Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marriage counselling

No piss-taking please, this is a serious request.

A member of the family is having a lot of problems with their marriage at the moment (to the point they've temporarily moved out) around having kids. They're apparently contemplating getting some counselling, so...Have any of you guys/gals used any counselling services in the past? Can you recommend any good ones/ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Soon as you said "no piss taking" I felt a stupid temptation to recommend the marriage counselling of Reverend Lovejoy.

I've had general counselling in the past. This was in Maidstone. Didn't do anything for me to be honest.

Hope you get a decent answer and solution to your connected problem.

I could never get married.... As would probably need counselling only a week later.

A personal sad realization I'm gana end up a miserable lonely old toad replacing possible family life for fishing, golf and clay shooting.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave.
    I know how these threads normally go, hence the "no piss taking" at the start!
  • Options
    A friend has tried this recently and from his description it sounded terrible. He has pretty much accepted that his marriage his beyond redemption but for the sake of his kids he gave counselling a go.

I know I'm only getting one side of the story but it sounded like his wife and the counsellor basically spent the hour long sessions (he did 4) slagging him off! He accepts he isn't perfect, but when you consider it was his wife cheating on him that had triggered the breakdown, then it seems an "odd" approach.

I assume there are various styles and perhaps he just got unlucky, but with that in mind it would probably be worth doing some research into counselling styles and trying to get some positive testimony before committing to a particular format - it can be very expensive as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I know of an organisation call Marriage Resource. They offer free counselling from experienced, fully trained couples and are based in the Hayes, Kent area. If you would like, I could inbox you the details.
  • Options

I know of an organisation call Marriage Resource. They offer free counselling from experienced, fully trained couples and are based in the Hayes, Kent area. If you would like, I could inbox you the details.

If you could please, that would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Soon as you said "no piss taking" I felt a stupid temptation to recommend the marriage counselling of Reverend Lovejoy.

I've had general counselling in the past. This was in Maidstone. Didn't do anything for me to be honest.

Hope you get a decent answer and solution to your connected problem.

I could never get married.... As would probably need counselling only a week later.

A personal sad realization I'm gana end up a miserable lonely old toad replacing possible family life for fishing, golf and clay shooting.

Sounds like you're the winner here!!
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited July 2016
    Relate are very good, if they go early enough, before too much damage has been done, then there will be something to work with. If they have left it too late then they are destined for mediators.
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet I believe it's partly mid-life crisis & part "I'm gonna be xx years old when the kid is old & I've missed my chance". Wife is about 7/8 years younger.

They've put it off due to career stuff & now worried the boat has been missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bedside cabinet wot a old wanker
  • Options

I dread to think what else is in there :smile:
  • Options
    F-Blocker said:

No piss-taking please, this is a serious request.

A member of the family is having a lot of problems with their marriage at the moment (to the point they've temporarily moved out) around having kids. They're apparently contemplating getting some counselling, so...Have any of you guys/gals used any counselling services in the past? Can you recommend any good ones/ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Kids are the greatest thing in the world, so long as you (the adults) don't get outnumbered!
  • Options

That's "an old wanker", you wanker of indeterminate age. Really, what is the point of your post?
  • Options

That's "an old wanker", you wanker of indeterminate age. Really, what is the point of your post?
    He's taking the mick out of @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    Sadly, like many things in life, by the point someone considers marriage counselling the gap between the two parties is already too large.

Also, at the risk of sounding rude, many of these services depend, very much, on the ability of the counsellor and as in many industries there are good ones and not so good ones.

I suggested this to my wife when she announced that she didn't think she was sure she wanted to stay married. She declined the offer but I later realised that what she really meant was that she had already decided to leave, but wanted to break it to me gently.

If the lady is younger and sees 'her time' running out for motherhood she will, probably, need a quick commitment to children or she will fear time slipping away for her. I'm guessing that unless he is going to change his mind no amount of talking about it will change that. I'd also suggest that if he convinces her not to have them she will become resentful and there will be, virtually, no marriage worth saving. My advice to your friend would for him to seriously consider having them but then I can't imagine my life having any meaning if I didn't have my son now.

I wish them both the best of luck!
  • Options

It's old.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The O.P said this was an argument about Children

If he is older and feels he has missed his chance to have kids he is being a fool.

The man is fertile for many, many years. You have very rarely missed your chance to be a dad.

If he is younger he may feel he can leave it another few years.

He's not taking into account his partner's age, fears and situation.

If she is older, she may feel time limited and won't want to wait for him to be ready as that may be too late.

She has a point, but needs to realise a child in a broken marriage will see the arguments, they will see that their dad never wanted to be.

She could be lucky and the pregnancy if it comes sparks that paternal instinct in him.

If she is younger, the desperation will come from one of two things (in most cases):

- Immaturity, she doesn't realise she has a while and should live life for now.
    or
    - An underlying health issue, There are many conditions that will make her worry that the longer she waits the less likely she is to be able to have children.

By the way feel free to shut me down anyone, I'm not a councillor, but communicating is the biggest breakdown that causes ANY argument.

Silent treatment is not the way, neither is having a strop because your partner wants to talk about something that scares you.

Talking, openly and honestly without arguing is always the best first step.

I know I'm only getting one side of the story but it sounded like his wife and the counsellor basically spent the hour long sessions (he did 4) slagging him off! He accepts he isn't perfect, but when you consider it was his wife cheating on him that had triggered the breakdown, then it seems an "odd" approach.

I don't think any professional councillor would be targeting either party.

What probably happened is the councillor was trying to get your mate to realise which of his actions drove his wife into cheating. Why she didn't feel attracted to him anymore.

Had he stopped trying?

Was he too much of a walk over?

Was the romance gone?

Were they both just bored of the same old routine?

Was he flirting with and eyeing up other women?

Had he gained weight and started eating poorly without trying to remain in some kind of shape for her?

So much effort goes into keeping the love alive in a relationship, a lot of that effort is subconscious. You don't realise you're doing but because of that you don't realise you've stopped doing it.

There's a very good chance she tried to rekindle their feelings for one another before being led astray.

This in no way excuses her actions. If she didn't love him anymore she should have ended it.

If you cheat, at that moment you're not in love with your partner.

It certainly can be recovered from though. You can fall back in love, providing you both still have some of those quirks that made you fall for one another in the first place.

A marriage based on looks alone is often doomed to fail as personality is what you still have when the looks are fading.

Sadly, like many things in life, by the point someone considers marriage counselling the gap between the two parties is already too large.

This just isn't true. Whilst some relationships are already over by the time counselling is considered this doesn't apply to all.

The biggest issue today is too many people (I'm not saying this was your situation @kings hill addick ) give up without ever having tried to repair their bonds.
  • Options

They know each other outside of CL I believe. Could be wrong though they may both just like being mean to one another and talking about each other w***ing.

Some kind of weird kink?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

They know each other outside of CL I believe
    . Could be wrong though they may both just like being mean to one another and talking about each other w***ing.

Some kind of weird kink?
    True, unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Hello mate. I'm recently separated and there is no going back for us. When you know you know sort of thing. No kids, so quite lucky in that respect. Every relationship is different and we didn't do counselling. The only advice I can pass on is for you to advise both parties to go with their gut instinct. It might seem like taking a casual attitude, but you can't compromise on these things IMO.

If they both want to make it work then they will find a way, with or without counselling.

I would advise you just ask him whether he really wants it. If yes, then fight for it, if not, don't, because you can't force that
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

This just isn't true. Whilst some relationships are already over by the time counselling is considered this doesn't apply to all.

The biggest issue today is too many people (I'm not saying this was your situation @kings hill addick ) give up without ever having tried to repair their bonds.
    Firstly, I meant to say that in many cases by the point counselling is considered it is already too late. My mistake! This depends on the individuals but in many cases the breakdown isn't even discussed until one party has already made up their mind. Just like falling in love creeps up on you, so does falling out of love and if you wake up one day and realise that it's gone then there is no counselling that will being it back. I agree with you that people give up too easily, but there is an argument that a lost cause is a lost cause and the longer one fights it the more painful the inevitable is going to be.

And I believe that you are wrong, or have a different definition of love, if you think that one person cannot love someone yet get involved with someone else at the same time.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

They know each other outside of CL I believe. Could be wrong though they may both just like being mean to one another and talking about each other w***ing.

Some kind of weird kink?
    'bedside cabinet wanker' is fighting talk
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Before you read further, remember that due to my age, I could be wrong. The following is based on my experiences and opinions. I am 28 and you'll probably discount my opinions as such.

Dazzler21 said:

Firstly, I meant to say that in many cases by the point counselling is considered it is already too late. My mistake! This depends on the individuals but in many cases the breakdown isn't even discussed until one party has already made up their mind. Just like falling in love creeps up on you, so does falling out of love and if you wake up one day and realise that it's gone then there is no counselling that will being it back. I agree with you that people give up too easily, but there is an argument that a lost cause is a lost cause and the longer one fights it the more painful the inevitable is going to be.

And I believe that you are wrong, or have a different definition of love, if you think that one person cannot love someone yet get involved with someone else at the same time.
    Having Love for someone and being In Love with someone are two different things.

to be 'In love' means no one else counts, no one else is as beautiful or attractive as that person. Not just physically, but in terms of emotion, intelligence, sense of humour etc...

Having 'love' for someone is different, you care for them but you don't feel all of the above for them.

Sure you love them but you're bored of something about them or there is something that really irritates you almost to the point of hating that thing or being disgusted by it... that's not being in love.

But then I'm young and have been with my better half since we were 16. Childhood sweethearts some might say.

I have loved her from the day I met her.

After a couple of months I knew I was 'in love'.

I have never had a day where I haven't felt I was in love with her since. We still go on dates (with one another obvs). We still argue now and then. We make up again and all is well. I still buy her flowers, she still fills me with confidence.

I genuinely cannot imagine ever feeling how I do about her about someone else.

Maybe I'm an old school romantic at heart. Or maybe I've just been lucky maybe it's both.

Or being I'm 28 maybe like with all things Charlton, reality will come crumbling down on my head one day!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Before you read further, remember that due to my age, I could be wrong. The following is based on my experiences and opinions. I am 28 and you'll probably discount my opinions as such.

Dazzler21 said:

Having Love for someone and being In Love with someone are two different things.

to be 'In love' means no one else counts, no one else is as beautiful or attractive as that person. Not just physically, but in terms of emotion, intelligence, sense of humour etc...

Having 'love' for someone is different, you care for them but you don't feel all of the above for them.

Sure you love them but you're bored of something about them or there is something that really irritates you almost to the point of hating that thing or being disgusted by it... that's not being in love.

But then I'm young and have been with my better half since we were 16. Childhood sweethearts some might say.

I have loved her from the day I met her.

After a couple of months I knew I was 'in love'.

I have never had a day where I haven't felt I was in love with her since. We still go on dates (with one another obvs). We still argue now and then. We make up again and all is well. I still buy her flowers, she still fills me with confidence.

I genuinely cannot imagine ever feeling how I do about her about someone else.

Maybe I'm an old school romantic at heart. Or maybe I've just been lucky maybe it's both.

Or being I'm 28 maybe like with all things Charlton, reality will come crumbling down on my head one day!
    I hope not. It sounds like you have the real deal!
  • Options

Do you mean they're having problems because they can't decide whether to have kids or not? If so, we had the same thing. When we got together, neither of us wanted kids but my wife changed and decided she did. I was in a shit position as as we had/have such a great relationship but I felt I couldn't deny her the right to have children. In the end, she wrote down the pros/cons of having a kid and said we wouldn't discuss it for 6 months (which we didn't). After 6 months, I had come around to the idea and am so glad I did.

I kept the piece of paper with the pros/cons and have it in my bedside cabinet.

As well as pros and cons, it's also helpful to be honest with themselves about why they do or don't want kids. Do they want a little mini-me, want to be able to pass on family traditions, folklore and values, enjoy seeing how kids change and grow, and contribute to their development? Are they worried about the responsibility, the expense, the effect pregnancy will have on their body (her), the effect pregnancy will have on their marriage (him), or are afraid they will turn into their parents? If they can't have kids naturally, what alternatives are they prepared to consider (the answer to this is often related to the first point)?

There are no right answers to these questions, but a good counsellor can help them articulate what they think about these issues, and the reasoning and/or gut feelings that underly them. Whether they can come to an agreement that allows them to stay together depends on how heavily entrenched they are in their present positions, or if understanding more fully where the other is coming from enables them to work out a compromise that works for both of them.
  • Options

My mate went for couples counselling with his now ex-wife. I had t laugh out loud when he told me this.

At a session he was asked about how he felt about her, and advised to be honest. He said that he loved her but was no longer sexually attracted to her as he found her too thin. (She had lost a lot of weight 5' 7" -under 7st) Anyway the counsellor absolutely slated him for putting her down. Fortunately they divorced and she is happily with someone else and now pregnant. Incidentally the reason they split up was she wanted kids and he didn't even want it on the table for discussion. He had made this clear at the outset of their relationship and held firm all the way through. She still married him after a three year courtship, then a few years in went to work on the children issues. It soon folded like a deck of cards. Strangely he's now 44 and trying for a baby with current girlfriend. Sometimes it's the relationship that's not right for you.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Hello mate. I'm recently separated and there is no going back for us. When you know you know sort of thing. No kids, so quite lucky in that respect. Every relationship is different and we didn't do counselling. The only advice I can pass on is for you to advise both parties to go with their gut instinct. It might seem like taking a casual attitude, but you can't compromise on these things IMO.

If they both want to make it work then they will find a way, with or without counselling.

I would advise you just ask him whether he really wants it. If yes, then fight for it, if not, don't, because you can't force that

Things didn't work out with Katrien, huh?
    No, things didn't work out with my Mrs which paved the way for me to hook up with Katrien.......
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Do you mean they're having problems because they can't decide whether to have kids or not? If so, we had the same thing. When we got together, neither of us wanted kids but my wife changed and decided she did. I was in a shit position as as we had/have such a great relationship but I felt I couldn't deny her the right to have children. In the end, she wrote down the pros/cons of having a kid and said we wouldn't discuss it for 6 months (which we didn't). After 6 months, I had come around to the idea and am so glad I did.

I kept the piece of paper with the pros/cons and have it in my bedside cabinet.

As well as pros and cons, it's also helpful to be honest with themselves about why they do or don't want kids. Do they want a little mini-me, want to be able to pass on family traditions, folklore and values, enjoy seeing how kids change and grow, and contribute to their development? Are they worried about the responsibility, the expense, the effect pregnancy will have on their body (her), the effect pregnancy will have on their marriage (him), or are afraid they will turn into their parents? If they can't have kids naturally, what alternatives are they prepared to consider (the answer to this is often related to the first point)?

There are no right answers to these questions, but a good counsellor can help them articulate what they think about these issues, and the reasoning and/or gut feelings that underly them. Whether they can come to an agreement that allows them to stay together depends on how heavily entrenched they are in their present positions, or if understanding more fully where the other is coming from enables them to work out a compromise that works for both of them.
    I didn't want a mini me and am pretty sure my wife didn't either!

With regards to having them naturally, we agreed to start trying in the new year and if she hadn't fallen by May, stop and have a big holiday (Australia, Far East).

She fell pregnant after 3-4 weeks. I remember saying to her "I'll throw all these bloody brochures away then shall I"