Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oyster card

This will sound a simple question for a lot of you I'm sure, but I've always used Travelcards, single tickets when up in London, not Oyster.

However, we're taking my daughter up to the Natural History Museum next week and the plan is to park up at the o2, get the river bus down to embankment, tube to South Kensington, then on the way back get the tube, DLR and the Emirates Air Line back to Greenwich. Long way around I know, but we think she'll like the boat and the cable car!

As there's about 4 different types of transport I thought it'd be easier to get oyster cards rather than queue for tickets each time, but my question is can I pick up and top up Oyster cards at the start of the day at Greenwich?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe.

However, you will have to pay a deposit on each card £5-£10 I think.

Also, the last time I checked Oyster pay as you go doesn't work on the river bus or Dangleway. You get slightly cheaper tickets if you present an Oyster card, but that's about it.
  • Options

This will sound a simple question for a lot of you I'm sure, but I've always used Travelcards, single tickets when up in London, not Oyster.

However, we're taking my daughter up to the Natural History Museum next week and the plan is to park up at the o2, get the river bus down to embankment, tube to South Kensington, then on the way back get the tube, DLR and the Emirates Air Line back to Greenwich. Long way around I know, but we think she'll like the boat and the cable car!

As there's about 4 different types of transport I thought it'd be easier to get oyster cards rather than queue for tickets each time, but my question is can I pick up and top up Oyster cards at the start of the day at Greenwich?

You can get an oyster card at most offys and convenience stores as well as at tube stations, and top them up pretty much anywhere. Just beware of the charges, the boats and the cable car aren't part of the travelcard cap
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

You can get an oyster card at most offys and convenience stores as well as at tube stations, and top them up pretty much anywhere. Just beware of the charges, the boats and the cable car aren't part of the travelcard cap
    Yeah I knew that and don't mind, just thought it might save me queuing up for tickets 4 times (boat, tube twice, air line).
  • Options

Maybe.

However, you will have to pay a deposit on each card £5-£10 I think.

Also, the last time I checked Oyster pay as you go doesn't work on the river bus or Dangleway. You get slightly cheaper tickets if you present an Oyster card, but that's about it.

Checked online and it said you could use Oyster for both?
  • Options
    Yeah you can use it on the river bus (brought in recently) and the cable car. But they aren't included in the fare cap/daily travelcard price so make sure you have additional funds on the card to cover those.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks.

So just need to find somewhere at o2/Greenwich pier to get the cards, and remember to take them back at the end for the deposit back!
  • Options
    Coincidence .. this a.m. I was checking ways to pay for transport in London .. the easiest way for me is simply to use a contactless debit/credit card ..
    the problem I can see is that this might be OK for 1 or 2 people but how do you get 4 or 5 past the gate on one card (or oyster come to that) .. also, if I am right, contactless pay is cheaper than oyster .. anyone know if I am right on this ?
  • Options
    I've never used it but was under the impression it was 1 card per person and I also thought that bank cards and oyster are under the same tariff in terms of the capping.
  • Options
    I always regret not getting more Oyster cards when they were free. Should have known they'd quickly start charging for them.
  • Options
    @colthe3rd is correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have "wireless" bank cards, they are the equivalent & are effectively replacing Oyster.

So I haven't used Oyster for a couple of years.

The only problem is if one doesn't work for an inexplicable reason, so I always carry 2.
  • Options
    Just found out a mate from work has two cards so he's lending me them, will nip in North Greenwich to top them up before goung over to the river bus.

Cheers all.
  • Options

Coincidence .. this a.m. I was checking ways to pay for transport in London .. the easiest way for me is simply to use a contactless debit/credit card ..
    the problem I can see is that this might be OK for 1 or 2 people but how do you get 4 or 5 past the gate on one card (or oyster come to that) .. also, if I am right, contactless pay is cheaper than oyster .. anyone know if I am right on this ?

Contactless and oyster cost the same.
  • Options
    Anyone know how much zone 1-3 day oyster travelcard would be?

Trying and failing to find out on Google!
  • Options
    £7.60 (won't include cable car and river bus, though) - it'll just stop charging you once you reach that amount. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

• Options

£7.60 (won't include cable car and river bus, though) - it'll just stop charging you once you reach that amount. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

Cheers. I can just add that to the river and cable car now.
  • Options

Contactless and oyster cost the same.
    @Sillybilly .. cheers