Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trainspotting

Comments

• Options
    The Italian double deckers are extremely comfortable stock, and give a great view if you're touring.

The bogs, however.............
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Ha, cafcdave123 ....... you may laugh, but why then are you reading a thread titled Trainspotting?

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

My name is Dave and I'm a trainspotaholic
    I reckon KM is a secret train spotter, you never see her arrive in a company car.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Ha, cafcdave123 ....... you may laugh, but why then are you reading a thread titled Trainspotting?

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

I reckon KM is a secret train spotter, you never see her arrive in a company car.
    Rumour has it she has come in cabbles car a few times :smile:
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

Rumour has it she has come in cabbles car a few times :smile:
    Literally?
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Shit! Anyone know a good solicitor? The missus has just found a pile of these hidden on top of the wardrobe.

• Options

Choo choo.

Trainspotting Live
    Confirmed for BBC Two on 11, 12 and 13 July from 8pm to 9pm

Trainspotting Live will bring three nights of spotting, joy and excitement to BBC Four as Peter Snow, mathematician Dr Hannah Fry and engineer Dick Strawbridge along with a team of rail train enthusiasts revel in the tantalising intricacies, trade secrets and true pleasures of trainspotting... live!

Live from the historic Didcot Rail Museum, Peter Snow will be asking the audience to join the spotting by recording the most frequent to the most elusive trains on the tracks all over country during the three days of live broadcast. Our team of expert spotters will also be waiting in anticipation to catch the full range of British rail stock on camera - from classic steam, to diesel locomotives, to high-speed electric and our rarest beauties - explaining how they did it and delving into their importance in our British heritage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/28/trainspotting-live

It's on BBC4. Choo choo.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Shit! Anyone know a good solicitor? The missus has just found a pile of these hidden on top of the wardrobe.

I see it's dated July 2016 ..... so I guess you've only just bought it.

I found it :-)
  • Options
    I think we may have a few Palarse closet train spotters also. Their chairman owns the 'Lord Dowding' steam locomotive.

This train does heritage rides which are reasonably expensive.

It did an excursion the other week and they had to turf the paying punters off at Stevenage to make their own way home, as the loco was fed with 'The wrong type of coal'.

I kid you not.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think we may have a few Palarse closet train spotters also. Their chairman owns the 'Lord Dowding' steam locomotive.

This train does heritage rides which are reasonably expensive.

It did an excursion the other week and they had to turf the paying punters off at Stevenage to make their own way home, as the loco was fed with 'The wrong type of coal'.

I kid you not.

Didn't he put it on for CP's last away game of the season for the fans to travel on?
  • Options
    Yes, down to Southampton I believe.
  • Options
    This is not strictly related to train-spotting but bear with me.

Glancing through the Sportingold auction catalogue for their next sale, the following item is listed for sale amongst the other Charlton item.

http://www.sportingoldauctions.co.uk/cat_lot2.aspx?Lot=466

Yup, its 2 bus destination boards!

As far as I can see no other club else seems to have similar items for sale amongst their football memorabilia.

It really could only happen to us! :-)
  • Options

This is not strictly related to train-spotting but bear with me.

Glancing through the Sportingold auction catalogue for their next sale, the following item is listed for sale amongst the other Charlton item.

http://www.sportingoldauctions.co.uk/cat_lot2.aspx?Lot=466

Yup, its 2 bus destination boards!

As far as I can see no other club else seems to have similar items for sale amongst their football memorabilia.

It really could only happen to us! :-)

Seriously, I may bid on these, they'll look great mounted on my garage wall.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

You never see her arrive at Charlton station anymore either!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Come out of the closet.
    You know you want to.

FINE

You never see her arrive at Charlton station anymore either!
    I sense a bit of wishful thinking there Elfsborg..
  • Options
    Big talk on the class 66 train on trainspotting live now.
  • Options
    Bugger, missed it :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    What a load of rubbish. Can't believe I'd been looking forward to that. And Peter Snow, he's the worst. He keeps asking questions that have just been answered, if only he was listening.
  • Options

Cringe-worthy. Made my corned beef sandwiches curl up at the edges.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the video clip of the ill fated double decker train one of the passengers is Herbert Morrison, then deputy prime minister in the post war Labour government. He lived at Eltham and was one of the first 'celebrity' Charlton fans. However, there is a much stronger connection between CAFC and trams rather than trains. There is a dwindling number of us left who remember these fine vehicles - the Woolwich Road with lines of trams on routes 36, 38 and 40. And, believe me, they were stacked full of fans on a match day at The Valley. Also some of the players came to the ground by the same way.

One of the Glikstens complained to London Transport that the replacement of trams by buses would adversely affect crowd numbers. The last trams of the first generation ran on 5th July 1952. They were all scrapped at the 'tramatorium' just off Penhall Road.

Many of the trams sported a board on the side which announced NEAR CHARLTON FOOTBALL GROUND. The preserved London tram in the LT Museum had one. And if you really wish to experience some nostalgia, Youtube has the film 'The Elephant Will Never Forget' a prize winning documentary of 1952, and for a flavour of post war life there is the feature film 'The Pool of London' . And yes, one of the scenes is on the top deck of a London tram. Somehow buses just don't have the same magic....

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Taking the train to Paris via Sealink, same carriage all the way, or did I dream that?

Trains. On a boat!
  • Options
    My mum's got some photos and tickets from the last tram day in 52 that were my dads. I'll post them up in here when I get a chance.
  • Options

@FiveGoalSummers - I wrote about LT trams and CAFC in a thread entitled For March51 and all CL-tramistas - Normal Folks Should Look Away Now. May be of interest.
  • Options
    Stig said:

What a load of rubbish. Can't believe I'd been looking forward to that. And Peter Snow, he's the worst. He keeps asking questions that have just been answered, if only he was listening.

Watched it last night for the first time, have to agree Snow's the wrong man. He seems as if he wants to be elsewhere.

Still Full Steam Ahead next week on Thursday night I think, with Ruth what's name and guys that did the Edwardian/Victorian farm series.

• Options

My mum's got some photos and tickets from the last tram day in 52 that were my dads. I'll post them up in here when I get a chance.

Our old friend March51 used to make a few posts on here about remembering the trams in Charlton.

• Options

In memory of March51 and for all the other tram fans (both of you)
  • Options

Any idea on date of above. Clapton Orient narrows it down but not significantly
  • Options

Any idea on date of above. Clapton Orient narrows it down but not significantly

between 1921 and 1952

from the artwork 1930s
  • Options
    edited September 2018

1937 Charlton 1 - 1 Leeds Utd 30,978