religious folk do the whole climb on their knees!

One of the Addicks games is at Praetis near Sonnhofen, not so far from the main road at Birkfeld. Local rural transport is also excellent in Austria; you can check the website www.postbus.at/en/ which gives all the public transport connections (in English). Most Austrians have a good working knowledge of English and the ones I taught speak with a South London accent! My former students know all about CAFC. Unfortunately anno domini prevents me from cheering on the red boys. Wishing all those who make the journey a safe and pleasant experience.

Maria Trost seems to be a challenge worth attempting
  • Options
    Can't you just order an Uber cab after the game? (Ducks for cover)
  • Options
    A word of caution/confusion. The SC Pinkafeld site vereine.fussballoesterreich.at/ScHerzPinkafeld/Sportplatz/ as well as having our match kicking off @ 18:00 also has them playing a friendly on the same day kick off 18:30.
    Something's got to give or I'm misreading it. (Which is entirely possible.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On holiday out here and passed near Loipersdorf this afternoon. Thermal spa with golf, is the deal apparently.

Lovely part of the EU, but very quiet, and wine and schnapps rather than beer is the social glue here. Very hot right now, but all change on Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Looking good, Richard !

But you might want to tuck those shorts up .....

:smile:
  • Options

A few days ago I got Manchester to Vienna for £110, but the Easyjet bastards charge £40 hold baggage, so comes out as £150. I am going for a week, (Thurs-Thurs) based in Vienna as I'm doubling up a few Charlton games with a bit of Viennese culture and cafe life. Based in a central 4* hotel, B+B for £400 for 7 nights. Depending on where they play the games I might have to book overnight stays if I can't get back to Vienna. Vienna to Graz is about 2.5hrs. Looking forward to it as I've never been to Vienna.

Vienna's awesome, feels a bit like (the best bits of) France and Germany mixed together. I'm sure Charlton will ruin an otherwise wonderful trip !